The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Should I toss this helmet?

I have a habit of placing things on the roof of my car -- purses, baby carriers, sodas, etc, and driving off. Well, I did it with my helmet, and it bounced down the gravel road pretty hard. It has a dime sized divet near the crown, and another gash right above the visor piece. No cracks though. Also the button (don't know technical term) on the top also popped off. Now, I have a preverse attachment to this helmet, as it is older than most of the people I ride with, but is it still safe? Or should I just break down and buy a new one?

It's toast.

Quote Originally Posted by eponina View Post
    I have a habit of placing things on the roof of my car -- purses, baby carriers, sodas, etc, and driving off. Well, I did it with my helmet, and it bounced down the gravel road pretty hard. It has a dime sized divet near the crown, and another gash right above the visor piece. No cracks though. Also the button (don't know technical term) on the top also popped off. Now, I have a preverse attachment to this helmet, as it is older than most of the people I ride with, but is it still safe? Or should I just break down and buy a new one?
    General rule of thumb about helmets....buy one after a hard fall, or every 5 years. Sounds like yours falls into both categories.

(I know how you feel, as I had a 30 yr old helmet I could not part with even though I never used it anymore!)

It depends on how much you value your brain. The attachment to the helmet is worth more than your brain? Just keep it. It's up to you.

On the other hand, you've said your helmet is old and damaged. It won't do what it's supposed to do, and when you need it, you need it.

I just replaced my helmet. Why? I had been wearing it for less than one year. I bought it in January, just after my last buck-off and concussion. I dropped the new helmet two or three times from about 3 feet. Last week I was saddled and ready, and noticed a crack in the back of the helmet. No riding for me, and the helmet went into the trash. Some people said I should have kept it for a backup. Why? It's no damn good.

But, I had a perfect, never used helmet at home. And now I've ordered another one. My brain - or what's left of it - is more important than riding on any particular day or the money for a new helmet.

I have a habit of placing things on the roof of my car -- purses, baby carriers, sodas, etc, and driving off.
    I have to ask - baby carriers??? Maybe you should buy a helmet for the baby as well...

Get a new one for riding, and if you are really attached, keep the old one and use it as a piece of decor in the house, a book end or hang it on the wall. I have a few that I won't part with so I just put them up on the top shelf of the horsey-related bookcase.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

If it's that old then it's probably toast anyway - the fall off your car was just the icing on the cake.

I'd get a new helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

My personal rule is that if I even have to ask myself the question ("Should I replace this helmet?"), it's time to go to the tack store.

I you like your brain, replace the helmet.

And don't get so attached to the new one that you don't replace it every five years, whether you fall on it or not.
    Proud member of the EDRF

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    I have to ask - baby carriers??? Maybe you should buy a helmet for the baby as well...
    I thought the same thing!! LOL, i'm sure being a mommy can cause a lot of stress/absentmindedness!
    "Horses give us the wings we lack"

My daughter took a fall onto frozen ground. Her helmet looked ok, but she taked to Charles Owen and they gave her another for reduced price. --- Not sure if fall-off-car counts, though!

Okay, okay it's gone!

(The baby carrier was empty, by the way! I had put it on the roof to put groceries in my back seat.)

I replace mine every 2 years.

My fiance bought me a cute navy Troxel two years ago. I never fell in it (knock on wood), but I know I was rough on it--dropping it, banging into things, etc. I'm sure the integrity was compromised.

So he bought me an IRH for Christmas.

>>>>Now, I have a preverse attachment to this helmet, as it is older than most of the people I ride with, but is it still safe? <<<<

You should have tossed it long ago. Go treat yourself to a new helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyTB View Post
    I replace mine every 2 years.

So he bought me an IRH for Christmas.
    He sounds like a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    He sounds like a keeper!
    Most definitely!

He doesn't know anything about horses but he gets my obsession. When my mare colicked on Friday and it was touch-and-go about having to haul to the hospital, I was freaking out about her AND the vet bills (we already had to take her to UW-Madison this summer).

Later that night he admitted that he was freaking out all day too--about the horse and the bills--but said we'd have paid for it somehow.

You should toss it for age alone. The structure of the helmets break down over time.

If in question, always get a new one- seriously, your brain is a terrible thing to waste.

It's not the fall that "killed" your helmet - it's everything else including its age which prompts me to say REPLACE IT.

Dropping it occassionally shouldn't hurt the helmet - providing that your head or other heavy item isn't in the helmet. The helmet gets compromised when the owner's head pushes up against the styrofoam and condenses the styrofoam (from the fall). If there is nothing inside the helmet (like your head) the styrofoam isn't going to condense....providing, of course, that the outer shell didn't crack or break during the dropping!

Replace the helmet because of the dings and age.
    Sarah in New Hampshire
    My Blog - Adventures in Eventing

No, but internal cracks can form in the styrofoam from a "dry fall" that will hamper the ability of the structure to absorb energy from a fall.

Better safe than sorry.

Helmets are "one time use items." If they take a good hit then that's the "one use."

I'd also replace on a five year schedule if they've never been used.

I replaced my IRH after I "used" it very much last Sep. They sent me a replacement for just about half price.

As to the baby carrier, all I can think of is Gale and Evelle leaving Nathan, Jr. on top of the car in Raising Arizona!!!!!

G.

Check when you buy a helmet and you can often get them replaced after accidents for much less than a new one. Every company is different and has different policies. I worked at a tack shop and many people just don't know and don't tell you since they'd rather you buy new again. It's the manufacturer that makes the offers.