The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barn Brat's tell me about your barn enemie and i'll tell you about mine.

share your stories i'll read them and then tell you about mine

Keep it funny, please. Thanks!

Mod 2

Barn cats who try to sharpen their claws on your horse's waterproof turnout!

Barn cats who jump on your car and then slide down (taking paint with them!)

Mice who take up residence in your saddle pads...which is why we have barn cats, and thus no longer have the mouse problem.
    Just because I talk slow doesn't mean that I actually AM slow.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

In warm weather:
    *Spiders the size of chihuahuas who look like they could grab the broom I use to dislodge them & their webs and whack me back with it
    *Starlings who nest in my "birdproof" ridge and raise noisy families of flight-challenged fledglings that crash around my barn until they figure out it is open to the outdoors. At least they amuse the barn cat...

Now:
    *Snowfall that freezes shut the barn doors I use to fill the trough or dump manure so I have to make like a football linebacker and force them open.
    This is most fun when the frozen track gives way and both door & I go flying
    *overweight field mice that appear out of nowhere running along at shoulder-level on the barn's wainscotting or tunneling under the stalls like mini-Viet Cong
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Chubby barn cats that sleep on my cooler while the even more chubby barn mice run right past their noses. I swear the cats don't even bat an eye... so much for mousers.

Frozen pipes

Frozen hoses

Hoses that stay permanently kinked

And why does it never fail that when it is too cold to use the hose and I have to use buckets to water... I always manage to dump water down my boots. And it always seems to be when it is 20* or less outside.

Quote Originally Posted by seeuatx View Post
    Chubby barn cats that sleep on my cooler while the even more chubby barn mice run right past their noses. I swear the cats don't even bat an eye... so much for mousers.

Frozen pipes

Frozen hoses

Hoses that stay permanently kinked

And why does it never fail that when it is too cold to use the hose and I have to use buckets to water... I always manage to dump water down my boots. And it always seems to be when it is 20* or less outside.
    We lead parallel lives

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    In warm weather:
    *Spiders the size of chihuahuas who look like they could grab the broom I use to dislodge them & their webs and whack me back with it
    *Starlings who nest in my "birdproof" ridge and raise noisy families of flight-challenged fledglings that crash around my barn until they figure out it is open to the outdoors. At least they amuse the barn cat...

Now:
    *Snowfall that freezes shut the barn doors I use to fill the trough or dump manure so I have to make like a football linebacker and force them open.
    This is most fun when the frozen track gives way and both door & I go flying
    *overweight field mice that appear out of nowhere running along at shoulder-level on the barn's wainscotting or tunneling under the stalls like mini-Viet Cong
    I need a new keyboard now!!

Mine: The extended family of pigeons that have taken up residence in the indoor arena. They seem to find great joy in intentionally scaring the bejesus out of the horses - one even attacked one of the horses, latching onto its browband!

My rooster.

'Nuff said.

The farm owner's adult daughter who keeps buying intact animals and not getting them fixed.

Newest tom cat has sprayed my fellow boarder's 3 blankets and crapped on my hay.

That cat had better hope the other boarder catches him first, cuz if Mr. C'Mare sees him again, it'll be SSS in short order.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Armadillos who plow the mulch around the barn as if they were going to plant corn.
    I just sigh and unplow it cause how are you going to do something terrible to something that doesn't even have the sense to run from you.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Skunks who come to the door and spray when your near sighted husband thinks they're your cat and tries to get him in for the night.

Quote Originally Posted by chai View Post
    Skunks who come to the door and spray when your near sighted husband thinks they're your cat and tries to get him in for the night.
    Tea on keyboard!

Wasps that make nests bigger than my head right where the loft door opens.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

The local racoon who has the audacity to waltz right into the feed room while I am setting up pm feed without any sense of fear or cowardess so he can snack on the cat food. I, on the other hand, am forced to jump on top of the feed bags and play joisting match with a broom handle trying to get said racoon to leave me in peace (and rabies free).

The mare in our barn who time after time insists on peeing on the 1' square of her stall that isn't matted (my sub par cutting skills are the main culprit I will admit). I curse her everytime my pitch fork gets caught on the mat edge and sends it's contents flying all over the place. Stupid mares - we should all have geldings who pee in the freakin' center of the stall!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Dogs that are so comfortable around horses that they run underfoot... I'm'a lookin' at YOU, Corgis, if I'm leading a horse and carrying a saddle and you get under my feet I'm going to fall on top of you!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

3 cheers for Bluepony for thinking up this post. I have been sitting at my desk LMAO to the point that everyone around me is asking questions!!!

When filling water buckets by hand because the hose is frozen, the tape falls off and into the water with the only way to turn it off is diving into the water to retrieve it

There is something living in my horse's stall. I don't know what it is, but it makes a BIG hole under the corner. I have never seen it... not sure I want to. Sometimes it worries me.

Louie is a live-and-let-live sort of guy. It could be most anything, and he'd be like, hum-de-dum. 6-legged giant rat ok, whatever. As long as it doesn't eat my food. "Cause all this food is mine!

The pidgeons above the arena... ugh. I always keep a hat on in there. And who told those stupid birds they are supposed to reproduce in the dead of winter? Do they think they're owls?
    "Uh, if you're going to try that, shouldn't you unplug it first?"

A mean old stray that every time he beats up my barn cats, they get abcesses. Now he is no longer afraid of me and comes right into the barn when I am there...gotta stop procrastinating and trap him.

There is a small gap between the bottom of the barn walls and the floor. Damn hose ALWAYS gets stuck under it.

The grass may not be growing now but the weeds are. And in the summer when the grass is growing, the weeds grow faster. I refuse to spray so I have to dig them up, What a waste of time.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    ROTFL...I now have this image of little camoflague mice in little rice-farmer hats and carrying teeny AK-47s, creating a Ho Chi Minh trail under the barn aisle to the feed room....

Rienzi: your giant-hole stall guest sounds a lot like our resident groundhog/woodchuck, who tunneled not just in our barn but under every outbuilding we have. Though one morning we came in and the horse had kicked out the stall boards, but we never had digging IN the stalls again...I think he tried to come in at the wrong time.