The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Prepare for some cheeze...

But ya know what, I think we could all use a little... With all the talk lately about snarkiness in the horse world, both in real life and on internet BBs, I thought perhaps it was time for a thread about all the really great people and things that evolve out of horsey friendships.

For example, I just rec'd a package on my doorstep from a fellow COTHer, who was kind enough to send me some leftover supplement that she knew my horse could use. (Thanks BS!!) It put a big smile on my face, and once again I was amazed by the kindness of strangers...

And over the years, I've met some really cool people on COTH and other Internet BBs-- people who have shared their wisdom, their kindness, their unused horsey stuff, and even their horses with me. People who have talked me through horse care issues, riding and training issues, and life issues. I've made some really great friends, met some really cool people, and for the most part, enjoyed every minute of it!

I've seen members of this board, and other boards, reach out to those who needed a hand, and rally around members who were sick or needing a little bit of extra encouragement. I've always been amazed at the generosity of people on here and the way in which many will not think twice about extending their friendship or whatever else to those in need.

And my horse friends in real life are some of my favorite people. We've ridden together, done some really idiotic things, shared a few drinks (hah), laughed a lot, cried some too. Some I've known for 20+ years, and we've seen each other through the ups and downs that come with being involved with horses. Sure we are all a little nutty in our own way. But hey it keeps life interesting.

So I guess this is my ode to horse people in general. Yeah the business of horses can be rough and rude at times, but hey there are a lot of really great people out there.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Here here!

I've made some very close friendships that came out of COTH Connections.... people I would have never met IRL otherwise. I loff them now
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I met my best friend through her horse. She is one of only 2 people that I trust with my money, my husband, my children and my horses. The other is my daughter.

And yes... I love COTHERS, even the snarky ones. It makes sitting in front of my computer all day crunching data go faster.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Yep cheezie but oh so true....

Normally, I am the "Show Mom" for my barn. When I decided to ride in a show last November, a horsey friend of mine drove all the way from Tally to Jax just to be supportive and wipe my boots before I went in the ring.

Your "cheesiness" made me cry! Very well written-thanks

Great post Flash!

Good grief, where's my kleenex........my peepers are leakin...

very well put...
    I am trying to be the person my horse thinks I am.

Thanks guys, for letting me get a little corny. But honestly it is true.

For every whacko out there, there are 10 awesome people. So better to focus on the really cool people and the really great things they do!

Well said Flash! I have met a handful of COTHers and they have always been on my 'coolest people' list.

Really nice post as lately we've been hearing just the bad in people on BB's. COTHers have been very generous to me and a good source of support when I've needed it. And in turn it makes me want to be more supportive as well. I think COTH has more good than bad!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

The good:bad ratio I've experienced in the horse world is about 20 to 1. For every person I have even heard of that is less than stellar, there have been 20 amazing, generous, funny, kind people who have made me smile and just, in general, be glad to be a horse owner.

My riding buddy has never ever turned her back on an animal in need, dog, cat, horse or human. She brokers for buyers and sellers to make sure horses get good owners and riders get good mounts. She took me get my new puppies (after three horrific dog deaths in a little over 2 weeks) and volunteered to foster them for 2 weeks to ensure my house and premises were disinfected and their shots up to date before I brought them home.

My next door neighbor, even though she had drunk deeply of parelli's koolaid, got a grip in 08 and now also rides with me. She really expanded her comfort zone and keeps at it despite less than ideal health and lingering traumatic fear. I am so proud of her everytime she comes back from a layoff.

My own DH is inching ever closer to riding with me, especially since he's seen considerable improvements in "our" horses and most strikingly in "his" horse. It just might happen this winter/spring!

And always I am just deeply and profoundly humbled by the compassion COTHers show when one of their own has suffered a loss or a setback.

Default how cute

[QUOTE=4whitefeet;3789897]........my peepers are leakin...QUOTE]

has to be one of the cutest phrases i have ever heard. love it. Thanks for the giggle.

The world needs more cheese! Here's to 2009, let's have fun, make some friends and not take anything too seriously.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Talking Yay cheeze!

I have found that COTHers are very good about 'paying it forward' too. That's one of my favorite things about this group as a whole (sure there are some turkey, but they are definitely the minority)
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieSlave View Post
    I have found that COTHers are very good about 'paying it forward' too. That's one of my favorite things about this group as a whole (sure there are some turkey, but they are definitely the minority)
    This is so true.... and the little random acts of kindness we bestow on each other really make do make a difference.

I agree... for all the crazy horse people out there (and there are soooo many of them) there are also so many wonderful, open-hearted people. A girl on another board sent me a brand-new rope halter, paid for the shipping herself and all, simply because I mentioned my horse's colours and she had one that she'd bought for her horse that didn't fit. I still marvel at that.

When the barn I board at lost its facility last spring after the roof collapsed under snow, by mid-morning every horse person with a trailer in the vicinity was there to help us move all the horses and to offer stalls and space for them. My barn owners started a fundraising effort to get large animal rescue equipment and train a LAR team for the area to help other horse owners after their own horse went down in the mud and couldn't be saved, and they're kind of the go-to people in the area to help abandoned and neglected horses. And everyone else around here, no matter how many little political gossipy catfights are in place, still chips in and helps each other out when it's needed. There are so many good people out there in the horse community and I'm glad to see a thread that recognizes them. (: