The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Contendro 1...what kind of movers does he produce?

I have seen a few from him who have lovely trots and good gaits overall...some that were definately suited to dressage. What does he tend to throw in terms of gaits?

Thanks!
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

The ones I've seen had mostly above average trot and good canters. The walk was sometimes a weak point. You can see a videoclip of our 2005 Contendro-Falkland colt here

http://www.germanhorseconnection.com.../details/01676

It'll be interesting to see how the ratio works out in the future re. dressage vs. jumping ability. I think the boy is at this time underrated for dressage potential and maybe a bit overrated in the jumping dep.
    Virtually all progeny I have seen over fences was extremely attractive but the manner fell apart with increasing height. While I also understand about C. having a very busy breeding life I would have wished for a longer career under saddle too.
    I like his heritance a lot overall.

Kathleen from Sunny Days Farm has a very lovely Contendro mare who seems suited for dressage. I'm sure she could tell you more about her.

The colts I have bred from him, could easily have gone to the dressage ring. Above average trot, great walk (like a hooker), and great great canter. Two are 5 yr olds this year and are prepping for the 5yr old jumpers and the third I lost at a young age. Love, Love the foals I have had by him. Here are a few pictures of one of the colts as a four year old.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ius20lvl43.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ius20lvl42.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...is20lvl204.jpg

Thanks for the info guys!
    Beauitful horses! Does he ever produce anything ugly?
    Eliza, I know of Kathleens mare, she is SO lovely, she is what sparked my
    interest in him (her mare is from a Wenzel bred mare...and so is the mare I am thinking of for him), as well as those pics of CathyKB's horses that she has posted here from time to time. After doing more research, I just found more of them that I like!

I have been thinking of him for my Waldkoenig x Wodka x Der Lowe xx mare. She is longer in frame and tends to throw very tall offspring. She has alot of scope and good technique, from what I have heard, though I breed for dressage and have never seen her through the chute myself. I just have always loved this stallion and I think type wise, they would be a nice cross. She has a fabulous walk and canter as well.

I would basically like to downsize her, add more suspension and roundness to her trot and put a prettier head on her foal. I would be breeding more for dressage, but would prefer if I did not take away from her jumping talent. Does it seem reasonable to use him ..if these are my goals?
    www.svhanoverians.com

Default My mare...

I've been riding a mare for Sylvan Farms that's by Contendro. She has a phenominal walk and trot. Her canter is also amazing but she can be a bit of a noodle in the canter but once she focuses and stays straight it's an extremely quality gait.

I have MANY pix here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/jessica.heidemann/Carley

I went to an inspection and saw a couple Contrendro's, and have seen a couple 'grown-up' Contendro's, and I don't think he will pretty anything up, and when compared to the Escudo I's at the same inspection, the Escudo I's were on average much more elastic & attractive (this is no just my opinion, it was the opinion of the inspectors and a few 'BN' Hannoverian Verband people). The adult Contendro I am most familiar with is an average mover (not a huge step), but has a nice jump. The foals at the inpsection were out of very nice dams (EM/SPS/EMC), I will try to find out their breeding, but I think the mares were part of the AHS Jumper program, not out of dressage bred mares (I think one mare may have been an Accord II mare and I'm not sure of the other..).

I too have seen several Contendro foals at inspections, and they have all been outstanding (call-back ring and Champion). I've also see lots of foal videos from the Elite auctions - and I think Contendro is a real stamper. Dr Christman says Contendro consistently passes on good type (highest Type index of all jumper-bred stallions I believe), good legs and elastic movement. My own Contendro mare (home-bred) is the love of my life - so I'm somewhat biased. Beautiful head, 3 great gaits, and a powerhouse engine. Very athletic. Very brave, involved, sociable temperament, and a horse that loves to move. She was very easy to start, and her trainer said she felt great, with real push from behind. She has given me 2 beautiful fillies as well. I tried twice to rebreed her mom to Contendro (frozen), with no success. The semen is reputed to be very good however (I was just unlucky).

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydays View Post
    I too have seen several Contendro foals at inspections, and they have all been outstanding (call-back ring and Champion). I've also see lots of foal videos from the Elite auctions - and I think Contendro is a real stamper. Dr Christman says Contendro consistently passes on good type (highest Type index of all jumper-bred stallions I believe), good legs and elastic movement. My own Contendro mare (home-bred) is the love of my life - so I'm somewhat biased. Beautiful head, 3 great gaits, and a powerhouse engine. Very athletic. Very brave, involved, sociable temperament, and a horse that loves to move. She was very easy to start, and her trainer said she felt great, with real push from behind. She has given me 2 beautiful fillies as well. I tried twice to rebreed her mom to Contendro (frozen), with no success. The semen is reputed to be very good however (I was just unlucky).
    The semen is excellent. Some of our straws were damaged in shipping and we ended up having only 1/2 dose to breed with. My mare (18 years old) settled and I'm anxiously awaiting that foal (due in March)!

I did use him to "down-size" a larger mare that seemed to otherwise complement him. She is an Elite Westfalen mare (Phantom/Polydor) and is long bodied and 16.3. She also has the ability to throw BIG babies, so we shall see!
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Sunnydays, which of your mares is the dam of your Contendro? Also, how tall is she? I have been a fan of hers for a while.

Kareen,
    Love your colt! I just noticed the video and wow, look at that suspension and push from behind! I have seen another Contendro from a Falkland dam that was quite nice. Interestingly, the mare I am thinking of for him is a Wolfsburg grand daughter as well. Does your colt have better movement than his dam?

Cassys mom, your mare is so nice too. So feminine and again, a beautiful face. Do you know the breeding of the dam?

Sunnydays, Its pretty easy to see why your Contessa is the "love of your life", she IS great! Good to hear as well, the comments from Dr Christman in regards to Contendro's heritability. He sounds like a perfect match for my big girl! (On an interesting note, I was looking at pics of Ester on your website a few days ago and noticed she is the dam of your Autocrat filly...and as you know, he was my choice for this mare as well a few years back )

Hillside,
    You must be pretty excited about your coming foal! Judging by her photo, she looks to be a great match for him.
    www.svhanoverians.com

I honestly can't tell you. I haven't seen him since he moved to Holland after weaning. I do know he popped up at the Westfalian licensing preselections and was accepted but he didn't show up for the main event.
    For comparison you can find videos of Mama and most of his siblings.

http://www.germanhorseconnection.com.../details/00034

Some of them have video too

I have a Contendro/Escudo mare I just adore, EM Cotton Eye Jane. She is just beautiful, have three nice gaits and a great jump. She also has a superb temperament. Everyone who sees her or rides her falls in love. So I am a bit biased, as well, but in my isolated experience I am very happy. Her Cassini II colt was site champion for his inspection. As for type of mover, she has a nice walk, very nice springy canter, and above average trot. I feel that she is more of a hunter type mover, but have worked with a German dressage trainer who thinks she is nice enough for straight dressage. She is not very big, about 15.3h or so. Couple pics on my website.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Donella - the dam side of the Contendro mare that Casi's Mom rides is Fabriano/Lemon Park/Trapper. She brings some blood in on the dam's side. She scored a 7.86 in her MPT. I also have another Contendro filly that is Servus/Cardinal xx on the dam's side. She is very elastic in her movements with lots of suspension. However, she is quite small and I keep hoping she will reach 16 h. She has a very good mother-line so we may breed her this year, to see what she produces.
    Judy
    Sylvan Farm~Breeding for Performance
    Ramzes SF, approved GOV and Belgian http://sylvanfarm.com
    USSHBA Steering Committe member

Quote Originally Posted by Home Again Farm View Post
    Sunnydays, which of your mares is the dam of your Contendro? Also, how tall is she? I have been a fan of hers for a while.
    SPS Ester (Eiger / Wenzel) is Contessa's mother. She was pregnant with Don Frederico when I purchased her in Germany, and the foal (too large) strangled during birthing, so I wanted to try a smaller stallion on the breed-back. Contessa is actually about 1" smaller than Ester (16h on a tall day), whereas Ester's Fabuleux and Autocrat babies appear to be finishing 17h and 16.2 - so Contendro downsized a bit. As I said, I tried Ester with frozen Contendro semen after Tess was born in Canada - no luck. Ester is a good mover; Contessa is better.

This is my Contessa at two (taken Jan 3rd, so the footing is HOLY FROZEN TUNDRA, BATMAN). She is Contendro/Voltaire/Nimmerdor. She was the filly champion of her GOV inspection in 06.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgHhkxzFtVs
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Does anyone know about the size he is throwing. I know he is not very large. My mare is correct and very nice but she is 16 hands. I have tried to breed her to larger stallions and it has worked out well. I love the type with her but am not sure due to height. Also the mare is a little thick in the throat latch so I always watch that area. Does any one know about contendro's throat latch. He doesnt appear to be thick but it is hard to tell?Thanks.
    Saddle Brook Farm
    Breeding Performance
    http://www.hunterjumperprospects.com

Quote Originally Posted by alison123 View Post
    Does anyone know about the size he is throwing. I know he is not very large. My mare is correct and very nice but she is 16 hands. I have tried to breed her to larger stallions and it has worked out well. I love the type with her but am not sure due to height. Also the mare is a little thick in the throat latch so I always watch that area. Does any one know about contendro's throat latch. He doesnt appear to be thick but it is hard to tell?Thanks.

Contendro is not known to throw large; pretty much the opposite. I can't speak to mature height, as my Contendro filly is a 2009 model. However, I used him because my mare is a longer-lined, bigger bodied 16.3. I would say that the filly is going to be a bit smaller than the mare, and she is definitely a bit smaller than her 1/2 sister was at the same age (by Indoctro). Type was definitely improved in my filly, and the head and neck (including the throatlatch) are beautiful. The mare has a good neck, but Contendro definitely improved the head.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

My 2006 Contendro/Voltaire was presented for her mare approval this month. She is 17 hands at just over 36 months. She was high scoring mare with an overall 7.0 including a 9.0 on her WALK!
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

what i have seen from him has always been of high quality, slightly modern, refined type but varying gaits. his first foals should really have started to turn up at the top of the jumping sport by now if they were going to, but we're still looking for them....

his mother, bravo, has three other approved sons. i really liked cassito by cassiano for jump. a great family.