The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

My former teacher has a pony who made the police logs one day because he'd escaped from his pasture and decided to play follow the police cruiser.Said the police later showed up back at her house with guilty pony in tow asking if he was hers.Said pony also escaped on another day and helped himself to free grain earning himself a trip to New Bolton Center.She told us that the stories about him are endless

Western NY

My mare got out of the stall, dragged a bale of hay into the stall, and shut her door. As if I wouldn't notice an entire bale of hay.....

My over 18 HH Holsteiner got out so many times in Wellington that they expelled him from the showgrounds. He learned how to disassemble the canvas stalling. He is still a huge problem at home because he can jump out of any paddock when he decides to but he usually tears down fence rails first. Last week he was upset because another horse was taken into the barn first and when my husband went out to get him he was standing on the second from the bottom rung of the metal gate, just bending it to the ground. He loves tearing down gates anyway. He just starts by leaning against it and if it moves at all he is encouraged to just walk it off the hinges.

My grey jumper who hated a bath got out and took down all the blue shampoo and stomped the bottles empty in the wash rack. One night he got out and took all the halters off their hooks in front of the stalls and put them in a pile in the indoor.

I have a friend who owns an 18.1hh percheron the just goes through any stall door and fence, breaks them right in half, it takes him no effort at all.

He's so cute when he gets caught out too, he'll get this guilty look and trot away with his head down hoping you won't notice his big butt.

My friend eventually gave up and just let him wander the property like a dog. The horse eventually made his way onto friends front porch on the house wanting in.

Berlin, Germany

While I understand this thread was written in good humor, I'd like to gently remind everyone that it doesn't always end so "cute" when the police are calling you in the middle of the night to come get your horse.

My dear French Fry, a card carrying escape artist in his day, managed to get out of his field on labor day weekend. He headed for the road, was hit by a car, and the responding officers took it upon themselves to "do the deed" at the scene. Despite the tragic outcome of that situation, I am immensely lucky that the driver of the car was not injured (car was totaled), and that my family carries appropriate liability insurance as farm owners. We will be dealing with the insurance company for the next several month, without a doubt, which makes it extremely difficult to grieve in a healthy way.

He was known for letting himself out, then springing all of his friends. On several occasions, we had to go collect him from the neighbors, or any number of county employees. It was always funny, and we always rolled our eyes and said "Ohhhh, French Fry!". Until it wasn't funny, and we can't forgive ourselves for not making him safer, or thinking that our lack of discretion in light of his "talents" could have resulted in someone getting hurt badly or dying.

So please take my experience as a gentle reminder to check your enclosures. Particularly if you've got a Houdini. In the end, there's always a way (even if it's inconvenient for us people) to keep them safely confined. I don't wish any of what I've suffered through in the last month on anyone else- not my worst enemy.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...