The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Going poor renewing memberships...

Anyone ever feel like they are going below the poverty level when they renew all of their memberships?? I just did USDF... USEF... and I need to do USEA...! By the time I'm done I feel like I won't have any $$$ left for actual entries!!!

LOL! I totally agree with you. Throw in 4 lifetime recordings for both USDF and USEF with that for mature horses then breed memberships...
    Unbridled Oaks - Champion Sport Ponies and Welsh Cobs

Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/unbridledoaks

Ohhhh, I too agree with you! What with the association, federation, etc. memberships, let's not forget the various magazine, periodical subscriptions, etc. too! And, as much as I think it's important to belong to your chosen discipline's clubs, etc. and I must say that I do enjoy the magazine reading, sometimes it seems like such a chore to write those multiple checks every year!
    Does Class Always Show? You bet it does!
    http://classalwaysshows.blogspot.com
    "To Thine Own Thoroughbred Be True"

This year, I felt much better about my memberships. Specifically because, I don't have to register a horse this year. Like a poster had mentioned, the lifetime horse is steep!

I had to do it all also and also my local schooling asso. I'm broke It really surprised me how much I had to spend. I hate that there are so many different ones to join. I'd hate to have to join USEA also this year but I think I'm cutting out eventing all together and just going to do c/ts at the local. Its just crazy.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

It is painful. I think I benefit more from GMOs and regional breed club so don't mind them at all. Plus members get free classifieds with the GMOs so that can pay for itself. The others---well I feel I have to, that's all. It wouldn't look that professional to skip USEF and USDF. In fact I got a mass letter from a local "trainer" seeking business and looked her up--no memberships. I concluded she wasn't all that professional. Pay to play.
    http://TouchstoneAcres.com
    Touchstone Acres Lipizzans, Standing N. Samira VI (Gray), N. XXIX-18(Black), more in 2014

We also HAVE to join our GMO if we're going to show - otherwise a whole 'nother non-member fee to pay. And then there is horse recording with USDF on top of horse registration with USEF. And my stallion's registry requires a whole 'NOTHER fee if we are going to participate in All Breeds awards... The money just keeps dribbling away, doesn't it?

I wish there was ONE fee we could pay if we're showing in ONE discipline - and then we could have ONE membership number, ONE card. And our horses could have ONE number and ONE card too! It isn't just expensive, it's kind of archaic... Think of all the people trying to monitor that at the various organizations - and the poor show managers trying to track it all. There's got to be an easier (and less expensive) way...
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

Unhappy

Hmmmm! I wonder if I paid my GMO dues? If I don't get a newsletter I'll guess I didn't.

Dragging my heels on the breed membership.

Paid everything else back in Oct/ Nov, when I was still feeling rich.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Did my GMO in November, but still need to do USDF and USEF I think. Guess I should figure out first if I'm even going to be able to show the new girl or if I'm not quite ready for prime time yet! How come everything has to be on the calendar year?!? I'm also getting hit for website renewal, massage insurance renewal and group membership for that. I'm steadfastly ignoring the magazine renewal cards. If they expire, so be it I guess. I'll miss them, but can get them at the tack shop once in a while if I REALLY miss them, or just re-up later. The stack on my table might finally shrink...

I never get to all of mine until February. Having all that money to shell out at holiday time is a hardship!

I have to include a participating membership for all breeds and a DAD class sponsorship in the renewal budget as well.
    *Every horse is a self-portrait of the rider....Autograph your work with excellence.*
    Supporting Nokotas www.nokotahorse.org
    Lipizzan's rock! http://rigitta.blogspot.com/

AAaaaargh....I feel your pain.

I had to join AHA in order to SAVE money in registering my half-Arab.

I had to rejoin (against my will!) ApHC to register the same horse's "other half."

I always join my local GMO. I've foregone "participating" USDF membership and just go with the GMO/USDF affiiliation, and I didn't renew USEF membership since at this point, I'm only showing Intro, which is unrecognized. I suppose I ought to pony up the $$ for USEF and USDF, though, since I certainly HOPE to be showing Training Level by mid-year. Sigh.

Because I always have color horses, I used to join ApSHA, but geesh, who can afford it any more. Just getting to the shows is expensive enough, and these days, I'm only riding one class instead of two.

Tell me about it! Grrrr!

Try adding on if you have a stallion and have to pay all the active stallion fee (300-500 per year depending on which registry!!) My tax return is going to "stallion costs"..... this year!
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

Talking

Yep, just paid my USEF, and USDF, and then comes the breed registry membership invoice too. Total: $227. Total does not include a GMO fee.

So after that and after reading all the above posts, here's the solution.

WE need to charge THEM (equestrian associations) for the privlege of having US be affiliated with THEIR organziation.

The way it is now, it's all backwards.

We need to charge a fee for being able to have us as members.

Aren't we worth it ?

Of course we are. Without us, they're nothing.

Let's see. How much should we charge them ?
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Mardi has the right idea!
    www.spindletopfarm.net

LOL, I just joined the CDS for the first time and that was bad enough! I think I'd have a heart attack paying for all of them!

Quote Originally Posted by STF View Post
    Tell me about it! Grrrr!

Try adding on if you have a stallion and have to pay all the active stallion fee (300-500 per year depending on which registry!!) My tax return is going to "stallion costs"..... this year!
    Oh I know! I have 2 stallions this year....
    Unbridled Oaks - Champion Sport Ponies and Welsh Cobs

Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/unbridledoaks

Crap... I haven't done the local GMO yet... Well there's some more money to shell out! I think I need to do more overtime at work... but then when shall I ride my horse that I'm paying all these dues to be able to show him??? I *hope* to get my bronze medal this spring in which case the joy of earning that medal will hopefully erase all the bad memories of being poor!

Well consider what it's like for us breeders!! I get Lifetime numbers for all our horses and ponies and have to pray that the new owners or future owners will keep that number to at least give me credit as the breeder.

I have had a Lifetime USDF membership through my GMO for over 30 years. Now I have to pay an additional fee each year to them to be LISTED as a member. And I also have a Participating Membership. My horses are all owned by a corporation so I have to register my corporation EVERY YEAR with USDF and pay a big fee.

On the USEF side - I paid a very large fee to register the corporation and purchased a Lifetime membership for myself. NOW - if any of the horses are going to show in the Hunters we have to pay for this Hunter Jumper Association fee. AND we've had some go into eventing to that's USEA fees as well.

What frosts me as that there is NO GUARANTEE that the horses and ponies I bred will continue to be registered in the system with full breeding information including me as the breeder.

I Europe they get ONE NUMBER FOR LIFE for ALL DISCIPLINES. Everytime I ask the various horse organizations why we can't do that I get a bunch of hooey from them.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

I Europe they get ONE NUMBER FOR LIFE for ALL DISCIPLINES. Everytime I ask the various horse organizations why we can't do that I get a bunch of hooey from them.
    I so agree with you. Maybe one day, ONE DAYYYYYYYYYYYY, it will happen.
    www.spindletopfarm.net

I'm a bad member and stretch them out. No rated shows until April? No Canadian Equine Gold membership until April

I have to buy Alberta Equine to ride at my barn, it's not so bad, and thankfully AHA memberships are 12-month, they don't all automatically expire in January. You also have to do the local club thing at the same time.

I'm a total Amateur, Local-only show person though, can't imagine what you have to do if you actually show at a high level!
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior