The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default JSwan was right. The HSUS sux.

And it think I threw up a little in my mouth. They rescued animals just long enough to get the headlines and then left the animals to die. Including two very old horses.

Uh, um, link or something??

my blog

so it's a bit more complicated than that .. http://www.news-journalonline.com/Ne...FLAG123008.htm

Quote Originally Posted by RainyDayRide View Post
    so it's a bit more complicated than that .. http://www.news-journalonline.com/Ne...FLAG123008.htm
    That's the article I posted. There have been many since Nov. . but it went form Oh no its awful to lets help! to eh, it was no big, deal we're out of hear. Mainly because the HSUS had promised to fund the whole operation. One weeks pay and they left. They left the local HS deeply in debt.

It is more complicated, but that was the reason the local HS acted. But that is he last article in the chain until tomorrow.

Now they person with custody has the animals but will be banned from being around animals. They can't leave, she can't stay. Nobody else wants that life.

HSUS is good at making headlines. They come in, make headlines, get donations, and then leave. Someone else gets to clean up the mess.

If you want to read horror stories about HSUS, you can search the archives and see if anything is still there from Katrina. There was a neat lady who was helping with the horses down there and showed up pictures of what HSUS was "doing". Throwing brand new crates in dumpsters and refusing to give them to rescuers, tons of donated dog food going to waste..... but they were always ready for a photo op or interview.

It's shameful. Ask any dog rescuer who worked on Katrina, or any local folks who worked on the Michael Vick case here. You'll really be sickened.

They have a great website and are fabulous fund raisers, and their marketing is top rate. Actually doing what they say they're doing? Not so much.

Keep your money local, donate to people like Lori and other well run ethical rescues. Support good and reasonable legislation. HSUS used to be a great organization but now they're just another Enron.

Isn't the group "United Animal Kingdom" or something like that the one that comes in during natural disasters and helps? And in Katrina, my local vet went down with his van and helped out with the dogs. And my horse importer went over from Florida with his trailer and people and supplies to help with the horses. So Katrina was not just an HSUS endeavor, lots of people helped out.

But as for the pigs, if people would send contributions to the feed store for feed, that would surely help out. That feed store is listed on the newspaper articled that is linked supra.

Well Im afraid last yr I lost all faith in the Humane Society and the aspca and well as the state police.

IN short, I received a hysterical call from one of my daughters. she had just been up to see her dad (my ex) to hear that her dads dogs, one of which was hers, had been killed by the neighbor with a pitchfork, yes a pitchfork. He admittedly forked them until they were finally relieved by death. Now I figured since this was such a horrible act that someone would respond. I called the Humane S which said call the police. I called them and they called back and took a report. ASked me if I realized what a lawless, take matters into your own hand type of area that was. I said that I was quite aware of what went on up on htat mountain and I didn't care, that a dog had a right to not be treated as such. They went up there (four of them) and spoke to all involved. The dogs had done nothing wrong. There is a long time feud going on between many neighbors up there. HE did this out of hate for my ex and no other reason. Ex would not press charges as he said it would make the whole situation worse. That was that, the end. The state did not press charges. This nut has since killed another neighbors hogs and who knows what else. HE brags about killing the dogs to anyone who will listen.
    A dog in another area had just been on the news as some teen had sodomized it and broke its spine, that dog must have mattered more as the teen was charged and jailed, the dog had to be pts. Why did these two dogs not matter? I still think about those two dogs all the time, it bothers me to no end. It should not matter what the circumstances are or who is involved, the dogs lifes should have mattered, something should have been done. All I got out of the Humane Society was that it wasn't an issue that they could handle and passed it off to another. Not impressed with them at all. And it makes me very angry that that area has always been left alone by the police, and ppl up there can more or less do as they want, including doing something that horrific to an animal. They lost my support. The picture I get of those two dogs going through that is something that will never leave my mind.
    Last edited by WaningMoon; Jan. 7, 2009 at 10:57 AM. Reason: added word call in second sentence

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    HSUS is good at making headlines. They come in, make headlines, get donations, and then leave. Someone else gets to clean up the mess.

If you want to read horror stories about HSUS, you can search the archives and see if anything is still there from Katrina. There was a neat lady who was helping with the horses down there and showed up pictures of what HSUS was "doing". Throwing brand new crates in dumpsters and refusing to give them to rescuers, tons of donated dog food going to waste..... but they were always ready for a photo op or interview.

It's shameful. Ask any dog rescuer who worked on Katrina, or any local folks who worked on the Michael Vick case here. You'll really be sickened.

They have a great website and are fabulous fund raisers, and their marketing is top rate. Actually doing what they say they're doing? Not so much.

Keep your money local, donate to people like Lori and other well run ethical rescues. Support good and reasonable legislation. HSUS used to be a great organization but now they're just another Enron.
    Yep. That's exactly what they did. And bankrupted the local HS in the process after they lied to them and promised to pay all expenses. Grab the headline, move on and make sure the animals are dead. I give up. I do donate to Lori, but people like Lori can't do it alone and they have to compete with the HSUS for the same $$$$$.

I have defended them in the past, but this was just wrong. The local HS didn't even see a bad problem and the HSUS orchestrated the whole thing as a way to get a headline. They put the local HS up to it, promised unlimited funding, lied about having to file "charges" in order to get funds and vanished.

HS of US cause its all about them. Its not about saving any animals. Shame

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Isn't the group "United Animal Kingdom" or something like that the one that comes in during natural disasters and helps? And in Katrina, my local vet went down with his van and helped out with the dogs. And my horse importer went over from Florida with his trailer and people and supplies to help with the horses. So Katrina was not just an HSUS endeavor, lots of people helped out.

But as for the pigs, if people would send contributions to the feed store for feed, that would surely help out. That feed store is listed on the newspaper articled that is linked supra.
    How will it help out? The states attorney asked for the owner to not be allowed near animals. If she loses in court she can't fed them anyway. Nobody else wants to. Its a full time job for 3 people.

The horses are 27 and 25. I guess they can leave the farm, but who in FL wants some old Appys? That's one of the states that has too many free horses as it is.

I remember picking that mare up as a 6 mo old in MD in the early 80's. The man was selling about 20 babies for $50 a piece. She was not halter broke and damn near killed the poor Vet helping us try and load her. The man selling said they had to be gone that day or he was killing them all. We had to get her out of there and she was a wild child!

Um, everyone needs to realize that HSUS is not the same as your local Humane Society, which is also different in many areas from Animal Control.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    Um, everyone needs to realize that HSUS is not the same as your local Humane Society, which is also different in many areas from Animal Control.

THANK YOU!

Whether you have a problem with one or the other, don't drag the other down. The HSUS has nothing to do with local humane societies. They do not regulate them. Similarly, your local humane society doesn't answer to or necessarily agree with everything The HSUS says/does. PLEASE bother to do research before you post such harsh accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by WaningMoon View Post
    HE did this out of hate for my ex and no other reason. Ex would not press charges as he said it would make the whole situation worse. That was that, the end. The state did not press charges.
    So what was the humane society or spca supposed to do about it, exactly? Your ex didn't want to press charges so the state didn't. How is that the humane society's fault?
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

And Ambrey made another excellent point - a lot of people want to point fingers at their local humane socities, rescue groups, or even the ASPCA and HSUS but the reality is none of these orgs have the right to take action such as seizing animals. That is up to the ACO or other local law enforcement. A member of the FHS going in and taking a horse (even if the horse is in need) w/o the assistance of local law is the same as if Joe Schmo or any of us were to go in there and take the horse. It's opening themselves to a tremendous law suit.

A lot of time these orgs get flack for "not taking action" when really, their hands are tied. Legally, they can't do anything sometimes, unless ACO or the sheriff is willing to authorize it. I am not saying this is the case here, I'm just asking that people educate themselves before jumping the gun and blaming left and right.

Yep. In our area, the Humane Society is a contribution-funded organization that helps homeless animals and animals in need. It has no legal authority or jurisdiction to do ANYTHING about abused animals.

And it also is unattached to the HSUS.

Quote Originally Posted by horsecrazy View Post
    THANK YOU!

Whether you have a problem with one or the other, don't drag the other down. The HSUS has nothing to do with local humane societies. They do not regulate them. Similarly, your local humane society doesn't answer to or necessarily agree with everything The HSUS says/does. PLEASE bother to do research before you post such harsh accusations.
    In this case the HSUS WAS the problem. They lied to the local HS too and almost bankrupted them when they ran. I am not confusing the 2. They came in, got their headline, and left a mess for the locals to deal with.

Stories like this are to warn local HS and rescues about the HSUS too. The whole point was that with feed prices so high the best thing to do was take the help of the HSUS to pay for all the care of the sanctuary animals. The HSUS said they could not release funds unless someone was charged with something, but that the charges would be meaningless. It was "just a formality and paperwork".

Then they made things sound 1000 times worse then they were, grabbed the headline and left the local HS looking like jerks if they gave the animals back. The local HS had guts and gave them back anyway.

But the charges were not dropped so now its impossible to care for the animals at all. All thanks to the HSUS. The big fat liars.

The local HS will be hurt by this too. Half the people who read those headlines are mad they gave the animals back and will no longer donate $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by equinelaw View Post
    In this case the HSUS WAS the problem. They lied to the local HS too and almost bankrupted them when they ran. I am not confusing the 2. They came in, got their headline, and left a mess for the locals to deal with.

Stories like this are to warn local HS and rescues about the HSUS too. The whole point was that with feed prices so high the best thing to do was take the help of the HSUS to pay for all the care of the sanctuary animals. The HSUS said they could not release funds unless someone was charged with something, but that the charges would be meaningless. It was "just a formality and paperwork".

Then they made things sound 1000 times worse then they were, grabbed the headline and left the local HS looking like jerks if they gave the animals back. The local HS had guts and gave them back anyway.

But the charges were not dropped so now its impossible to care for the animals at all. All thanks to the HSUS. The big fat liars.

The local HS will be hurt by this too. Half the people who read those headlines are mad they gave the animals back and will no longer donate $$$.

Well then enlighten me, since I don't see much of an explanation in the article. What exactly did HSUS promise to do? Did they say they were going to donate money, or did everyone assume that if the pigs were seized that they would?

From what I've seen, HSUS focuses their time and money on larger issues (animal welfare - for instance they had a big push to pass Prop 2 for farm animals in CA), and not so much specific instances of animal cruelty and neglect, like this case. If they jumped in and gave $ everytime there was a specific animal neglect or cruelty case, pretty sure they would run out of money fast. Not saying this is "right" or "wrong," just saying what I have seen and that's pretty consistent with what's going on here (why it doesn't surprise me that The HSUS isn't financially stepping in with this particular case).

I did a little party for them, worked with them in DC and became very disappointed in them and now totally disrespect this organization and Wayne Pacelle and the HSUS legislative branch. They are just not worth anything in my opinion. They have the name, they should stand aside and let this political and partisan organization be taken over by someone decent and honorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan P View Post
    I did a little party for them, worked with them in DC and became very disappointed in them and now totally disrespect this organization and Wayne Pacelle and the HSUS legislative branch. They are just not worth anything in my opinion. They have the name, they should stand aside and let this political and partisan organization be taken over by someone decent and honorable.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by horsecrazy View Post
    If they jumped in and gave $ everytime there was a specific animal neglect or cruelty case, pretty sure they would run out of money fast.
    seeing as I believe when I looked them up recently, my recollection (which could be faulty) is that HSUS had something like $225 million in assets and some huge hunk of that ($80+ million sticks in my mind) sitting in investments that was never touched for operating expenses or any other purpose other than collecting interest, it would take a good long time and save a lot of animals before they went bankrupt and IMVHO it would actually positively effect/help more animals than their political and litigation agenda does. What kills me about HSUS is it seems 99.9% of people think they support local animal shelters and actual animal rescue and give money to them based on that misconception- drives me batty. At least PETA is open about its agenda and purpose.
    Last edited by bambam; Jan. 7, 2009 at 11:52 PM.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)