The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thoughts/experience with hidden electric fences for dogs?

We're moving to a new place that has post and rail fencing in front, which my dogs could and would go right through. I will line the fences with something, but in the meantime, am curious about the hidden/invisible/wireless fences. They're pretty expensive, I think, but probably no more expensive than lining the post and rail and putting up a driveway gate.

Thanks for any information. My main concern is that the dogs not get run over in the street. The back area is fully fenced, but there's a chance they'd go out front through open garage doors or if we lapse in our eagle eye-edness.

Thank you.
    Barbaro Cultist, Metabolic Nazi

Default I love it

I've had it for over two years now. I have 8 dogs and all respect it and stay where they belong. I have mostly JRT's and minpins and they all were trained to the fence within 15 minutes. It was not the long drawn out training as shown in the manuals.
    M

Thanks. Do you have a wireless or one where you bury the wire? And what brand do you have, please?

Depends on the dog. My neighbors dog would run through it yelping, but chasing deer was just too much fun. That neighbor was alway griping to about breaks in the line and the hassel of repairing it. I've also known an "in tact" male to feel it was worth it to run through it. Same if you have an unspayed female - doesn't stop visitors from coming in. I've also known people who have used them with success.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Some dogs adapt very well, and maybe it depends on the breed and how strong the prey instinct is. I have a friend with a pug and an english bulldog and they both respect the fencing and learned very quickly. My brother 's two Labs were another story. One needed 2 collars and still would grit her teeth, close her eyes and charge. Didn't slow her down one bit, and then she'd be afraid to come back in. The other was a bit more careful, but on occasion they'd both be gone for an afternoon of fun. Luckily, they lived in the wilds of Maine where cars were few and far between. I don't think I'd trust it with my GSP and our busy road. A money -back guarantee doesn't make losinga dog any easier.

A good fence does two things: keeps your animals in and other people's animals out. The "hidden fences" only do one thing (maybe). I don't recommend them on that basis alone.

G.

One of my dogs would run right through it at his previous owners house. Nothing worked to keep him in. They even tried those nasty hig powered shock collars (I know, how lovely ).

Now he is here, has gone through some major re-training and his idea of escaping is running upstairs to sleep on my bed
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Both me and my neighbors all have Invisable Fence. I have a lab, they have a great dane, a lab and a little terrier. We've had it for 7 years with NO problems whatsoever.
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com

Even though I don't live close to a major road, or have neighbors that are close by, I swear by my invisible fence. It keeps the dogs on the property, and out of the driveway, and away from harms way (as much as possible). It's great not to have to worry about them running off after some critter...

Default Petsafe

The kind with the burried wire.
    M

I think it depends on 2 things.

The dog - some breeds/types were bred to tolerate high levels of discomfort - labs will swim in icy water, pits will continue fighting despite injuries, for example. Some were bred to be unusually predatory and independent operators, like the terriers. These are all dogs I'd be extra-wary of trusting within an invisible or electric fence. They simply are more likely to decide the pain's worth the freedom.

The area immediately outside the fenced area - if the invisible fence is 5' from a busy sidewalk, a heavily travelled road, etc., it's less effective because there are a) a lot of stimuli provoking the dog to possible run through the pain, and b) a lot of possible intruders into the dog's area - this includes both those who might hurt the dog and those who might be hurt by the dog (and not just burglars, but innocent intruders like children and neighbors who weren't intending to trespass, just let you know that, say, they see smoke coming from your shed).

Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    I've also known an "in tact" male to feel it was worth it to run through it. Same if you have an unspayed female - doesn't stop visitors from coming in. I've also known people who have used them with success.
    oh good lord. That's why people should spay/neuter their dog- particularly if they're idiots!!! Why would they put an intact male in an invisible fence!!?!

Quote Originally Posted by murphyluv View Post
    oh good lord. That's why people should spay/neuter their dog- particularly if they're idiots!!! Why would they put an intact male in an invisible fence!!?!
    Trust me I tried to explain Finally after having to bail Fido out of jail and a warning from Animal Control, they got a real fence
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

threemares Guest

Default Invisible Fence

I have four dogs and they all respect the Invisible Fence. I have two German Shepherds and two Jack Russells. My one Jack would run away all the time and come back when he felt like it. I highly recommend getting the most training possible if you have a dog like this. I had about 6-8 training visits per dog. My Jack would also grit his teeth and try to go through it but since the trainer saw this she turned it up until it actually did work. Also, I think Invisible Fence guarantees it to work and if you move it is a very minimal charge to run the wire at the new place.

By the way, this Jack I speak of also races every car that comes down the street and has never tried to run through the fence!

I have a chain link fence around my back yard. I have a rescue black lab/shar pei cross that has figured out how to dig under the fence and escape. Could I weave the electric fence into my chain link fence or does it have to be buried? Any other suggestions to keep her from digging? In the winter - no problem, but the summer the ground is soft.
    ~I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.~

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by hoofhearted View Post
    I have a chain link fence around my back yard. I have a rescue black lab/shar pei cross that has figured out how to dig under the fence and escape. Could I weave the electric fence into my chain link fence or does it have to be buried? Any other suggestions to keep her from digging? In the winter - no problem, but the summer the ground is soft.
    I found that putting the dog poop into the holes by the fence (before they were big enough for the dog to get through) was enough of a deterrent for my dogs. It did take a while, I would fill the holes and they would start in different spots, but after a while they stopped digging. But in your case, since the dog has already gotten out by tunneling, that might not work, and you might have to resort to an invisible fence, perhaps installed right outside the chain link, but still within the shock zone.

Thanks for all the good information and advice. It has led me to a simple and cheap temporary solution. I'm going to put up plain old hot wire three inches and six inches above the ground on the existing post and rail fence, another one between the middle and top rail, and since the fence is about 4 ft high, that should do it. I'll use the hangers that hold the wire/tape about three inches away from the posts. I think this will work because the dogs have all hit the horse hot wire at least once, and have thought they were dying. We'll get the gate up first thing.

Default CHS

What size collar do you put on your min pins? I want to train our 2 min pins on the underground fence, but I am afraid the shock will be too severe for them. They have NO fur on the underside of their necks.

Default I have the smallest ones

None of mine have hair under their necks either and they're fine. It's only takes one or two zaps to train them to the fence. It didn't leave any marks on them at all. The collar looks big and heavy for them but they do just fine with it. I don't leave the collars on all the time. I only have them on during the day. Once they're in for the night I take them off until morning. Mine are tiny. My breeding male is only 4 lbs. I also have a 5 lb female and an 8 lb female. I was very concerned about them being so tiny but I haven't had any problems in over two years. I personally have walked through the fence with collars in my hands. Both on purpose and by accident. It's not as bad as an electric fence shock. It's more of a static shock that stuns more than hurts, if that makes sense. Just look for the lightest weight collar. That's what they wear. My JRT's wear the lightweight also. My huskey had to have the stubborn dog collar which worked well for her.
    M

My friend's Border Collie has figured out that she only has a split second of "ouch" and then she's home free. The instinct to go chase the neighbor's cows is just too strong. It's not a "dumb" issue but a "smart" issue. She won't come back across it to get home.