The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Get out and stay out!

Went to the barn this morning to find a horse standing in aisle, brushes and supplements, and anything else off the shelves spread out like someone had ransacked the place. And his stall door shut and locked.
    When I had gotten him out of the barn and his mess cleaned up I went to investigate.
    His door swings open, and when I opened it and went into his stall my Arab reached over and slammed the door shut behind me from his stall and the latch flipped down. Apparently, the Morgan popped his latch and escaped, and while he was out the Arab shut the door on him and locked it, leaving him stuck in the aisle.
    Morgan had a wonderful time with his one-horse party, and had his nose in everything! He even had the muck buckets and rakes out playing with them...

We have an Arabian gelding in the barn with a multitude of clever latches on his stall door. We have Dutch doors and after he lets himself out he will meander through the barn letting all his buddies go too

Not one other horse is as smart as he is! He is the smartest horse I have ever met! Right now the ONLY latch he can not undo is the one at the bottom of the door - just out of his reach!

The worst is when they unlock the barn doors and go galloping down the road. And then having the police call and ask if the massive white animal belongs to your farm.

Laughing!!!! This was a fantastic visual... and I feel your pain. I owned an Appy that also knew how to unlock his dutch doors and do the same thing. Occasionally he would be in the field, other times the hallway. The only way we kept him in was by screwing a screw eye into the hole where the latch handle was do you could spin it to secure the handle down. Then we attached a double end snap to the screw eye. We had the spring loaded slide latches...

My appy is also an escape artist! He can undo his door, his girlfriends door, and I've found him licking the regular doorknob to the feed room and I'm starting to worry!!!
    He also has figured out how to undo the chest bar pin in the trailer. Twice on a trip I found him with his chest bar down and the pin back in place!!! The first time I was mortified that I had forgotten to check it and make sure it was up and the second time I figured out it was him!!! Goober.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeckenAwesome View Post
    He also has figured out how to undo the chest bar pin in the trailer. Twice on a trip I found him with his chest bar down and the pin back in place!!! The first time I was mortified that I had forgotten to check it and make sure it was up and the second time I figured out it was him!!! Goober.
    You can pull out the holding pins, drill a hole thru, under the place where it slides thru the chest bar holder, put a small key pin thru hole. Key pin is like a metal hairpin, used on farm stuff, large to small sizes. Perhaps a piece of tape around it to prevent his pulling the key pin out as well, cover an sharp ends. Cotter pin will work but then YOU can't open the bar without tools.

Sure glad my horses are not this ambitious!

Had this happen to me as well, then I added a bottom door latch as well. It has solved my problem.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Hm. Note to self: check for accomplices in the blonde's adventures...

InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I had a pony who was very good at getting out of his stall. The first time I know of that he did it was the night after his best friend left the barn...the next morning, pony was found down the aisle in his buddy's empty stall.

We moved barns a while later and he became a regular escape artist. The BM would often find him grazing behind the barn when she came in in the mornings. One time, she didn't notice he was out until she saw his spotted pony butt trotting down the driveway to the rather busy road...and he proceeded to take a trip down the shoulder of the road until a kind passer-by caught the little devil. He got more latches on his stall after that little adventure...

I have a friend who had an anglo arab mare who was an escape artist. She put a padlock on the stall door, AND HID THE KEY on a high shelf. I accused her of "overkill". She pointed out that the mare was not escaping any more. (Stall had an attached paddock so no fire risk to the padlock). Low latches at foot level work adequately to allieviate this problem.

LMAO...wanna bet that Arab was making d*mn sure the Morgan got caught being outside his stall?
    My first horse was a wise-arse appy mare. Not only did she get loose no matter what latch we devised...she also spent her time loose to open other stalls. Not that she wanted company, she was an anti-social critter...she opened the other stall doors so she could go in that stall, scare the bejeeses out of the horse in there by chasing it out and then eating it's food. When she'd finish the hay in that stall, she'd go on to the next one. When we found latches that worked, she'd back up to the door and double barrel it off the hinges.
    Gotta love those wise-arse escape artists!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

LOL!! Notice how these are mostly arabs and apps?!?! I have an arab/app!!! I didn't realize he had arab in him until AFTER I bought him. He likes to run under electric tape fencing (and I do mean at a fast pace), and usually gallops back before I can catch him and beat his butt. Also has escaped off of another property. Also likes to untie himself. I have not yet had him in a dutch door stall situation- and am glad too!!

ha ha!! Awesome...

goodhors that's exactly what I did Worked too Atleast so far. In his defense it was a 15 hour haul so he got bored!!! Maybe he needs a dvd player back there

Love love love my appys. I will never be bored! Agreed?

Yes, I miss my Appy girl, but thankfully I board at an Appy breeders for my spot fix.

I stupidly taught my appy pony how to lift the lid of the grain bin. It was easy and how cute! Right.

The BO started reprimanding me for not closing her stall door latch, she'd find her fat white butt in the aisle occasionally, sometimes decorated with poop.
    Then it became a mystery as it would happen days I wasn't even there!

One morning she was out early and caught the goat mouthing the latch to my pony's stall door. He successfully slid it over and down, emancipating the pony who went DIRECTLY to the grain bin, opening it for morning treats!

The goat never opened any other horse's stall, he was no dummy who had control over the grain bin!

And who doesn't know an escape artist that can lie down and roll under a fence? I knew one who would roll back into his pasture if caught!

I present to you Exhibit A.

Please note, in addition to the red towel hanging around Stanley's ear, that the white laundry basket, as well as all of the dirty saddle pads, are now in the muddy paddock.

Ahem.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Default I have a Houdini too...

A few weeks ago I went out to the barn to do late night check. I noticed that my cupola light was on, as well as a few others inside my barn. As I walked, I thought to myself "gee, I don't remember leaving all those lights on?"... I slid the barn door open and there in all her glory was Basil. She was standing in a pile of hay bales that she'd dragged into the aisle from the closed and locked hay stall. Not only had she turned on all the lights, she'd sampled TEN bales of hay, knocked over and stomped on my cordless phone, destroyed the cabinet where I store cookies, brushes, etc. and ate through a container of Mrs. Pastures Cookies for Horses. But here's the thing about Basil. She KNOWS when she's been naughty. Before I could scream "BASIL, WHAT THE @#$%!" she'd done an abrupt 180, flew through her stall and into her run-out paddock where she stood with her halo. She was SO busted and she knew it!

I have the screw-eye in the latch combo, but it must be secured with a carabiner clip, anything else she can open. She pops double ended snaps like it's her job. Every once in a great while, her giant lips maneuver the carabiner clip in just the right way and she's free. There is no limit the amount of destruction her 17+ hand frame can wreak in my barn. She keeps life interesting, that's for sure!

Default I am sooooo glad...

that my horse isn't the only bad boy around! He likes to turn all the lights off and on when he escapes. Well obvoiusly he needs the lights turned on to be better able to see any speck of grain/hay left on the barn isle.
    Just because I talk slow doesn't mean that I actually AM slow.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default Nuh-uh!!!

Not just Arabs & Apps

My DHs TWH was the only one with a padlock on his Dutch Door. He also used to liberate friends when he went strolling - once it was trainer's 3 young stallions from their paddock. Next day he had the padlock...

My present TWH can operate the lever handle to the barn's service door so I have to keep it locked. The day he learns to turn the key I am retiring from having horses.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

We had a pony-size mule who could jump over his dutch door from a standstill. Tried a floor-to-ceiling chain-link stall door like they use at racetracks, only to have him rip it off the hinges and bend it nearly in half the first night. Once out in the aisle, he would knock down all the hay bales, rip the twine off and make himself a lovely, fluffy hay bed. He'd spend the night lying down on the hay and eating himself silly, then poop all over whatever was left.
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive