The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Growing up, I had a wonderhorse QH that was famous for letting himself and his buddies out ..... and he would leave the one horse in that he didn't like - he would undo her latch, but not slide the door open for her.... guess that was his way of getting even for what a witch she was out in the field (and yes, she started it. She ALWAYS started it!).

Anyway, when I started doing the State 4H shows with him, we had to request an enclosed barn each year and regardless of what we tied, chained, etc - the stall door with, we would find him the next morning wandering the aisleways making new friends..... pain the arse! but hysterically funny, too!
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

My first pony lived in a makeshift stall for a while... they made a stall by putting up fence rails across one end of the barn. Three rails, about a foot apart, bottom rail maybe 2 feet off the ground. She kept getting out, but the rails were still in place, so we put another one on top. She still got out. One day, I caught her in the act - she lay down on her side and used her legs to scoot herself UNDER the bottom rail. Pony was moved to a stall with a sliding door the next day
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

When my now six year old Arab was a yearling, I kept him in a round pen (the metal panel kind) while I was building fence. It took him less than an hour to learn to work the gate latch. No problem...I'll just chain it shut. Two days later, he had learned how to pull the pins holding the panels together. Sigh. OK, I'll wire all the panels together. A week later, he was out again. Checked the pen...all was secure. ??? Put him back in, and hid and watched. He would lay down on his side, stick his head and neck under the center of a panel, shimmy under until he could lift it with his shoulder, and wiggle the rest of the way out. Sneaky little devil.

Hot wire solved the problem.

Very envious of y'all whose horses get out and hang around in your barn aisle or your back yard taunting everyone. The winter our horses kept getting out, half a mile away was the CLOSEST to home that we ever caught them.

Young grade pinto. Quarter-type? Draft cross? Your guess is as good as mine. But very clever with his lips. He is the reason why the hay/tool aisle gate and all gates leading outside the pastures are padlocked. We got all the locks keyed to the same key and copies of the key hang everywhere to minimze the safety risk (and the horses are not stalled, anyhow). But a padlock is the only thing he can't open.

Yet.
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by IsolaBella09 View Post
    The worst is when they unlock the barn doors and go galloping down the road. And then having the police call and ask if the massive white animal belongs to your farm.
    Oh God-that sounds like what happened to my friend! She boards a few horses and one of her arabs learned how to open the gate-so all the horses (total of 5) started walking down the road. 3 arabs, a QH and a huge Friesan! Well sure enough the police came along with the Animal Control-the arabs and QH were quickly caught but they were afraid of the Friesan (who can be intimidating but is very gentle)

Fortunatley-one of her lesson students father was driving along and saw what was happening and knew where they belonged. My friend pulled up a few minutes later and knew who the culprit was!

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    Very envious of y'all whose horses get out and hang around in your barn aisle or your back yard taunting everyone. The winter our horses kept getting out, half a mile away was the CLOSEST to home that we ever caught them.
    Well, I didn't tell the story of the Easter Sunday I awoke to find my two horses gone from my farm. Our property butted up to a golf course and OF COURSE that's where the horses were grazing to the horror of the early morning golfers! Luckily, the owner of the GC was a teacher and my husband was pres of the teacher's assn, so they were good friends. Forgiven.

We had this fabulous little palomino pony that could open all latches and untie knots with no problem.
    He would get out and then let everyone else out. When he figured it was getting close to the time the humans should reappear he would lock himself back into his stall. (Caught him at it once) Then he would stand there all innocent.

We have another one, that has extra latches on his door to keep him from escaping. If he is moved to another stall even briefly he will stand there sliding the bolt back and forth just to show you that he can.

My arabian gelding could undo any latch that was put on his door, undo his leadrope if you tied him, get off the x-ties, turn the lights on and off, and undo paddock gates.

The owner of the stable came out with a shotgun one night cause he thought someone was in the barn snooping around when the arab was playing with the lights.

I don't know how he did it but one time he got out and a careless boarder had left a 50 gallon barrel of grain out (oats corn mix) and he ate about 1/3 of the drum and didn't collic!!!
    Needless to say that boarder no longer stays there.

My escape artist Koki also enjoys light switches. Before I figured out what was happening I kept berating myself for leaving the barn lights on at night.

Then one evening I was looking out the window & saw the lights switching on, off, on, off.

"Who the h*ll is in my barn at this hour?!", ran out, caught him with his neck extended ready to play lights on, lights off again.

The other horses were all gazing at him in awe, "Wow, can you do it again Koki? Cooool...."

Everything in my barn now has to be beyond "horse proof", it must also be made "Koki-proof"

I used to ride Morab mare who was FAMOUS for crawling under her stall guard and getting loose(which was a problem at the time,because the barn I'm at only had stall guards on the stalls and not doors)As soon as you turned your back on her she'd be half way under the stall guard and by the time you went to shoo her back into her stall it was too late-she was loose.The minute our new shed rows went up she went into a stall w/a door that had both bottom and top latches

Chance could open any stall door. If I closed the stall gate, he'd pound on the metal edge with his hoof like it was a hammer. Finally I gave up, left his stall door open and put gates across each end of the barn.
    He never messed with anything, not the lights, blankets, grooming stuff. Just wanted to visit his friends and yell at the house if I was late.
    At 30 you get those kind of privileges
    You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!

Pal Princess was escape artist plus. I swear her lips could untie any knot and undo any lock. Containing her was always an issue to the point we gave up most nights. She never played with the light but she would turn my dad's mare loose and they would play in the yard. When we took her to shows we had to padlock her into her stall since she not only knew how to slide the doors open but wasn't opposed to applying ample leg force to open it either. I kept a bell on her halter and a red bow on her butt at the shows because of her wicked temperament as well.
    Funniest escape artist has to be DD's riding pony. He will climb under the board fence if she is in the arena on another horse and totally disrupt the lesson. Only child he does that for evidently though he will let everyone out of their stalls on occasion as well.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

A friend of mine had an Appy who could get out of anything...and he was quite the Romeo.

He'd let himself out of his stall, then go let out all the girls.

And when he'd get turned out with the boy - he'd jump out, then go jump in with the girls, graze all day, then when it came time to go in for dinner, he'd jump out, go back to the boys' field, and pretend like he'd been right where he was supposed to be all day.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

My escape artist is Anglo x Irish x French
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

My Standardbred can open almost anything except double end snaps. His great escape achievement was actually letting himself INTO the barn. He was boarded at a barn where his paddock was attached to the barn. The barn had huge sliding doors that opened into the aisle. He backed up the doors and used his butt to slide them open.

Okay, it wasn't funny when he also let himself into the feed room, but we did ultimately find a way to lock the doors so he couldn't use his giant behind to shimmy them open.

manyspots: We had to do the exact same thing to our dutch stall doors, as my appy, "Dusty" would let himself out, and then go let all the other horses out. They are rarely stalled, but when we put them in for a while, we assume they are going to STAY in! He's a smart horse, and VERY funny. Nobody told him he had his 26th birthday this month. He is forver into some sort of humorous mischief! He even stuck his head into my open truck window one day being nosy. Scared himself silly when he accidentally blew the horn! LOL!

these stories are hysterical. What special special (as in one of a kind, not speshul) horses and wonderful memories.

Friend had a driving Morgan and was one of the first US Single Drivers invited to compete at Windsor Harrods CDE.

Because he arrived early to recover from the flight. He was put up in the Royal Mews. Yup got out most nights and went exploring Nice guest huh?

Quote Originally Posted by TikiSoo View Post
    Well, I didn't tell the story of the Easter Sunday I awoke to find my two horses gone from my farm. Our property butted up to a golf course and OF COURSE that's where the horses were grazing to the horror of the early morning golfers! Luckily, the owner of the GC was a teacher and my husband was pres of the teacher's assn, so they were good friends. Forgiven.
    I've always considered golf courses to be wasted space for great riding. I guess your horses thought the same thing, only "eating". Hope they stayed in the rough!

I know 10-12 horses that, at night, while turned-out in their field, would go thru a break in the fence line and take a short walk to a corn field.

Boogers had their fill of corn and would get their big fanny's back into their turn-out field by the time the BO showed-up for am feed. BO could not understand why the horses were gaining weight but eating less grain! The mystery was solved, when one morning, one of his draft horse was standing in the BO's parking lot. The barn owner walked the fence line, discovered the hole, followed the beaten-down grass, and found the horses private stash!