What about an anticipation thread? I've been getting quotes from shippers on one hand while my trainer networked on the other, and she just told me that she has a ride here for my new girl, hopefully by Tuesday!!! I'll be glad to get her out of Colorado and away from fires.
Current status: Passed PPE (yay Quattro! Vet comment: "NICE horse!" ), got Coggins & health cert., secured a shipper. Just waiting to hear when they will actually leave - 2 from the same farm are coming down this way, and he has 1 more client he needs to hear from whether they are on board w/ this trip or not; then he'll finalize it. Leaving approx. 18th to 20th from NY state to TN and GA.
"The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief
I have a video, and I have watched it SEVERAL times. I even add editorial comments. "Get out of her mouth!" "MOVE OVER, would you, you're blocking my view!" "What a GOOD girl." "Who let the dog in the arena?" "WOW! Great counter canter." "The HORSE???? What happened to the HORSE???? If I want to see sky, I can go outside." "Give her a pat, now."
WA, she is (surprise) a dressage Trak. Actually, she's a nifty little jumper, too, but although I started in H/J, once I found dressage, I never looked back. She would easily pop over logs on the trail or such, though, and I can practically guarantee looking at the video that she has no stop in her. She looks fun. On the dressage side, when the dressage rider got on, she had incredibly balanced counter canter work (circles in counter canter) and confirmed changes also, which she never once offered until asked for. She's 10, approved Oldenburg too, one premium foal, but I'm buying her to ride. A horse with no physical problems coming to Stove-Up Acres. Wow.
I'm waiting for my students horse to arrive from VA around the 25th!! She's the special needs girl Ive been posting about. It's still a big surprise for her, but her mom and I are counting down the days!!!
(Quattro is still at least a week away... sigh...)
She's actually a buy-back. I sold her 14 months ago and in that time she has had 3 other owners and been sent on a badly timed breeding lease. (she's not really broodmare potential)
She has a fairly serious SI injury and I don't know if she will ever be sound. She will join my herd of geriatric pasture puffs and spend her days just hanging around.
Whoo-hoo!!! Just got a call from the former owner, who wanted to give me final advice on Pixie 101. Her care, feeding, quirks, likes, dislikes, how she challenges, what bit she wants, how she likes her equipment, an incredibly detailed summary clear down to what ring on the surcingle she likes her side reins clipped to and what warm-up exercises I should do AT A WALK before progressing on to trot and above to have the best possible ride. Invaluable info it would take me months of trial and error to learn, and this is one of those mares who has a preferred way of everything. She loves to work, but she does also have opinions on her environment. She's also coming with all of her blankets, which is good because she is clipped, and all of mine are nekkid. She'll need help on my 24/7 turnout setup for the rest of this winter.
It's getting closer! It's this week! But also I have to pause a moment tonight to salute former owners who take the time to provide such extensive information and owner's manuals with their horses. She was wound up sky high herself but also now and then with a little hitch in the voice. Her parting request was for me to keep her posted. I plan to.
My "New" mare arrived late yesterday afternoon. She trailered well and seems to be settling in. She doesn't have as much spunk as she did when I had her last, but that could be because she is tired, or sore, or maybe she has just grown up!
Ack! Call late tonight from the horse's former owner, who wanted to make sure she arrived safely, since I hadn't called to say.
Um, no. She hasn't arrived yet. I thought they (people giving horse a lift; private and not commercial) said probably Thursday? Didn't they say at my place Thursday?
She thought they said Wednesday.
In fact, I'm pretty sure they said Thursday.
She was pretty sure they had said Wednesday. On the other hand, she thought they might have run into some less-than-ideal weather.
Both of us are high on adrenaline this week, and one of us has obviously misheard the estimated ETA. Horse is somewhere between here and there and might or might not be late. On the other hand, they would have called with a problem, and no problem call to either me or her.
Thursday. I know they said Thursday. If no horse or call by tomorrow, I might start to get worried.
My mare had a stopover last night at a nice barn, because it was nearly 11:00 p.m. at that point, and they didn't want to push on and get here to introduce her to her new surroundings in the wee smalls. Trip has been going fine other than some stiff winds trying to play with the trailer a little. The mare is doing fine. She's been traveling in just one blanket (she is fully clipped) inside a closed trailer, and they've been keeping an eye on her temp, but her whole wardrobe was sent with her, and we'll layer her up when she gets here. It is, of course, 5 degrees this morning. Poor mare.