The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default When Can I come ride your horse?

Yes, I got asked that today at work by a guy I've known a total of 3 days. What is it with people that think everyone who owns horses is just dying to have someone come out for a trail ride and you get to play outfitter? I told him I don't have any horses suitable for him and he and his girlfriend would have a good time at a rent-a-horse barn. Then he asks if I have any ponies for kids to ride? WTF? What do I look like? A fugging day care? Oh, and get this, he even says "well, it wouldn't be now, but maybe in the couple of months, we can do this." That's nice, he's telling me when he will come out and ride my horses!

If he brings it up again, I'm going to ask him when I can drive his car. I think that should settle the matter. Too bad I have to work with this jerk. And I was just starting to like him.

Have you ever had someone be this clueless? What gives?
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

That kind of cluelessness requires only one answer:

"I'm sorry, that just isn't possible."

I would definitely ask if he has a boat or a motorcycle first - then perhaps you could trade for a day -

Just say "most of my horses are terribly dangerous, but I'd love to have you come help muck out the stalls! This saturday would work best for me, when can you be there?"

I had someone from work ask me if she could come down and ride my horses.

My reply: "No."

Why be rude? Just say no,i don't let any one else ride him ( or her).To him it as a reasonable question as a non horse person.
    mm

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    Yes, I got asked that today at work by a guy I've known a total of 3 days. What is it with people that think everyone who owns horses is just dying to have someone come out for a trail ride and you get to play outfitter?

Have you ever had someone be this clueless? What gives?
    Frequently people ask when they can come "ride" my horse. Most of the time they don't act on the suggestion, because their lives are in fact, too complex. However, the odd person does actually show up occasionally to ride the horse. Generally, I have ridden horses who required a certain level of preformance on the part of the rider.
    So, I saddle the horse, put a grab strap on the saddle if needed, and using a halter and rope, lead the person up and down the drive, so they can have a "riding experience", but not actually ride "my" horse.

When they sit on the horse, I usually try to improve their posture so the horse doesn't have too much trouble carrying them. It is a good experience for the horse to experience how others effect their (the horse's) balance, with no danger posed to the horse's mouth. If the visitors have good balance, I'll lead them through a trail in the woods.

Net result, person becomes sympathetic towards horses, and you have started them on a journey. Not by continuing to ride your horse. But you have planted a seed.

When I had lesson-appropriate horses, my answer was "Just let me know! Lessons are X dollars and I'd love to teach you/your kid." Sometimes it actually worked and I got a new client!

Now I have it pretty easy since most of what I own is old and retired. Of course, visitors are welcome - to groom, pet and feed treats.

Yes, I've had clueless people ask me before.

When I started leasing a horse prior to re-horsing, I had a co-worker as if she could come out and exercise him..

1st He is not my horse.
    2nd Why the heck do you think I'm leasing him??? Umm, to ride him myself.

Of course she got all huffy and puffy... Too bad.

Then another co-worker TOLD me she was going to bring her daughter over to ride. Yes, she knows how to ride because she has been on a horse before.

When I finally bought my own horse, I never ever discussed it with co-workers again!!

If you don't want to look like the bad guy, just say your insurance won't cover anyone else riding. That is the easiest way out.
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

My response falls somewhere between the previous two posts of katknsn & HoofPrinceinmud. If anyone shows interest in riding, I try to introduce them slowly by just bringing them to the barn.

Many are frightened with the realization of what big, powerful (and dangerous) animals they are, and are content to have me lead them. Some are surprised that heavy boots and a helmet are a must.

Then, if truly interested I point them towards lessons or hack stables, since my beast isn't ready yet.

I've had that happen. I was shocked initially because I can't imagine inviting myself anywhere (how incredibly rude), and then to invite oneself to ride someone's HORSE? That's akin to asking someone "when can I sleep with your spouse"!!!! At least in my mind. I think I just nervously giggled and mumbled something about my horse being green and not suitable for all riders.

I've taken many other coworkers out to the barn and introduced them to the horses, and a couple of them I've taken out on "lead rides" on my former horse. I do see it as a way of introducing them to the horse.

I do have to say though, I always wanted to reply with "Sure, you can come ride my horse. But, is your life insurance paid up?"

*sigh* I never did.

I had someone that was coming on some business make arrangements so it would be on a Saturday, so he could bring his wife and two and four year old kids with him.
    By the way, you do have some ponies they can ride?
    The kids just loooooove horses.

I wanted to say we didn't run a daycare with Wal-Mart dime ponies.
    I just told him no, most of our horses are ranch horses and not really kid safe.
    One is, but I would not want to start that now.
    Easier to say no now than when their pushiness is emboldened by the circumstances.

I chalk people that invite themselves to bad manners, but we don't need to respond in kind.
    A firm "NO" should be understood by most people.
    If they insist, we can explain that we are not set up to give rides and tell them where there is a riding school/trail riding stable.

Perhaps, have them sign a waiver that they'd not sue you if they get hurt and that they are responsible for all medical costs associated with the injury. Show them the medical bills, etc. and that might help them see that it is not to be taken lightly.
    Will get a dream horse!
    More riding, swimming, and rowing, less posting

I've never understood this either. I get it all the time. People apparently think that I'm just waiting for someone whose never been on a horse before to hop on mine. Usually I can just explain that my horse is a highly excitable ex race horse that is being trained to event. I use the normal stereotype that most people have of all TB's being high strung to my advantage. Most of the time that's enough to get people to rethink their request. If anyone still persists I will just tell them that my trainer doesn't want anyone else to ride him as we are at a crucial stage of his training. Not exactly true, my horse wouldn't care about it, but I don't want someone bouncing around on him like a sack of potatoes and yanking on his mouth.

I like the idea of asking if their life insurance is paid up. Maybe I'll have to ask that next time.

A guy at work asked me if he could bring his wife out to ride one of my horses. I replied that she had a better chance of sleeping with my husband than riding my horse. He hasn't asked since. I have several jumping pictures in my office, and it seems to deter beginners.

I'm all for the "when can I drive you car/boat/motorcycle" type response. Problem is, people don't understand horse riding whatsoever. They don't understand the cost and dedication involved-- or the skill. So even the car response might be a bit off.

Oftentimes people will ask how much my horse cost-- a bit rude, but I don't think they know better. They are just being curious. Here is where cars come in handy-- explain horses are like cars. You can buy an old beater for $600 all the way through a million plus Bugatti.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    Just say "most of my horses are terribly dangerous, but I'd love to have you come help muck out the stalls! This saturday would work best for me, when can you be there?"
    I like that one

yea, and they can help stack 100s of bales of hay in August, and, come out and feed, muck, water (even in the dead of winter at 4am, again at 6pm) 365 days a year, etc. after a couple of years of doing that, THEN they will have earned the right to come out and ride

The next time someone asks me, I swear I'm going to say "Can I drive your Porsche? I used to drive when I was a kid."
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

To us horse people it does sound horribly rude that people invite themselves over to ride our horses. But I think to a non-horse person whose only horse knowledge is seeing them on TV it probably does not seem like a big deal.

I usually go with 'sorry, no, I do not give pony rides' or such.

Tell them that horses don't listen to strangers.

Try ordering your neighbors dog around and see how far you get.

However, I have an older saint of a horse who will pack anyone so if the person seems nice I might accomodate.