The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

LTJ - sent you some emails today, sorry so late!
    You will laugh, but we totally have a house in Charleston SC as well

Well, my family, not me of course!

Charleston is where I vacation every year, I looooove it. Easy peasy drive from SP, about 3 hours 20 mins, and all highway. Superduper easy!

oh, and I don't know if the perma-locals will agree, but my horse drinks LOADS more water when he's in the sandhills. I always assumed it is because of the sand. I feed flax and sandclear every once in a while just in case though

Love To Jump - I hear ya, the temps aren't getting above 15 degrees for the rest of the week here.... I can't wait to head south!
    53 - Yes! I think a COTH 'welcome to SP' dinner is in order!
    Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it; Boldness has genius, magic, and power in it ~ Goethe

Default Temps

It may go down to the single digits here tonight as well as perhaps low teens tomorrow night.. in the three years, we have been down here, this would be about the coldest.. but then we came from Kansas and my pony knows about some cold.. he just grew a thicker coat this year. Hopefully, we will be in a warming trend by the time you start down here.

Cool That's pretty nippy

Yes, I saw the forecast for 13 degrees tomorrow night. That is wicked cold for you guys! I have to admit that even though it is considerably warmer than it is here, I would be disappointed if it didn't warm up to at least the 40's.

So, you folks that come down to Southern Pines for Winter training. What do you do at night? I figure as long as the sun is shining I can watch lessons, ride, play with my horse, etc. But, I have no idea what I will do when the sun goes down.

I assume there are many tack stores in the area. Is there one that rents dvd's?

For those of us who don't have a group to be with, maybe we should start a game night or ??

I hate to break it to you but Southern Pines does not really have a night life. Yes you can go to the local bar or a nice cozy place to eat but that's about it! There is one tack shop in town and that's about it. So while there are fabulous trainers here, great footing and places to ride you won't find much else for nighttime entertainment other than hanging out with friends!
    Amy
    Last edited by jumpxc; Jan. 16, 2009 at 02:27 PM.

if you're looking for a night life, Fayetteville is only 1/2 hour away, and we have a pretty, um, active nightlife. I'm sure those young, available military Joes would LOVE to meet you...
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Red face Oh....errr...I wasn't very clear.

Quote Originally Posted by eventer_mi View Post
    if you're looking for a night life, Fayetteville is only 1/2 hour away, and we have a pretty, um, active nightlife. I'm sure those young, available military Joes would LOVE to meet you...
    Oh my...I am an old married woman! That was not the kind of night life that I was interested in.

I was thinking more along the lines of a horsey book club night or something like that. I know there are a lot of people that train in winter and don't reside there full time. I need to be much more specific in my posts.

LTJ

You have a PM

LovetoJump - my personal idea of night life when in Southern Pines is finding somewhere to get super yummy food and a glass of wine.....and we talk horse non-stop....how does that sound? :-)

I'm losing track of who will be where when, I'll be down the 20th through 25th if anyone Permanent/Transient/Other would like to get together, we usually end up downtown every night because we're too tired to cook ~ plus, I travel in from a cultural abyss and LOVE the good food.

Just let me know where and when!

The other drivers' insurance co is dragging their feet. I'd be down there sooner if I could find a way to get my horse from Near Asheville to SP. Anyone know of a good shipper? The insurance co. ought to pay for it.

I'm in....

LTJ - how funny! I guess what 53 described is more on the lines of what we usually do.... so if you're in for that, I'm definitely in!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

UNCEventer: sent you a PM!

Default I'm Here!

I finally made it. 19 hours pulling the trailer with two dogs (who don't like car rides). I was told it was 16 hours. We did get lost two times and had a road closure one time. But, the important thing is that we are here.

I would love to meet up with everyone. Dinner or lunch or a drink or ???

How do we get everyone together?

Looking forward to meeting you!!

She really is here and I have already met her!

Come out to the park this weekend for the Winter Wednesday - now Stay Warm Saturday!

Early part of next week works for me. . .

Same for me! AM going to try to help a bit with the CHP cleanup-after I ride Sam. Just let me know where and what time!

I am finally here as well. My horse is here, hoping to find someone to lease him. He is on the giveaway forums looking for a free leaser.

We are at MileAway- I would love to see some of you guys! I do not have consistent access to internet, so hopefully I can check it enough to see where and when everyone is meeting.