The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question saddle suggestion for high-withered TB?

Hi all,
    I have a Courbette Aristokrat dressage saddle that I really like, that fits my horse, has a comfy seat, but puts me in completely the wrong position (shoves my lower leg forward, even when I lift the saddle from the back abit)... So I am now on the search for a new dressage saddle... *sigh*

I will be test-riding saddles, but have no idea where to start since there are so many saddles out there!

So, help me break it down... Any good saddles that will fit a fairly high withered TB with a medium tree (his current saddle is a 31 cm)? I prefer black and under $1000, new or used. 'Course I have to get the other one sold first...
    Thanks!!
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

Passier GT is a nice fit for high withers. May give you some of the same position issues unless you use a riser pad, though.

Look for a Neidersuss Symphonie "N" tree. Great saddles, last forever. The N tree is perfect for TB's.
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Definitely look at the Passiers. Wonderful saddles IMO and great for high withers.

Bumping. Have a rescue TB that I will start back under saddle this spring, has shark fin withers...

I have a very high withered TB, also. I have an Albion Med. tree that I thought fit him perfectly, except for it did push my legs forward and put me totally out of balance. I bought a thinline halfpad with shims and used 3 to lift the back of the saddle, which put me in the right place. It worked fine, but I thought, maybe if I have the saddle fitter put some extra padding in the back, I wouldn't have to use the shims. Well, we decided the saddle needed to be widened a little and that has helped alot. Turns out the saddle really was too narrow for him. So, you might try a MW or even a W saddle and see what happens. My saddle fitter said, it is okay, if you can get 1 or 2 finger width between the pommel and the withers. That is w/out a saddle pad and girthed up. Just my experience!! Good Luck!!

My County Despire fits both the shark fins well. Not under a $1,000 though. Had no luck
    with Collegiate saddles. One has a Gold Metal from Libertyville Saddle that did well until
    he bulked up, then he went into the guy's saddle. Think new, they are around $1000--
    it's Libertyville's house brand, made in England. Also had one for my old guy that was
    a close contact and a very nice saddle. They have one in that line that is designed for
    high-withered thoroughbreds.

Whatever saddle you consider, look for a cutback pommel. Allows room for those shark fins. Passier, Neidersuss, Wintec/Bates (slight cutback, I think), Keiffer. What's medium in one saddle may be wide in another. You just can't tell till you try it on the horse.

My TB is fairly high withered and I've got him in a Collegiate, and is fit him better than the MW TB Albion I had, which also put me in the WRONG position. I absolutely hated it, probably will never go back to an Albion. I'm selling mine, and it's on trial. If it doesn't sell, and you'd like to try it, feel free to pm me!
    I know now, the place that I was trying to reach, was you, right here in front of me

Thanks all, some very good suggestions. It is just so fristrating that the saddle fits HIM, but NOT me!

Anchor, if it doesn't sell, PM me!

Passier.

My fitter recommended the Kieffer Rusty for my guy, and the Kieffer TB looks good too:

http://www.calevo.com/cgi-bin/calevo...e/1010312.html
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

MY Wintec Isabell fits well on my sharkfin TB. I have a hard time finding a jumping saddle that fits him well due to his withers, but never any problems with the Isabell. I'd try one to make sure it works for *you* before you decide, though.

I have a Kieffer Wein DL Pro for my narrow and high withered horse. It's the only saddle I could find that fit him without spending a tonne of money. You can usually find them used for under 1k.

McMom, oh yeah, I'll be test-riding, I assure you! I am already trying everyones saddles at the barn to see what fits him and riding in it if it does... All very good suggestions, and it helps narrow down my search abit. Thanks all!

Otto Schumacher Profi- and a used one should be in your price range.

texang73-
    will do
    I know now, the place that I was trying to reach, was you, right here in front of me

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Roux View Post
    Passier GT is a nice fit for high withers. May give you some of the same position issues unless you use a riser pad, though.
    Have this one (I bought used on Ebay for 700.)and it works great on TBs!

Albion, Kieffer and Passier are the brands I would go with.

Out of those three I prefer Kieffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Passier.
    Passier GG - fits my HIGH withered Trak and am sure it would fit any horse I put it on.