The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

I think the negative tone of this thread has come from one person, who has a history of negative, attackative () posts on the other boards. The rest has been an interesting discussion.

FWIW, I don't have dogs, just cats. I just got a new kitten, and he will be vaccinated properly, even though he will be an indoor only kitty and my other cat is an indoor only kitty who is also UTD on her vaccines. The only pet I've ever had that's had a problem with vaccines is a Siamese cat that lives with my parents. He had a very bad reaction to his yearly vaccines (he became very itchy and his breathing became labored). We didn't know what he reacted to, so the next year, we separated his vaccines and he had the same reaction to his rabies vaccine. Since he is indoor only and the other cats are vaccinated, we made the decision to stop vaccinating him. For him, the risks definitely outweigh the benefits. If he were an outdoor cat, we might reconsider (he recovered well with Benadryl and steroid shots).

As far as vets go, in this area, I have never been to a vet that did not recommend yearly vaccines (of all vaccines).

My horse is also vaccinated yearly, but last summer I moved her to a different barn. She is due for shots this spring, and the BO gave me a list what their vets routinely vaccinate for. The normal ones are on there, plus Strangles, which she has never had before. I think I've read some bad things before on the Horse Care board about the Strangles vaccine, so I'm going to do some more investigating before I give her that vaccine. As someone said before, it's what you can live with....

As far as people go, I do believe that all kids should be immunized. What I have a problem with is doing 3 or 4 vaccines all at once...when I have kids, I will give them all of their shots, but I want them to be given individually. (By this, I don't mean split up the MMR, for example, but not give the MMR with the DTaP and Hep vaccines). If it were feasible to do this with my mare, I would.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

As with any thread, if anyone feels a post is inappropriate or would like us to have a look at a thread, please send us an alert.

We've taken action on this thread regarding the tone, in an effort to regain a productive atmosphere and are happy to continue to take action--both in the threads themselves and behind the scenes--to maintain a positive atmophere that fosters debate, but not personal commentary, etc.

Thanks for your input, now back to the OT!
    Mod 1

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Deltawave is a cardiologist, a people doctor.

I am a mostly retired horse trainer/ranch, farm and wildlife manager, that's all.
    Although I came from a science background, what we were studying 40+ years ago is light years different from what we know today.
    I have kept up some with the changes, but I defer to those that are working right now in the field.

For this kind of information as is debated here, I ask my vets and they look things up and then get back to me.
    Vets today have an internet group, VIN, where they can keep up and ask questions of other experts and try to keep abreast of all new information.
    That is a big task. Some put figures of how science information is advancing today at the rate of doubling every 18 months.

No earthly way that any one can keep with all that and still have a professional life, so they depend on others in each little section of knowledge to inform all of what is proven and relevant in any changes.

Biologicals, that is vaccines and protocols for those are, for what they tell me, one of those fields where there is so much going on and not that much definite today, the field is so fluid and we are still learning with a steep upwards curve.

I also say a big thanks for those professionals that take the time to read here and explain how things work.
    That is why myself and others are reading here, for those nuggets of information that can help us do a better job of caring for our charges.
    Well said!! The AAEP has a dedicated site that my vet uses, and loves.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by iamincognito View Post
    I had to register with an alias for this tidbit:

The Rabies vaccine is a 3 year vaccine. Many veterinarians will list the vaccine as a 1 year if you are a "problem client" and do not come in for yearly vaccines. Also, if you do not have a current Rabies certificate most state require veterinarians to issue a 1 year certificate rather than a 3 year. I believe this is for licensing purposes more than anything. A way to keep better track of potential "system" abusers.

The vaccine itself however, is a three year regardless.
    I can't believe how inflammatory and absurd this post is. The first time an animal gets a rabies vaccine, it is only "good" for one year, no matter how old the animal is. If the veterinarian has never vaccinated the animal for rabies before, and there is no rabies certificate, how is the vet to know the vaccine history? Go on someone's word?

The rabies vaccine is not a "three year regardless" either. There are one and three year vaccines. You might want to do a little research before you spout off nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    I did indeed ask him about titers last night -- again -- and they are used in humans to assess immunity. Titers measure the amount of antibodies against a specific antigen in the bloomstream. This is known as humoral immunity. B cells produce antibodies.
    And yet the President of the USA elected to get another vaccination for small pox (around the time of the anthrax scare after 9/11) as it seems nobody knows if the vaccine most of us born before 1970 received (and it was a nasty one with lots of side effects) would still be protective even though there are still measurable antibodies for the disease. And it's doubtful anyone would challenge test it.

So? It's not as though he's someone I would emulate, anyway.

Would love to hear more about the dog and cat food! I have read about the raw diets but I don't think that is a good idea (raw meat that is). I would like to learn more about home made food.

Regarding Vacs: I do what my vet recommends
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

I would be happy to discuss home made diets with anyone via PM. I have some interesting resources that I have been very happy with so far. However, I will no longer be participating in this thread.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.