The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My Olivia

I got home from the vet's office a few hours ago... we had to put my old girl Olivia to sleep after a long battle with spindle-cell carcinoma and time.

There's a big empty spot in our house tonight that's sure to stay around for a long while.

She blessed our lives for 13 years... I can only figure that she had work to do elsewhere, and I'm grateful for the time we had with her.

She passed peacefully at 4:55pm, with her head in my arms.

I took this picture of Olivia right before we went into the vet's office. She looked as beautiful today as she did in her youth.

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j6...ia9Jan2009.jpg

Do me a favor and give your dogs a big hug for me tonight... "man's (or woman's) best friend" does not even begin to describe what these animals mean to us or do justice to the magnitude of the positivity they and bring into our lives.

I miss you, Olivia.
    Last edited by ReeseTheBeast; Jan. 9, 2009 at 09:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

I am so very sorry for your loss I lost a dear kitty from cancer after 18 years a few weeks ago - I was devastated. I feel your pain

I am so sorry for your loss of dear Olivia. It's both good and sad that we almost always outlive our pets and can do what's best for them even though it hurts us. Take care.

Being that my Olivia is my daughter my heart skipped an extra beat when I read this. I am so sorry for your loss, she had a very regal look about her. I think that is a look of utter bliss, when they know they don't have a worry in the world and can go on about the business of being a dog. Godspeed Olivia, I pray I never write those words on my daughter's behalf in my lifetime.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Vale, Olivia.

There seem to be an equal number of Good Dogs going to the bridge lately as Good horses...

What a beautiful photo, the *light* is remarkable, no?

I'm very sorry. I've already wept today for my good, special Augustine Donegan who died in my arms in October. I'm weeping again for him, for you, for Olivia...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

My heart breaks for you Reese.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Thank you all, for all your support.

She didn't want to leave us, which was the most heartbreaking part; but her body was failing her. And miserably at that. She was trembling the whole way to the vet's office, I think she knew; despite my dad and I trying our damndest to stay calm and reassuring.

But once the tranquilizer kicked in, she looked more comfortable than she had in months. And after a deep sigh and stretch, she stopped fighting the medication and surrendered to sleep. We rolled her over onto her side and onto my lap, and I felt her entire body completely relax.

The harsh reality didn't hit until the vet came in with finality, and I saw her blood being drawn back into the syringe with the pink fluid. And that's how Olivia ended up with a wet patch on her shoulder.

And yes, PintoPiaffe, the light is what made me dive for my cell phone to take the picture. I sent it to my mom and sister, who couldn't get out of work in time to say their goodbyes; and we were all blown away by the image.

LaurieRace, I also hope and pray you never say these words in your daugher's lifetime. Maybe my Olivia is, and will be, looking out for yours

thank you to all who have responded in support of me tonight. I truly do appreciate it.
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

Reese, just know the you made the most loving and unselfish decision you could have made. It is a blessing to know that we can help our pets to not experience the suffering that can come with cancer & that we can help make their crossing over the bridge as peaceful as possible.

As a vet tech, I can say I have experienced my fair share of this and it never gets easier, but it is a comfort to know that we are able to help these pets and their owners during one the most difficult times ever.

((((HUGS to you and your family)))))

~Darci~
    "We have an obligation. We are their keepers." ~Roy Jackson

Thank you, WW... I was feeling quite guilty today and even over the last few months for bringing up the idea to my family that it may be getting close to time, despite their protests to the contrary (I personally feel we acted too late)... but reading what you posted makes me feel so much better about "talking them into it" today.

You're right- it was the most loving and unselfish thing we could do for her. And it was necessary.

Hugs right back to you, and to everyone else out there reading and lending support tonight... even if it's not posted, it's appreciated.

What a beautiful girl. When I looked at the picture my first thought was that she was ready.

Bless you for doing right by her. I know it hurts, it always does when we lose a part of ourselves as you did. {{HUGS}}

Godspeed Olivia.

As if I wasn't crying hard enough for you, as I'm typing this, my best black lab in the wrold, Holly's lying at my feet - she got up and pushed her nose under my elbow to add her cold wet nose nuzzles for you, too.
    ** I LOVE PUIKA & SHELLA FAN CLUB*** member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Good job R&G!
    You may now add Horsesaver Extraordinaire to your resume

That is a beautiful picture. She has an all-knowing look about her.
    It is so hard to do the right thing. Hugs.

I'M sorry for your loss. It does seem that there is a rush for The Bridge all of a sudden. She'll be in good company with all of our friends who have passed. They try to carry on -for us, but we need to make the decision - for them. Our dear Polly stayed with us, I'm sure, until she knew Bella would ease our pain, would guard her horses and goats and chase the cat. Once she knew for sure we'd be OK , she was ready . We weren't, we never are, but you have to let go- for them. Bella has been all those things- but she LIKES the cat and the cat likes her! Polly must be SO ticked! hUGS TO YOU!

Hugs to you! Godspeed Olivia.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Olivia sounded like such an amazing dog and a total sweetheart. It's hard to even think about having to put Addy down, so I can only imagine the pain and heartbreak you must be in. I give my thoughts and prayers to you and the fam!
    Oh and that picture is simply beautiful. The light is perfect.

Big Hugs to you!
    ~___/>
    >>_>>

||------||
    ||=====||

More hugs....what a lovely lady she was! Godspeed her over the Bridge.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Well, darn it, I went to a human funeral today and didn't shed a tear....but you got me on this one. RIP dear Olivia.

Ohhhhh Reese I am so sorry.

Losing your doggie is such a hard thing to go thru.

Big hugs to you.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Reese, my deepest sympathies. It is never an easy decision to make, but in time your happy memories will help to ease your pain.

I am so sorry for your loss of Olivia. We had to put our dog Whisky to sleep on Friday.
    You have my sympathy for sure.

Thank you, everyone. Your support and responses are much appreciated.

MintHillFarm- I'm so, so sorry about Whiskey. I'm sure he and Olivia are romping on the other side, restored to health and youth. My thoughts are with you at this difficult time.