The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Taking the plunge (again)... should I?

Back in 2006 I retired my driving pony and have been hunting for a replacement.

I work in commercial real estate, and with the economy tanking, and just having bought a new house, and the ankle injury, a new pony hasn't been a huge priority for me. My budget was also a bit lean for what I wanted, too. So between all that I've been content to just let me trainer casually keep an eye out for me. Until today, nothing had really come along.

I was very specific that after my last pony, I was done with raw materials and projects. My confidance is in the crapper. I want (no, NEED) an absolute packer at this point. I'm afraid, and I need a pony who will help me get my nerve back, and won't get upset if I have little freak out moments. We all know how easy it is to find an honest packer who can win in top company... much less on a budget.

Trainer just called and told me he's got 2 for sale and I should come try them. I already know both horses and their owners. One is a bit green but super fancy and super fun, the other a little less fancy but totally made and a saint. Both are proven winners in top company. I'm really interested in the palomino (the packer), as I know the pony and he really is just a true, true gem.

And the price? Sigh. That's the kicker. Giveaway prices. Absolute giveaway prices. Fire sales. Practically free.

The only thing stopping me is the sector I work in, which has been decimated by the economy. Yes, I can afford to feed and care for pony should I loose my job, but I'm also keenly aware of how bad things are out there.

Flip side, a chance to buy a pony like this at this price? I've been waiting 2 years and I KNOW even with the economy smoldering it might be 2 more years until I get another chance like this.

Sigh.

If you're really sure you can support a pony for a year (or two ) with little income, go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

You know we're enablers. Just do it already.

You come here to ask this question?

Seriously, go get that palomino cutie!

Get em both.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Well, I've asked my trainer to snap some shots of the palomino for me, looked up his show record and tenativly set to go try him this weekend.

Now I just have to get my husband to drive me an hour up the road to my trainer's place. I had knee surgery a few weeks ago and can't drive quite yet- I'm barely off crutches. He's going to be thrilled. Any recommendations on bribes I can offer?

Ever the voice of reason, my Mom says buy the palomino but not the pinto- and do it NOW. LOL. My gut says close my eyes and do it...

How can you try them with a bum knee? I can suggest bribes but this is a family board...

Why not the pinto? I love pintos.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

melltrine Guest

Awesome post

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    How can you try them with a bum knee?
    Pretty sure she is looking for a pony to drive, not ride.

Get em both.
    I agree!!

Buy him - you'll be kicking yourself if you pass him up.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    If you're really sure you can support a pony for a year (or two ) with little income, go for it.
    Yeah, if you can manage it, this kind of buyer's market isn't going to be around when your business picks up again!

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton View Post
    Pretty sure she is looking for a pony to drive, not ride.
    Yep! Driving ponies. I gave up riding years ago because of the bad knee My husband is none too keen on me climbing into a cart with my knee, but he's agreed to take me anyway. He seems to think I'll be content to watch my trainer show them to us. HAH!

My trainer assures me that I could throw the reins away on the palomino and take a nap and still be totally safe. He's kind and totally stupid proof. Trainer went so far as to say "Your husband could drive him" (my husband's horse knowledge is limited to what end eats and what end poops!)

I'm so excited! I'm trying to stay calm and remind myself I need to see the ponies, really study the ponies, take a step back, be prepared to say "not right for me" and all that. But I'm really, really excited anyway!

maybe have hubby video your trial? that way you can go home, and hit "rewind" as much as you want. You can watch how pony interacts with everything while you're busy oogling him.

good luck. go for it!

Good luck!!

I am actually with your mom: Get the palomino. "Green but super-fancy"?? There's a million of those out there, and there will be a million more. Pass. You can always find another one of THOSE later - but a truly bombproof driving horse/pony is priceless.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

An enabler... go get your pony and have a blast!!!!!!

All the best to you on your drives.

Wink LOL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You know we're enablers. Just do it already."
    Pao Lin

Quote Originally Posted by littleum View Post

Ever the voice of reason, my Mom says buy the palomino but not the pinto- and do it NOW. LOL. My gut says close my eyes and do it...
    I think you should always listen to your gut....

How can you try them with a bum knee? I can suggest bribes but this is a family board...

Why not the pinto? I love pintos.
    <laughing> I almost gave a few suggestions, too. One had to do with saran wrap.
    The pal cause she said she wanted a packer....Yeah, go for it.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

I agree that the pal sounds like exactly what the doctor ordered. If it wasn't for the knee. I hope you guys bring your camera!