The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Angry is she jumping?

we've already had an 'incredible shrinking fence' thread...

This is the horsey houdini spinoff...

The blue eyed blonde rising 2yo is happily munching hay, in the BACKYARD. I've put her in three times already in four hours. I cannot figure out where she is getting out. No one else is getting out.

She *did* get out once last week at the uncharged fenceline. I restrung, tightly, and no new hoofprints, and fence is untouched. No hoofprints from further down that fenceline (I didn't think to check the whole line in daylight--but in the full moon it's obvious she's not coming from that direction.

I had a section where I had two 'mashed' pipe panels from the ice storm and ensuing barn migration, sort of half-standing/half laying. I suspected her of coming in through/over there. So I sacrificed two stall gate panels for that small section, 6' tall, she did NOT come through there.

The whole big perimeter could have a gap, to be sure, after the three or four massive windstorms and one ice storm... but it is deeply wooded, with stone walls and old (albeit unevenly standing) sheep fencing. I put back up the two-strand poly tape last week, and no storms since. And there are no telltale hoofprints coming up the driveway... no... she's getting out somewhere RIGHT HERE at the yard, and then staying put at the round bales.

I have this suspicion that she is jumping right at the gates.

Any suggestions?

(and just for the record--quite safe. I have gated off the end of the driveway... I let them all out in the yard to graze it down all the time in summer. This is more ANNOYING than anything else--she's POOPING in potentially feedable hay. And, laughing at me. )
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Video camera?

She isnt' doing it while I'm watching. I stood for no less than 1/2 hr watching. Went to check on supper, *~poof~* there she was on the wrong side...

sell her now!

you can make a fortune on this new magical breed!
    and of color no less!!!

SELL !! SELL !!! SELL !!!!!!!
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

ooh... you're right! Mystikal, Majikal, transmogrophying blue eyed blondes!!! She definitely has the HAIR. She has as much hair as a GV or a Freeeeeshyun. (She's one of DB's Colonial Spanish fillies )

Seriously. I've only ever thought it might be 'fun' and 'entertaining' to talk to an animal communicator.

If she'd tell me how she's doing it, I'd shell out cold, hard ca$h tonight for one!

I *don't* need a communicator to tell me she is ROYALLY pissed off at the hay. Last week we had super-fine, super-heavy stuff that coudl've passed for 2nd cut. All good except less VOLUME. They definitely thought they were being starved, even though this stuff was BRILLIANT. Come this week, we're back to plain old, coarse but clean GRASS. Took them almost all the afternoon yest'dy to eat lunch. No inhaling it like last week. More like picking through, and "you're SERIOUS???"

I don't know why she thinks the hay on THIS side of the fence might be any better than the hay on THAT side of the fence. It's the same freaking hay...

Is there any place she could be crawling under? I had a gelding I thought was jumping out of his pasture. But one day I just happened to catch him crawling under the 18" high bottom wire of a hot fence (top and bottom strands were hot). He'd apparently wait until something grounded out the bottom wire and figured out that the electric wire was "stretchy" enough to shimmy/crawl under.

Awww c'mon MOM it's ALWAYS better on the other side!!

Didn't you know that?
    Proud Mama of a BOY rider

It sounds like you're not really sure your fence is secure all the way around since you said the perimeter fencing could have gaps you don't know about. It sounds like you really need to walk the entire fence line and secure it with fencing of the appropriate height. Then look at jumping.

Sounds to me like you've got a fence crawler . Once they figure that out it is REALLY hard to break them of . Good luck.

All I can say, if this is the Colonial Spanish filly, is that they are smart...really smart...so don't underestimate her. If there is a place she can wiggle out and she's figured it out, you might be shocked at what she can manage!

well, if it's perimeter, then she's levitating to the back yard.

The GOOD thing about snow is you can follow footprints, and there are none coming around from perimeter.

I'd be able to tell if she's crawling too, no??? That would be some mushed up snow?

That's the mystery, actually, is that the hoofprints are NOT telling me where she's coming from.

You have my sympathy! We used to have a "mystery" escapee. He'd get out, no tracks, and we'd usuallly find him waiting for us in his stall when we got to the barn to feed. (Unless he'd decide to visit the neighbor and graze in his yard - fortunately the guy thought it was funny) We finally caught him crawling out at a rocky spot along the fence line in the woods. An extra strand of electric ended his adventures!
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

We have fresh snow.... mwuuuhahhahaaha....

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    We have fresh snow.... mwuuuhahhahaaha....
    I was just thinking that this morning as I was shuffling through the new powder

Can't wait to hear how she's doing it!
    -Jessica