The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Question A few questions...

You guys have been so extremely helpful already, I thought I would ask you another question.

Do I need to think about Sand Clear or something before we come to NC from WI? I want to make sure I do everything that I should do before making the trip. Any advice/recommendations are appreciated!

I still can't believe we are actually going to Southern Pines!!!! My Secret Santa gave me some awesome short sleeve shirts and I cannot wait to wear them in a month!!!!

Umm...LovetoJump - So. Pine is defnitely warmer than what you're used to, but in February, it can be chilly. So, bring layers! You might not get a chance to wear your short sleeved shirts, but you probably won't have to dress in down.

So, give us a heads-up when you're on your way down here, and we'll get-together at Ashten's. There's something for everybody there!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by eventer_mi View Post
    Umm...LovetoJump - So. Pine is defnitely warmer than what you're used to, but in February, it can be chilly. So, bring layers! You might not get a chance to wear your short sleeved shirts, but you probably won't have to dress in down.

So, give us a heads-up when you're on your way down here, and we'll get-together at Ashten's. There's something for everybody there!
    Oh, eventer_mi you are funny. I know the affect that weather has on you is dependent upon what you are used to. When I was in high school (long, long time ago) we had gym uniforms that consisted of shorts and a t-shirt. The rule was that we would do outside activities as long as it was at least 49 degrees outside. 62 was probably bikini weather

I cannot wait to get there!

I'm leaving tomorrow to go to SP- if its not pouring rain. (I have too much stuff that will get wet in the back of my truck).

I will be at MileAway Farm. I am very excited. Hope to run into some of you while I am there.

I moved from Chicago, IL to So. Pines, NC about two years ago and I LOVE it here!! I really don't miss anything about Illinois... is that bad?? Not only do you have the Carolina Horse Park nearby (with a ton of events, xc schoolings, schooling shows, etc.) but there are a ton of trainers here as well!! Make sure you hack around the Foundation (but probably with someone who knows their way around because it is VERY big!!) at some point because it is beautiful.

Ashtens, Corfu, Bell Tree, etc. are all in town and are very yummy!!

UNCEventer: I heard you are with Cherie again this year... how exciting!! Make sure you stop by the tack shop and say "hey" to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 53 View Post
    pegasusmom - no way, a discount at ashtons??? eventrider keeps telling me about the ghost burger but I always get distracted by the specials....maybe if I go more often right?

Margaret - turn your FoP card over and look on the back!!

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    Margaret - turn your FoP card over and look on the back!!
    What is an FoP card?

Default Someone must be going that way...

Isn't there anyone in the midwest that is heading towards the Carolinas or Florida?

Well, on my way to SP with my horse, someone hit both my truck and my trailer. My truck was able to be driven away... the trailer had to be towed. Thank god my horse and I were OK. A really nice young man stopped, picked up the pieces of the trailer and offered to take my horse to his barn. THANK GOD.

So it will be a little longer until I try to make the trip again.... yucky accidents....

Glad you two are OK!

Quote Originally Posted by UNCeventer View Post
    Well, on my way to SP with my horse, someone hit both my truck and my trailer. My truck was able to be driven away... the trailer had to be towed. Thank god my horse and I were OK. A really nice young man stopped, picked up the pieces of the trailer and offered to take my horse to his barn. THANK GOD.

So it will be a little longer until I try to make the trip again.... yucky accidents....
    I am so happy that you are all o.k.!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by UNCeventer View Post

I glad you and your horse are ok!

Yeah it was really scary-
    I couldnt stop shaking and crying! I just hope that no one else has to go through that.

shameless bump

I am getting desperate.

Bumping for a friend

Talking YEAH....It's working out!!

I have great news!! My trainer is going to ride down with me. She needs to look for a horse for a client, and I am bringing one of her young horses to leave with a trainer down there. Of course, I shouldn't jinx myself. The client hasn't committed 100%.

Now, it is REAL! I can hardly believe it. The windchill is 40 below today. But, that is o.k., I am heading South in a little over two weeks!!! YIPPEE!!!

I still am waiting on advice regarding Sand Clear. Is that something that I should give my boy before I come down there?

I will be arriving the week-end of January 30th.

What evening would work for our dinner get-together? Any evening after Tuesday would work great for me. I am so excited about meeting everyone! You guys have been just fabulous!!!!!!

Have a great, warm, sunny day!! Kathy

Default Sand Clear

As far as I know, Sand Clear isn't something that would hurt to give if your horse doesn't need it. Having never been to Wisconsin, I have no idea the type of soil that you deal with either.

I live very near the coast in SC, and our soil is EXTREMELY sandy (Sudi says it's great for rolling!). When he first moved here from Missouri, I had him on Sand Clear, but then eventually just moved him to a beetpulp based feed (Triple Crown Senior), and that seems to take care of him just fine (although he's never had an issue with the sand really). He is, however, a Fantastic drinker too - so I'm sure that helps.

Sorry that's not more help!! If it were my horse, I wouldn't worry about it till I got there. Once at the farm, check out the environment, keep an eye on your horse, do some fecal sample tests, and then you should at least have an idea of how to progress on that end.

Sudis Girl: Thank you. I ordered SandClear today. It certainly can't hurt. Oreo eats everything in sight. I am sure he will eat grass-roots and all while there. We haven't seen grass in a while and it will be another 4 months until we do.

I am planning a day trip to the Charleston area while I am there. I have always wanted to see it. Perhaps we could meet up while I am in town!

Great! I've PM'd you all my info - I hope you make it!!
    Safe travels!