The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Courbette XC Saddle

State Line Tack has a XC saddle on sale (Courbette Vision C/C Eventing Saddle) and I was wondering if anyone rides in it and can tell me more. I have a high withered TB mare, so I was wondering if this saddle might be a good choice.

Have ridden in one a few times and liked it. But that doesn't mean that you will! Try to get your hands on one and take it for a spin first.

Ditto what flypony said! I have one, and I love it, and I do have a high-withered TB, but you still need to try it out first.

ETA: just saw the sale price... DAMN! I wish I had gotten mine for that great a deal!
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

I'm at an eventing barn. Trainer has an older one and pretty much everyone has ridden in it and loved it, no matter their size. Her horse had extremely high withers and it fit him fine.

Since then 3 of the kids have gotten the same saddle with a fourth getting ready to take advantage of the sale price.

Just be aware that it is a very heavy saddle to hoist!

WOW! Thanks for the heads up on the great price! I'm going to try one out providing they'll take it back if it doesn't fit my horse!

Default I just ordered one!

I just ordered one of the saddles

I called first to check the return policy! They allow returns within 30 days in new condition. He said I could girth it up and try it (and I'll put tube socks on the leathers)

I am very excited! Thanks CoTH. I have just spent $2500 on a Stubben and while it was *okay* it wasn't THE saddle....the thought of having a NICE saddle for $900 is tickling. Hopefully it'll fit and I'll love it!

I'll report back!

PS. Free shipping. It's worth it just to try it. Obviously if it doesn't fit I'll have to ship it back...

Oh, why did I read this thread... NOW I WANT ONE!!!!

hmm.... wonder if that would fit Fleck too????? He's got a high wither and is a medium (31 cm tree in stubben) with a broader back... Any ideas if it would fit?

Maybe I'll have to give it a go also... that is a good deal.. .and free shipping you say?! hmmmm... can't be more than $50 to ship it back.....

Last edited by FLeckenAwesome; Jan. 9, 2009 at 04:57 PM.

My daughter has a Courbette Vision for her medium tree broad-backed thoroughbred cross mare. She loves this saddle and it fits her horse extremely well. She used to ride in a Prestige Red Fox which she also liked, but it didn't fit this horse. She likes the Courbette better! We bought ours used for State Line's sale price. What a great deal!
    A horse may be coaxed to drink, but a pencil must be lead.

Well now that I'm reading everyone's "fitting" thoughts, I'm just PRAYING it'll fit my wide backed Welsh cob! He does have withers, but he is pretty flat backed. It has a gussetted panel, and every wide tree gussetted panel saddle I've tried has fit him very well....

Here's some finger crossing!

Rivertide Guest

Red face Definately try sitting in one first

I was really sold on the Courbette Vision. I am a long time Courbette fan and it appeared to be the perfect saddle for my needs until I sat in one. Ugh. I found it was too flat for my liking and I didn't like where my leg/knee got placed, especially for XC. It might do for stadium, but even that would be questionable. There are loads of used ones on the market and I would get one on trial to see how you like it. If the Vision doesn't work for you, I would recommend you try the Courbette Aristokrat, which is deeper and more forward.

Best of Luck with the saddle search!

I purchased a nice used Vision this summer and I LOVE it! The forward knee rolls are great for cross country. What a great sale! I bought mine used for that sale price. I have a high withered OTTB that it fits very well. It is a heavy saddle though. I also really like the look of the two tone leather.
    Corgigirl14

Default courbette!!!

I have three of them and wouldnt ride in anything else! I have the Courbette Vision Extra for cross country (has more forward flap and slightly larger knee roll) and the regular Vision Close Contact for stadium and the Marcshall (older courbette) for dressage.
    The Courbette has saved my butt many times!!! With the back thigh block (after the saddle is broke in of course) it locks your leg in place.
    I did a clinic one time with a top upper level eventer who rode my horse in the clinic over some fences and said he didnt like my saddle--i asked why--he said it locked you in too much--and i said isnt that the point--to stay in the saddle???
    I do all my riding (hacking too) in the courbette to keep them broke in--it is quite a difference in riding in a new one and and a broke in one. The just get better and better the more you ride in them.
    I was a former Stubben fan and have now switched to the courbette only--altho if i could afford it i would get a County (cant remember which model it is--my dressage instructor has one) instead of the Marschall for dressage. The Marschall is ok but a little stiff--of course i only ride in it at shows--use the jumping saddle for everyday dressage work.

Courbette Visions rock out loud.. Best saddle I have ever ridden in and it fits both my awkwardly shaped Morgan pony and my buff, muscled ISH perfectly!! Has a spring tree too which is a big plus. I have always ridden in a Courbette.

Sweet... I just found a friend with one, who LOVES it, and her horse is similar to Fleck, so... I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and try it out. Hopefully if it works... they will still be on sale at SLT!

I had one for awhile and I liked it. I believe I had the extra fwd version of the vision. It is a heavy saddle though! I now have a Devoucoux and probably won't ever go back lol.

okay... So VTO has some other Courbettes on sale also. I noticed the aristokrat and the Galant... anyone know anything about either of those?!

I have the Galant and really love it! The knee and thigh blocks lock your leg in place - very steady, balanced saddle. The leather is fantastic, but out of interest - a friend bought hers slightly used and the leather is not nearly as nice as the leather on my saddle. Same model, same dye, but very different leather quality. I bought mine for my youngster, knowing ihe would grow out of it quickly, and he has! I will now be selling it. Please contact me if you're interested.

Stubben also has a few saddles for sale--pretty good discounts:
    http://www.stubbennorthamerica.com/stuWebsaddles.html

Quote Originally Posted by eventersmom View Post
    My daughter has a Courbette Vision for her medium tree broad-backed thoroughbred cross mare. She loves this saddle and it fits her horse extremely well. She used to ride in a Prestige Red Fox which she also liked, but it didn't fit this horse. She likes the Courbette better! We bought ours used for State Line's sale price. What a great deal!
    Yes I do love my saddle! Thank you mommy!