The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 129
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Dec. 9, 2005
    Location
    North East, MD
    Posts
    4,356

    Default

    Maybe we should have an SOTTB acronym for the saintly ones. I've got one of those, too. He's a cool horse, always has been, even when racing fit. Just a nice guy. Not entirely sound, though. With care he'll last a long time. With hard riding, he'll be lame in a few years.



  2. #42
    Join Date
    Oct. 25, 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between Here and There
    Posts
    2,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagafi View Post
    I call mine an OTTB because (a) he is one and (b) since he ran til he was TEN and retired with clean legs and perfectly sound I *want* people to see how absurd it is to write off the "old guys".

    He's a quiet, in your pocket kind of guy, and believe me...I have no particular "skill set". He's just that saintly.
    I was helping a friend at a show with her 11 y/o OTTB (which we both refer to the off track ones as purposefully)... she had only had him off the track for about a year and it was his second show. Horse is pretty typey, so you can't mistake him for anything else... except he is sleeping at the in-gate. A guy comes up and comments "He's being pretty good For A Thoroughbred. Bet he never raced, huh?" My friend starts laughing and responds "Actually he raced till he was ten, and was pretty good at it too." Guy's jaw drops and he mutters "well he must be really old to be that quiet then." Friend is now doubled over laughing, waking up the good pony just enough that he flicked his ears, wrote her off as unimportant and falls back asleep. When she finally catches her breath she yells over to the guy (who had started to walk away) "BTW, he's 11... put that in your pipe and smoke it."

    Seriously the funniest thing I ever saw... especially cause the guy likes to wander around the local scene telling anyone who will listen that TB's are crazy, Off Track ones are even worse, and you should come buy one of his "nice" QH's (who are usually drugged).



  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan. 31, 2006
    Location
    near St. Louie, Louie!
    Posts
    1,295

    Default

    Yep, sounds about like my guy. When he was being reschooled, we took part in a clinic at our barn and another participant tried to buy him on the spot. She was SO impressed with him (he had around 30 days retraining if that)--but I was like Hell to the NO. I've got a keeper!




  4. #44
    Join Date
    Apr. 16, 2007
    Location
    Downingtown, PA
    Posts
    602

    Default

    This is so funny because I just posted the same question on the H/J board.
    http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=184839

    Thomas 1 - I guess great minds think alike huh?



  5. #45
    Join Date
    May. 17, 2000
    Location
    Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?
    Posts
    23,883

    Default

    Because, damnit, a lot of nice horses worked really hard for a living at the track, and if someone takes the time to bring one along in a new career and he is successful at it, you damn well should let OTHER people know that this nice horse IS an OTTB. It just might make more people give another potentially great horse a second chance when they might not otherwise do so without a little education.

    But what's more interesting is why Thomas wants to prevent that? What does Thomas have against OTTBs getting a second chance? Why oh why does Thomas hate for the OTTB? So very sad...

    (see, two can play Fox News Straw Man Games)
    I'm sorry... Did I just roll my eyes out loud?



  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jan. 31, 2006
    Location
    near St. Louie, Louie!
    Posts
    1,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    Because, damnit, a lot of nice horses worked really hard for a living at the track, and if someone takes the time to bring one along in a new career and he is successful at it, you damn well should let OTHER people know that this nice horse IS an OTTB. It just might make more people give another potentially great horse a second chance when they might not otherwise do so without a little education.

    But what's more interesting is why Thomas wants to prevent that? What does Thomas have against OTTBs getting a second chance? Why oh why does Thomas hate for the OTTB? So very sad...

    (see, two can play Fox News Straw Man Games)
    I think I love you.




  7. #47
    Join Date
    Apr. 10, 2006
    Posts
    7,406

    Default

    I wonder if maybe some people have an issue with the OTTB label because it gets misused and carries a negative connotation.

    A lot of us on COTH see it as a badge of honor-- but I know a lot of people in "regular life" who use it as a derogatory remark or an excuse. It is a shame, really.

    I distinctly remember hacking out a friend's horse with her BO one day... he had raced till he was 9, and was probably late teens at the time. He spooked at something, the BO made the comment "well those OTTBs are just never quite right in the head." I hear a lot of those kinds of remarks, unfortunately.

    Frankly I'm not sure I will ever go back to the QHs. I kinda like the older TBs....
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.



  8. #48

    Default

    ditto, I only use ottb with other horsey people. I love the ottb mares. all of mine came with perfect manners. of course the did come a bit hyped up until they went through detox. love my ottb's!!!!



  9. #49
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2006
    Location
    deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone
    Posts
    805

    Default

    Well now you've got me wondering. Seeing several replies on this thread of tattooed but never raced, or only had one race. Until someone decided they wouldn't suit, they still learned the skills necessary to race, right? Daily life in a shedrow and all that encompassed?
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem



  10. #50
    Join Date
    Apr. 16, 2007
    Location
    Downingtown, PA
    Posts
    602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagafi View Post
    I call mine an OTTB because (a) he is one and (b) since he ran til he was TEN and retired with clean legs and perfectly sound I *want* people to see how absurd it is to write off the "old guys".

    He's a quiet, in your pocket kind of guy, and believe me...I have no particular "skill set". He's just that saintly.
    My retired show horse raced till he was TEN as well, won almost 500K, also retired from the track with clean legs, went on to show in the hunters, qualify for zone finals and could compete against the best of them even the WBs. Once he was showing he was a show horse or a TB and I would tell his story because I was proud of his story but I never kept the label OTTB. I think that he earned his new title.

    Now he is my paperchase horse so should he be refered to as my OTOOTSRTB (off the track out of the show ring Thoroughbred) ? I mean he should be proud of his show career too right?

    I just think some horses move beyond their life at the track. Maybe, it's just how people refer to them on these boards?



  11. #51
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,712

    Default

    I use it as that's the only "job" my three have ever had. I'm also amazed that I have one horse that someone paid $100K for (who won $325K), another whose sire's stud fee is $80k, and yet they were abandoned and starving. It's not always a badge of honor; I usually am not gloating when I talk about owning used-up and thrown away OTTBs.



  12. #52
    Join Date
    Mar. 23, 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    4,182

    Default

    As some others have said, I refer to my boy as an OTTB in situations where I'm trying to emphasize what awesome horses TBs off the track can be. There are so many of them (in this country, anyway) and with all the negative stereotypes many people are disinclined to so much as touch one with a ten foot pole - and yet they need homes. So I point out that my saintly, kid-safe, BTDT boy came off the track as a way of putting it out there that not all track horses are crazy and untrainable.

    He does happen to be a rescue (200+ lbs underweight, covered in sores, and on his way to a not-so-nice auction when I bought him), but I don't think all OTTBs are rescues. (A pet peeve of MINE is overuse of the word "rescue!") And I don't think the fact that I have an OTTB (or a rescue, for that matter) makes me a better person.

    If I wanted to brag about my skills as a horse trainer, I'd say, "my OTTB who I retrained myself." Just the fact a horse is an OTTB says nothing about someone's training or horsemanship skills. My boy is ridden regularly by children, all of whom could honestly, straightforwardly tell people they are riding an OTTB - but that doesn't mean they did the retraining.

    As for the term "expiring" or something, well, a horse who was on the track at one point and is now not on the track will ALWAYS, by definition, be an "off-the-track" horse. Whether one chooses to use the terminology is an individual thing, of course, but it certainly remains applicable from a semantic point of view.

    (I use plenty of other descriptors, too, depending on the context and what I'm trying to convey: sometimes (often) he's just "my TB," but he's also "my boy," "my older guy," "my babysitter," "my eventer"...he used to be "my competition horse," but since he's trucking kids now that's no longer the case. I have lots of adjectives to trot out, in other words, and "OTTB" is but one choice for some situations.)
    Proud member of the EDRF



  13. #53
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2004
    Location
    Catonsville, MD
    Posts
    6,971

    Default

    I think it's a convenient way to abbreviate some basic information: bred to race, has raced (of course it could be raced once or for 10 years), and is now doing other things.

    On this board there are folks who are trying to rehome and retrain horses from that particular background, so it is convenient to bundle their queries under this rubric. It just saves time.

    For me, my horse raced 7 times, in 2005 & 2006. I am proud that while she came from this demanding and sometimes maligned background (OTTBs are often thought to be hot, temperamental, and dingbats), she is brilliantly kind, sensible, and trainable. And has the demeanor of Bambi. And is only 7.

    Can the label be misused to stereotype and overdramatize? Sure. But it does more or less accurately characterize a particular breeding and early training background.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09




  14. #54
    Join Date
    May. 9, 2008
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    518

    Default

    No idea. I don't refer to my WB as "off the farm"

    I do make the distinction, though, between the TBs I've bought "off the track" and the one I acquired unraced, when asked, because, IMO, there are far more pluses to an OTTB to one who didn't race!

    I LIKE them to have raced.



  15. #55
    Join Date
    Jul. 15, 2005
    Location
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Posts
    3,171

    Default

    How many of you have worked in a race barn? Just curious... kinda off topic.

    Anyways, I don't use OTTB much. Mostly I just say TB. *shrug* To me a good horse is a good horse.

    The only thing that bothers me about the term is when people use it to excuse their horses poor training or bad behavior. Or when they want some sort of props for having an ex-racehorse. Get over it.

    I just don't think an ex racehorse is any more OR less needy than any other horse who needs a new home. I don't think it's any more special of a deed if it's a OTTB than an exracing QH, STB, Arabian, or App... or hey, any horse that needs a new home for whatever reason. I certainly would not equate a horse having a previous career as a racehorse to a war veteran or a marine.

    I find an interesting item in this thread though is that many people have stated they use the term to help inform the general public that ex racehorses can go on to other careers and make perfectly nice horses for pleasure or trail, etc. But yet anytime some novice (or less than expert as deemed by this BB) is talking about going to get an ex racehorse they are invariably told to forget it.... they don't know enough to have a horse like that blahblahblah. What gives? You can't have it both ways.

    For what it's worth, I know a few novices who have gotten and retrained their own ex racehorses and did just great with them. Perhaps because they didn't expect anything less than "normal" behavior from them. I would not recommend it myself but I observed the situation after the fact.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com



  16. #56
    Join Date
    Mar. 12, 2006
    Posts
    1,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    American and Australian forums often have posters talking about their OTTB's.

    That just isn't really a terminology used in Europe .

    It seems that even when the horse has been owned for a long time and is doing something entirely different that it's still known as an OTTB. Why is that?

    I don't see why its relevent or of interest at all.

    It seems to me that the term is almost used as some sort of badge of office or as an explanation for why the horse has problems or issues or to indicate the owner might have done some sort of noble thing taking on a retired/ex race horse.

    I wonder when an OTTB just becomes "my horse" or "a thoroughbred"????

    Or must I start describing my thoroughbreds either as CRAPOTTB (Currently Racing And Presently to be OTTB) or my driving horse as a OADWB (Out of the Arena Dressage Warmblood).

    (If the weather was better and we weren't iced over I wonder have time to think about such silly things!)
    I think it's a COTH/ internet thing, I've never heard the phrase used in real life. People might say they got a horse off the track if you ask but they don't go round making a big deal of it.

    Most TBs in the US are bred to race, pretty much all, so it's a bit redundant imho.



  17. #57
    Join Date
    Apr. 2, 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VCT View Post
    I find an interesting item in this thread though is that many people have stated they use the term to help inform the general public that ex racehorses can go on to other careers and make perfectly nice horses for pleasure or trail, etc. But yet anytime some novice (or less than expert as deemed by this BB) is talking about going to get an ex racehorse they are invariably told to forget it.... they don't know enough to have a horse like that blahblahblah. What gives? You can't have it both ways.

    For what it's worth, I know a few novices who have gotten and retrained their own ex racehorses and did just great with them. Perhaps because they didn't expect anything less than "normal" behavior from them. I would not recommend it myself but I observed the situation after the fact.
    I will admit that I have talked to "novice" horse owners about acquiring OTTBs because they do come from a discipline where feeding, training, handling and turnout may be very different (but not bad/abnormal) from what the novice is used to and they should be aware it.

    I think the term OTTB is one which shows a horse was bred and trained to do one discipline and is now working in another field. I know that there are horses that once did Hunters or Jumpers and are now doing Dressage, but since people have a vision of once a racehorse, always a racehorse, its nice to point out the successfully rehomed/retrained ones so that others might have the same chance.

    Our barn hosts a OTTB division at their horse shows to give them "some spotlight/ring experience before doing the hopeful, schooling and green divisions and I have seen some very nice horse go.
    Last edited by KnKShowmom; Jan. 11, 2009 at 09:45 AM. Reason: edit



  18. #58
    Join Date
    May. 3, 2006
    Posts
    11,568

    Default

    Well the following posting from DMK has to take the nomination from me as being the biggest load of garbage and the best evidence ever for someone demonstrating the ability to TOTALLY and UTTERLY misread, misinterpret and invent something never said or even thought!

    For the record.........(as you've clearly missed everything I've ever said about t/b's in the past) I've been involved and owned t/b's all my life. I have frequently and regularely declared a long standing and inherited passion for the breed. My ancestors (and namesake) were responsible for importing Darley Arabian into the UK in the 18th century and of course it was that horse (and 2 other stallions) that led to the development of the Thoroughly Blood Bred horse - which in turn got shortened to become the Thoroughbred. My father, grandfather and great grandfather all trained point-to-pointers and steeplechasers and I've done the same.

    So I've raced them, driven them, evented them, played polo on them, trained and retrained them, time and time again. I currently own 11 of them. I've also said before that if ever I was stuck with having to have only one breed of horse it would be a thoroughbred.

    Likewise the ones I've owned have all been bred for stamina and type. They're intelligent, athletic, stoic and fit and will whoop the ass off any cross bred sports horse for athleticism and speed.

    I don't however understand all this OTTB stuff. I'd have thought that every real horse person knows that a t/b is intelligent and athletic and can be retrained.

    Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    But what's more interesting is why Thomas wants to prevent that? What does Thomas have against OTTBs getting a second chance? Why oh why does Thomas hate for the OTTB? So very sad...
    DUHHHHHHHHH What an imagination! What an invention! What a load of lies!!! What a prat!
    Last edited by Thomas_1; Jan. 11, 2009 at 12:02 PM.



  19. #59
    Join Date
    May. 17, 2000
    Location
    Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?
    Posts
    23,883

    Default

    ooh Thomas, either that pushed a button or you really have no sense of humor on this topic do you?

    And yes, I know you have worked with TBs all your life and I don't doubt you love and care for them.

    I can see that one sailed right over your head. Granted the Fox News Straw Man concept is probably uniquely an americanism, but it's the tactic you started with so I ran with it!
    I'm sorry... Did I just roll my eyes out loud?



  20. #60
    Join Date
    Mar. 9, 2004
    Posts
    3,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    Because, damnit, a lot of nice horses worked really hard for a living at the track, and if someone takes the time to bring one along in a new career and he is successful at it, you damn well should let OTHER people know that this nice horse IS an OTTB. It just might make more people give another potentially great horse a second chance when they might not otherwise do so without a little education.

    But what's more interesting is why Thomas wants to prevent that? What does Thomas have against OTTBs getting a second chance? Why oh why does Thomas hate for the OTTB? So very sad...

    (see, two can play Fox News Straw Man Games)
    DMK, I LOFF YOU!!


    Edit: ps...I took this as jest, but after reading Thomas latest post, maybe my interpretation skills are bad?
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.



Similar Threads

  1. what do you guys think of these OTTB's?
    By KateMcCall in forum Eventing
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: Oct. 8, 2012, 04:56 PM
  2. Opinions on these OTTB's please..
    By EquineLVR in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Oct. 5, 2010, 09:42 PM
  3. ottb's
    By tallygirl in forum Racing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jun. 26, 2010, 09:05 AM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: Dec. 19, 2009, 02:09 AM
  5. Replies: 106
    Last Post: Nov. 7, 2003, 03:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness