The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    califgirl Guest

I am new here but must say we had a horse in our barn that we also found out had been an olympic horse that was purchased in the US quite cheaply for a kid. We ran his background and found his original owner but never figured out why he ended up in a sales barn for $5000 dollars. This horse was a dressage horse...........Maybe the horse was donated to a school? Many people do this thinking their horses will be taken care of, but many are sold when they are too lame to stand up to the rigors of this kind of work without the previous owners knowledge. I'm sure noone did this on purpose to a horse of this caliber

He looks so happy in those pictures! I bet he'll be looking quite spiffy after some TLC as well!
    "It's about the horse and that's it" - George Morris

Hey, they don't all take a sad turn!
    Ditto this, and stressing that we don't know what went on. Many of us keep our retirees, at our farm, we have one retired former jumper and one retired small pony.

Sometimes bad things happen despite good efforts made. Not everyone reads the COTH BB, and it's ridiculous to think they need to "defend themselves" to random internet people that they don't know. We've all seen COTH threads turn a bit rabid.

The important thing is that that horse looks absolutely thrilled to bits. It's wonderful that Tazer was able to give him a good home. Good luck with him, and I can't wait to see follow up photos.

Quote Originally Posted by nlk View Post
    So I'm a little lost on his history...Did he do the Olympics? 1998? Is that what I'm getting?

I have gathered he did WEG in Rome and has competed in several world cups.... and grand prixs and I saw the pics at Traders Point but the highlighted part confused me...
    Never mind I think I found it...98' Olympics Rome???? Placed 18th?

These people are not obligated to "defend" themselves against anything. It has often been said that in the horse business, your reputation is everything. Those that are well-versed in PR say that it is important to get the truth out, and get it out early.
    Considering the interest that this thread has generated, they, or a surrogate, could outline the steps that had been taken to prevent this outcome. this might help others from falling into similar situations.

I'm so glad that this amazing horse now has a much deserved forever home!!!

My question is what happened for him to get to this point?? It says on his results page on the USEF site that he was last shown with Kacey McCann in Virgina on 5/14/2008. Anyone know any details?? Just curious!!

Also i'm assuming that the rider from the Traders Point pictures is a girl by the name of Gabrielle Stern??
    "I have puppies instead of children. I'd rather ruin my carpet than my life."

nlk, 1998 was the World Equestrian Games in Rome; there were no Olympics in 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    nlk, 1998 was the World Equestrian Games in Rome; there were no Olympics in 1998.
    Yeah thanks I miss typed someone else sent me a pm too! My mistake. I'm trying to find the info from th original board.

I gave a quick update that he found a home and one of the girls came back with this whole rode in the Olympics by ....placed 18th... only just used the same year as WEG. I didn't pay attention to the dates... So I'm trying to cross reference this, and this is also from someone who knew the difference between the WEG and Olympics so that wasn't the mistake.

Thanks again! Like everyone else I find his history fascinating and I'm just trying to keep up that's why there's all the question marks

If you want to read a similar story, search COTH for 'Flint'
    People trust other people and sometimes that trust is not warranted, or the situation is misunderstood and the horse gets shuffled along without the 'owner' knowing. It happens more than any of us want to think.

I think Addison noted, let's focus on this being a wake up call for each of us to look around and see if there is a situation in which we can help, rather then pointing fingers when we don't have the whole story. Let's keep it positive, like Dux has- he's not ruffled, he appears happy to meet new friends and [imo] has already attached himself to Tazer. Smart boy!

Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter View Post
    Also i'm assuming that the rider from the Traders Point pictures is a girl by the name of Gabrielle Stern??
    He did several classes at Traders Point with a couple different riders.
    I have no idea who is who.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Flashe may know - she posts here on occasion.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

This has been an amazing thread! SO glad that this horse found a happy home and can live in the life he deserves. I wish that for all of them and thank you to all the wonderful people who love and respect these kind creatures! Amazing! A restoration of faith on this COLD Monday morning!
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

According to the results from TPH 07 on Horseshowsonline.com , he was shown by Gaby Stern in the Low Jr/AO Jumpers & Jill Knowles (trainer) in a Level 6 class.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Oh, for heaven's sake. People sell horses all the time and thank god they do or none of the rest of us would ever own one.

I sold Midge in 2004 to a nice family who I know still had her last year. Do they still? I don't know. Including that family, Midge was owned by four different people. If she ended up in a bad way, which one of us was 'responsible'?

The horse after Midge I sold to another nice family who now has him for sale again. I am working hard to keep track of him but, I did sell him. If He ends up in a bad spot, I will feel horrible but am I any more 'responsible' than the person who sold him to me, or the person who bought him from me?

The horse after that I couldn't ride one side of. She was seven when I sold her and is now apparently an impressive talent at eventing. If she goes on to be a *** horse next year and ends up in a bad way ten years later, is that my 'fault' too?

My current horse is five. Since I have yet to keep a horse it's entire lifetime, I assume I will sell him on, too. What if he is only ever 'good' at being a trail horse? I sell him to a family who wants a trail horse, he serves them faithfully and 15 years later, they dump him at a sale. Damn, I should have seen that coming.

I want all horses to come to a good end, but let's face it. Very few people keep all their horses all their lives. To blame someone for selling it on when it still has usefulness is silly.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

I think Addison noted, let's focus on this being a wake up call for each of us to look around and see if there is a situation in which we can help, rather then pointing fingers when we don't have the whole story. Let's keep it positive, like Dux has- he's not ruffled, he appears happy to meet new friends and [imo] has already attached himself to Tazer. Smart boy!
    Agreed!!

I loved the pics of him in his new home.... lucky boy!! May him and Tazer have many happy years together.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Default My opinion

This is my opinion - take it for what it is worth and I hope this doesn't seem too harsh. All parties involved in the events preceeding Taser taking possession of Dux are accountable for their actions. Horses are not disposible toys that once they age, break down etc. should be cast aside. I find this situation analagous to a boxer, who was once a title winner, fighting lower class matches as he ages, then ending up as a security guard at Walmart. Thank God Dux was found by Taser. People who show at a high power level should be financially able to purchase a retirement farm for their retirees or find a suitable retirement not a chain of owners. Maybe what was done to Dux is the norm, but it has to change. I am tired of our disposible society.

On a bright note, Dux is doing well. He is bright, alert and eating well. He has some minor rainrot and some dental issues. There is a lot of life left in this boy. Maybe he will never be ridden again, but one thing I can promise is that he will never have another home or owner. THIS IS FOREVER.

I think that there is only one person responsible, and that is the person that let him deteriorate into this condition. The person that let him get this skinny is the only one responsible. Unless he was sent to auction right after his last show, then his last recorded owners are not at fault, they might have thought he was going to a great home with big pastures and plenty of feed and love, when in reality this is what it ended up being. But that is just my thought on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by medhorse View Post
    This is my opinion - take it for what it is worth and I hope this doesn't seem too harsh. All parties involved in the events preceeding Taser taking possession of Dux are accountable for their actions. Horses are not disposible toys that once they age, break down etc. should be cast aside. I find this situation analagous to a boxer, who was once a title winner, fighting lower class matches as he ages, then ending up as a security guard at Walmart. Thank God Dux was found by Taser. People who show at a high power level should be financially able to purchase a retirement farm for their retirees or find a suitable retirement not a chain of owners. Maybe what was done to Dux is the norm, but it has to change. I am tired of our disposible society.

On a bright note, Dux is doing well. He is bright, alert and eating well. He has some minor rainrot and some dental issues. There is a lot of life left in this boy. Maybe he will never be ridden again, but one thing I can promise is that he will never have another home or owner. THIS IS FOREVER.
    I am glad to know that I am responsible for over 50 horses that I have owned in a lifetime. What shall I do with all those horses when they come knocking? Get realistic!

Quote Originally Posted by HHG-N View Post
    I am glad to know that I am responsible for over 50 horses that I have owned in a lifetime. What shall I do with all those horses when they come knocking? Get realistic!
    Then I take it you are not the responsible type! Call it karma.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hey y'all, can we please not...? This is such a beautiful story; how often do we get to see a real life happy ending like this? Slamming on each other, do you realize how much that lowers the tone? Please use some self-restraint and maturity and don't make this have to be about a personal war of opinion over issues of responsibility; we've all got our opinions and our stories but a tit for tat just doesn't belong on here.