The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Unconventional Horse Shoes

Does anyone use any other type of horse shoes than steel, or aluminium, etc? I saw an advertisement for a rubber type horse shoe which is similar to the material used to make running shoes, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them? If so, how do you find them? Do they reduce leg stress, etc?

My horse was wearing Eponas: http://www.eponashoe.com/

My farrier wanted to try something different and put her in some fancy Al shoe in front with steel behind, and she does not like these new shoes as much as the Epona. I imagine we'll be putting her back in the Eponas next time.

I'm no help since my horse is currently barefoot, and as long as his feet stay this awesome barefoot he'll stay! But I'm very interested to learn more about these types of shoes.
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by _downpour_ View Post
    Does anyone use any other type of horse shoes than steel, or aluminium, etc? I saw an advertisement for a rubber type horse shoe which is similar to the material used to make running shoes, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them? If so, how do you find them? Do they reduce leg stress, etc?
    Check out the soundhorse.com web site

Forget about it. Plastic and rubber shoes are trash. If your horse needs shoeing get it done right. Especially keep away from any product thats marketing is aimed at horse owners
    George

Were not shoes like this tried by a couple of police departments in the early 2000s and found wanting? I seem to remember reading that they had a rash of lower leg lameness, particularly in front, as the rubber/plastic material allowed too much lateral action, stressing the lower joints.

I used to have a link but it got lost in a crash a few years back.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by riana View Post
    My horse was wearing Eponas: http://www.eponashoe.com/

My farrier wanted to try something different and put her in some fancy Al shoe in front with steel behind, and she does not like these new shoes as much as the Epona. I imagine we'll be putting her back in the Eponas next time.
    Great shoes, those Eponas. If any of my barefooters ever need shoes again, that's what it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by JHUshoer20 View Post
    Forget about it. Plastic and rubber shoes are trash. If your horse needs shoeing get it done right. Especially keep away from any product thats marketing is aimed at horse owners
    George
    My horse would disagree with you. She's sounder and happier in Eponas.

Polyflex shoes are the "rage" these days.
    http://www.burnspolyflex.com/trainers/bpf/

My mare currently has Equithotics, aka Sneaker Shoes, on her fronts. She came up front end lame (right front tracking left on hard ground) back in August. She had an MRI in September and all they could find was thin soles. She was down to 6 mm of sole. We put her in sneakers shoes with a wedge on her front right. 12 weeks later she was sound in both directions on hard ground. My farrier considers sneakers to be a theraputic type shoe and would like to change her into something else once she's given a chance to grow back some sole and is still sound in work.

http://www.equithotics.com/

The fat palomino goes in Epona's and hasn't been happier since. But, he is much sounder on soft ground to begin with, so it makes sense.

The Sigafoo's are kind of a mixture...certainly not straight steel.

If your farrier is UTD and your horse needs them, I have seen shoes made of wood applied.

George
    FALSE.

A friend of mine has had her horses going in Eponas for years and LOVES them. The shoes really hold up, they're comfortable, they wear well, and the horses are much happier than they were in steel shoes. If I needed to shoe my horses, Epona is where I'd turn. I'm looking into doing their certification classes to learn how to apply them. I think they could be a great tool for some horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    FALSE.

A friend of mine has had her horses going in Eponas for years and LOVES them. The shoes really hold up, they're comfortable, they wear well, and the horses are much happier than they were in steel shoes. If I needed to shoe my horses, Epona is where I'd turn. I'm looking into doing their certification classes to learn how to apply them. I think they could be a great tool for some horses.
    Well for crying out loud why does it not surprise me that you'd love the crap out of them? What happened to your beloved booties?

Make friends with somebody who likes shoes already
    George

JHUshoer20, I have seen pink and purple horse shoes and clips shaped like horse heads. I mentioned them to my farrier and I saw him flinch, for some reason I think you'd have a problem with them too!

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    JHUshoer20, I have seen pink and purple horse shoes and clips shaped like horse heads. I mentioned them to my farrier and I saw him flinch, for some reason I think you'd have a problem with them too!
    I know the ones your talking about and uh lets just say they wouldn't be my first choice in hoofwear either.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by riana View Post
    My horse would disagree with you. She's sounder and happier in Eponas.
    My husband's gelding would agree with your mare. He's been in Eponas for over 3 years now, and they've been the best thing for him. He has a history of navicular-related problems and these shoes have achieved a very nice level of comfort for him, unlike the countless other variations that were tried in the past (including barefoot, which was a 2-year effort).

Not only does he move best in Eponas, but he's noticeably more comfortable when they're being applied (my farrier nails them on vs gluing) since the concussion from the hammer is much less on the plastic than on steel or aluminum. A lot of thought and trial and error have gone into Eponas, and they've been the answer for my gelding.

That said, Eponas did not work well for my mare. She couldn't keep them on, even with the fact that Eponas have two steel "stiffeners" embedded in the shoe to help keep the nails stable.

So, IMO, it depends on the horse, just like pretty much everything else.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    ROFL I think I'll get those for my mare. I'm thinking pink on the front and purple on the rear...no...maybe pink on one front and one rear and purple on one front and one rear.
    Then maybe a pink saddle pad and the saddle a lady tried to sell me once which was purple.
    wouldn't that be "loverly".
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by pj View Post
    ROFL I think I'll get those for my mare. I'm thinking pink on the front and purple on the rear...no...maybe pink on one front and one rear and purple on one front and one rear.
    Easy now, you might give poor George heart failure. He believes shoes should be metal, serviceable and traditional.

Maybe he is an old soul

But pink might throw him into a fit

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    My husband's gelding would agree with your mare. He's been in Eponas for over 3 years now, and they've been the best thing for him.
    I'm giving them a trial run, so to speak, they should be here tomorrow.

I'm going to glue/nail them on to my Morgan and see what I think.

Looking forward to experimenting.

Glad to hear others like them as well.

Regards,

Well for crying out loud why does it not surprise me that you'd love the crap out of them? What happened to your beloved booties?

Make friends with somebody who likes shoes already
    George
    Just for clarification - babies wear booties. Horses wear hoof boots. You might want to get your terminology correct if you wish to discuss them.

I use hoof boots - I love hoof boots. I never said I "love the crap" out of Eponas. I said I have a FRIEND who loves them, and I am interested in learning to use them as well because they COULD be a tool for certain horses. I never said I "love the crap" out of them. Reading comprehension tends to make conversations easier to follow George.