The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

OTTB: had some sort of experience on the track.

TB: may or may not have been on the track. The OT part may not be relevant to the conversation.

Mine is just a TB. She was in training but never made it to a race. I didn't "rescue" her from anything, except a life of lesiure on a breeding farm. Just because you buy a track horse doesn't automatically mean you rescued them. It just means that's where you picked it up at. And in most cases, blaming your horse's assinine behavior on being a former racer is a copout. The majority of loose screws can be tightened if you know what to do.

I use the term sometimes. It's shorter than saying 'my horse used to be a racehorse.' The term is overused. When the question is "Who has an OTTB?" then it's relevant. When someone asks, "What color saddle pad would go with an OTTB?" that's just a stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by Kementari View Post
    I'm thinking I'd find it pretty strange if I got in a job application and someone had simply not filled in the box for "High School" and skipped to "College"...

(And once you get, say, a PhD - does that mean your entire previous education is meaningless? 'Cause, damn, if it means forgetting everything I learned in college, I'm going to have to rethink the whole advanced-degree thing...)
    Well, it all depends upon the age of the applicant. Right out of high school, right out of college, it would matter. However, at my age, high school is irrelevent because it was 4 years decades ago and I have educational and work experience which trumps any crap I did in high school.

Same with the OTTB: a couple years after the fact it's relevant especially, I suppose, in discussing training issues. After awhile, not so much.

Lots of times when I read it here on COTH, it seems as an excuse. Occasionally, over in the eventing and hunting forums mostly, it's used as a badge of honor.

And for you lucky souls who have missed it, netspeak is making its way into speech, I'm sorry to say.
    Proud Member of the Courageous Weenie Eventers Clique

...because it makes my horse sound more athletic than he really is lol.

I often get "REALLY?" when I say he raced.

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieK View Post
    Well, it all depends upon the age of the applicant. Right out of high school, right out of college, it would matter. However, at my age, high school is irrelevent because it was 4 years decades ago and I have educational and work experience which trumps any crap I did in high school.
    And if the person never got a HS degree? Same age, lots of experience, putting in for another job. Would their potential employer notice that on their application? A person's or horse's history is important.
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    Am I allowed to type TB? Because I believe that label has managed to annoy someone too, somewhere, at some point.

not insane, maniacal, hot horses intent on killing thier riders.
    Yeah- those are all ponies!

What about AHOAs? I "rescued" a horse from a drunk. Do Adult Horses of Alcoholics get the same respect as OTTBs, OTSBs, and PMU foals (who are always foals, and never seem to grow up to be adult heese, let alone adult heese of alcoholics....)

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

You raise a good point. All rescues remain rescues until the day they die, no matter HOW successful they were. Harry de Leyer and Snowman, anybody?

Silly horse, carrying his rescue status around as a badge of honor. I now think less of him as a result, thanks to being "enlightened" by my BB brethren...
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    Silly horse, carrying his rescue status around as a badge of honor. I now think less of him as a result, thanks to being "enlightened" by my BB brethren...
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem