The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Crazed fox

For the past week, we have had a crazed fox running around our property all night long.... barking. The first night my husband and i heard it, we thought it was the neighbor's dog... but i looked out my window and saw the fox in the moonlight. My dogs were going crazy because the fox was barking so loudly and circling around and around our property for several hours. I didn't dare let them out because i knew that would get ugly. Nobody slept much that night. It has continued now for 5 nights! Is the fox rabid, or just looking for his family? Either way, is there anything i can do to get some friggin' sleep?
    Founding member of the GDI clique...

lol!! well, that's a relief! So he's not crazed...just horny!!
    Founding member of the GDI clique...

Quote Originally Posted by jacksorbetter View Post
    lol!! well, that's a relief! So he's not crazed...just horny!!
    HA!

We've had a couple foxes running around our property. Saw two around our ring today. I heard when they "speak" they sound like someone trying to torture their grandmother? That's what I've heard.

Wait till he finds a girlfriend and they start screaming like someone being murdered slowly in the woods at night when you are in the barn alone!! heart attack city, every year.

Default Hay

Maybe this is why our horses have been so freaked out at night lately?
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Young males are great for doing that during mating season. Also they love to actually tease dogs we've watched them come up near the barns and bark then run like hell when the dogs go after them. A few times we've seen the fox circle around and come back then sit and wait for the dogs. Their so much smarter then the coyotes and harder to trap.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

I've never heard a fox bark....does it really sound like a domestic dog?

My two dogs (golden mix and dalmatian) saw a fox on our adventure the other day...they were too far out in front of me and saw him before I did. As they approached him..all I could think was "Dear lord, please don't kill him"(my golden has a huge hunt instinct...beautiful BIG red fox. I was amazed, they literally sniffed him and then just turned around and came back, left him to go his merry way.

The first time I heard a deer, I thought I was in Jurassic Park (sounds very much like the Raptors in that movie. ) Such a strange sound for such a large animal.

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    Young males are great for doing that during mating season. Also they love to actually tease dogs we've watched them come up near the barns and bark then run like hell when the dogs go after them. A few times we've seen the fox circle around and come back then sit and wait for the dogs. Their so much smarter then the coyotes and harder to trap.

Guess now we know where the phrase.."Sly as a Fox" came from.
    Foxes are one of my favorite animals......both red and gray. I was sad to see a big red one dead on the highway this AM...I guess the mating season explains it.

Don't forget to say, Tally Ho!

Fox are VERY busy right now. The males will be traveling out of their territory in search for a little love in the mist so to speak. You may see them more often in the daytime as well.

I enjoy listening to them and hope you do too.

There are two times of year you'll see more dead fox in or around roads. In the early fall, cubs (young fox) strike out and seek their own territory and get hit by cars. This time of year, fox are more active trying to find mates and also get hit by cars.

Quote Originally Posted by IsolaBella09 View Post
    HA!

I heard when they "speak" they sound like someone trying to torture their grandmother? That's what I've heard.
    That is a very good description. The first time I heard it, I said to my husband (who grew up in the country) that it sounded like something was getting murdered outside. It was winter and dark and scared the c*&p out of me when I went outside and heard it really close to me. He laughed and said it was a fox.

I heard them barking early this am when I was feeding, the bark got louder, and when I looked out, the male barked at me twice, then trotted across the field with Mrs. Fox. It was a sharp sound, maybe like a highpitched terrier dog.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    I've never heard a fox bark....does it really sound like a domestic dog?
    No--it's much more shrill and almost like a cross between a yappy dog and a shrieking cockatoo. And, as mentioned, when they are doing mating calls, it does sound like someone is being eviscerated.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Fox are super intelligent. Neatest thing I ever saw was about thirty years ago. Our land is surrounded by timberland and at that time there were no other homes on this road. I had a dobie and a malamute who ran free but never ever left our property. There was a guy who would bring his hounds down here to hunt fairly often. One day I was in the back pasture and we could hear hounds coming. My dogs ran to the line and waited. Suddenly a little fox ran out of the woods right by the dogs and went and sat down under a tree, her/his tongue hanging down. The hounds hit the line and my dogs immediately sent them packing back the way they'd come. The little fox stood up and went on her way. I swear she HAD to know how this was going to go and probably led the hounds here to get them off her back. No telling how many times she'd done this, probably first time by accident.
    The next year there was a fox den in the back pasture and I imagine it was the same fox.
    What place could have been safer?
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Well that explains it for me too.
    I've been wondering why the neighbors (they have pugs) would have their dogs out so late...
    Foxes are welcome at 2 Dogs, as long as they leave my little barncat alone!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Talking jmho!

I think they sound like cheewowa's being electrocuted!!!

Foxes always better to hear than coyotes! imho!!

Wink

When the cats are in at night coyotes sound neat! When one is doing an overnighter, I worry.

Fox are seldom seen, and seldom heard around here.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Bank of Dad View Post
    It was a sharp sound, maybe like a highpitched terrier dog.
    Yup, they sound like my daughter's little pomeranian/terrier mix when they're barking. It's terrible when they're screaming!
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

Default What a fox sounds like...

They make a multitude of noises, some of them very eerie, all of them fascinating (to me anyway). I hear them often and saw a gorgeous one just the other morning crossing my paddock.

Here's a neat site that has sound clips of the different fox calls:
    http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/thefoxden/sounds.html
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Down at the barn this twilight, the coyotes were howling off in the distance and also barking and chittering. Lots of them seemed to be congregating in one area along the bayou where it joins the river.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

The first time I heard foxes doing their mating call I woke up with the hair standing up on the back of my neck...I was convinced that someone was performing a satanic ritual on small children in the woods that surrounded me...I mentioned it the following morning to the clerk at the local store and she laughed and laughed and told me what the deal was....I was pretty embarrassed....