The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Petsafe

invisible Fence. We have a lab and a boxer who would take regular tours of the neighborhood. Installed the fence and have not had a single problem in 3 years....

except when a tree in my back yard was hit by lightning, which was right by the wire and it followed the wire right into my house. Fortunately we had the grounder-thingy and damage was minimal. It was a little scary however to see the burn mark on the exterior of the house! They had to replace a 5 ft. section of the fence.
    ** I LOVE PUIKA & SHELLA FAN CLUB*** member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Good job R&G!
    You may now add Horsesaver Extraordinaire to your resume

I bought the PetSafe Stubborn Dog System, opened it up and immediately thought "what a PITA!" That was two years ago and my dog was digging out under our chain link fence during thunderstorms. I then bought 4"x4" landscape timbers and short pieces of rebar. I laid the timbers along the chain link fence and hammered them in place with the rebar (making sure the rebar was flush with the timber). I also dug shallow trenches along the gates and poured concrete. Yes, I think all of this was easier than installing the invisible fence.

Well, we've been in a drought for the past 9 months so no thunderstorms. Plus the dog has gone blind and is so lost in space she has no interest in digging out. I bring her in if it storms too much to lessen the fear. BUT, all of the trim along EVERY door in my kitchen is chewed up

Put it on eBay this week...hope I can at least get some of my $200 back!

Default Petsafe

I found the fence very easy to install. I also have a dog that's completely blind. He can't even see shadows. He's only 8 and has been blind for two years. The petsafe fence has been a God send for him because his collar beeps and vibrates when he is too far from the house. It keeps him safely in the yard and he "knows" where he is. I would highly recommend it for blind or sight impaired dogs.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    A good fence does two things: keeps your animals in and other people's animals out. The "hidden fences" only do one thing (maybe). I don't recommend them on that basis alone.

G.
    I totally agree with this! Our poor neighbor's dog was getting beat up by wandering dogs traveling into her yard since there was no fence to keep them out.

An important point not noted yet.....if you have a breed known to be territorial, they are not going to let just any person or any dog wander through their territory. I own Dobermans who would bark and chase a kid cutting through our back woods. A running screaming child does not good neighbors make! (However, I don't think I'll ever have posts about strangers riding my horses uninvited!)

I have always had real fences for the protection of my dogs and my kids.

Smile invisible fence

We have had dogwatch for 15 years and are very happy with it. Our Jack russell has occasionally decided to go thru it but it has been better by far than without it. the springer spaniels have stayed in and we fee much better aobut no dogs in the horse field or road.

I LOVE my invisible fence. This product has made life for my two labs so much more enjoyable. They are so happy. They can be with us when we are outside and I am not spending time collecting loose dogs or screaming at them to "COME HERE!!!" We fenced about 2 acres around our home, stopping short of the barn and the horse fields. It's worth it's weight in gold not to have "Poop Beards" from the munching on manure. And they can't torment the barn kitties.

I would agree with several of the negatives already posted - the biggest one being that you can keep your dogs home, but you can't control other loose dogs. I never leave my dogs out unless I am home. Even my really attitude filled guy doesn't go near the line. I think the secret of it's success is the commitment to training and not leaving your dogs out unless you are home.

Default I'm lucky

I live in the country, though people drive fast on my road. I really just need to keep my dogs out of the road which the invisible fence does. My closest neighbor (his farm surrounds mine on three sides) has two Pyrenees that patrol his farm and mine. They get along great with my dogs and think my farm is part of theirs. They protect my dogs and livestock. No stray dogs or coyotes would dare cross their path.
    M

Default I have to add

I also don't have my dogs out unless someone is home. I let them out while I'm in the house, but I won't leave the house/property without someone being home with them. If no one is home they are in the house or in the barn.
    But I would do that no matter what type of fence I had. There is just too much that could happen no matter what fence you have.
    M

A family member who lives in the country has Invisible Fencing. At least, this dog has lived longer than all the previous ones since he never escaped to the road. However, his owner made the mistake once to get the dog in his truck and go down the driveway. He forgot to remove the dog's collar. Poor dog got zapped and now will NOT go in the truck!!

Default That's very odd

However, his owner made the mistake once to get the dog in his truck and go down the driveway. He forgot to remove the dog's collar. Poor dog got zapped and now will NOT go in the truck!!

He must not have the burried wire fence then. I have the burried wire fence and if the dogs jump in the truck and I drive in and out with them with their collars on they're fine. They don't get shocked.
    M

My dogs would get shocked if in the car when I drive out and I DO have the buried wire (Dogwatch Hidden Fence).

We've had ours for at least 10 years (maybe more). Had it in MA and now in FL. We have our whole 10 acres fenced in for our 3 dogs. We've had a Collie, 2 hound/lab mixes, a Chesapeake Bay Retriever, a Pembroke Welsh Corgi and a Pit mix behind it and it has been a God send! The Collie was the toughest, but with proper training, the right collar and collar setting she did finally learn to stay in the yard.

We currently do have a perimeter fence - some has no-climb and some is 4 board, so dogs can get in the yard, but it has never been a problem (probably because the Chessie either befriends them or kicks their a$$ lol!).

If we didn't have this, my dogs would get in the road and or dig. The hounds in particular are diggers and this keeps them out of the road and out of the flower beds.

I think that it's pretty rare for a dog to be untrainable to it. If you follow the training or have the rep from the company do it, and you make adjustments as needed, most dogs will respect the fence. We've had our in it so long now that the Corgi and the Chessie rarely wear thier collars. The hound mix has only been with us for a year and will test it. It's so cute how all three wait for permission to go off property (we go in the woods to check the fenceline and they have to have their collars off, or over to the neighbors to hunt in his hay mow) - they all stop and wag their tails and look at me until I either take off their collars or say "Okay!" and off they run.

I will never have a home without it or something similar. We do have occasional breaks in the wore (horses dig it up etc), but if we had planned better and put it completely outside of the paddocks I think it would be maintenence free. As is, it's easy enough to find and fix ourselves.

Some dogs are more determined to leave the property than others. From what I've seen, radio fences work great combined with a barrier fence if you've got a determined escape artist. The dog won't want to spend the time digging under or climbing over the barrier fence if he's getting shocked the whole time.

My aussie rescue was already trained to the radio fence when we got him. We bought the wireless system and both we and the dog love it. We use it so we can play frisbee with him and not worry that he will run away. He likes the freedom of being outside without a leash. However, we do not leave him outside unattended - if he can get into trouble he does. We like the wireless system because we also own a cottage and when we go there, we just bring the transmitter with us and adjust the distances according to our lot size. At only $200 it was well worth the money.

He has a strong prey drive and will chase deer, but when he hears the beep of the collar warning him that he's close to the edge he sits and watches the deer leave the area.

My paren'ts tried it. It worked great for the maltese. The Malamute, Belgian Sheepdog, Rottie, and Beagle (my sister's two dogs, and my brother's two dogs), even with a lot of training, were still tempted frequently. the Malamute loves to run, doesn't care about shocking. The Beagle, well once he has a scent, he's gone.