The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation 2 Day Leslie Law Clinic in NC

I just wanted to let everyone know about this clinic that has just been finalized in Area II (additional information found at www. ncdcta. org) :

2 Day Leslie Law Clinic
    Featuring an Evening Lecture/Riding Demonstration‡
    At Carolina Horse Park, Raeford, NC
    February 23rd and 24th 2009

Leslie is the Athens Olympics Three Day Eventing individual champion and team silver medalist. His successes include team silver in Sydney 2000, European team gold in 2001 and 2003 and World team bronze in 2002. Join us in a 2 Day clinic with Leslie Law down in Raeford/Southern Pines, NC at the renowned Carolina Horse Park and Tamarack Hills Farm. Small groups will ride for 1.5 2 hrs; SJ on Monday and XC on Tuesday.

FEES: $200/NCDCTA member; $250 Non-NCDCTA member. Auditors: FREE to all NCDCTA members, $50 Auditing fee for all others (includes 2 day clinic and Lecture/Demo). Stabling available for $20/night (please include refundable $20 muck deposit). Raffle tickets $20/horse. Entry is non-refundable unless filled from wait list.

‡Lecture Demonstration
    On Monday evening, from 6pm to 9pm, Leslie will perform a Lecture Demonstration. During the demonstration, Leslie will ride horses that are provided to him and will talk his way through his ride to explain how he deals with the specific horse, how he is riding it, and what his plan would be in training the horses. Three horses will be drawn from a raffle for Leslie to ride. One horse will be a younger horse, one an intermediate horse, and one a quite experienced horse. Raffle tickets will be sold for $20 to add your horse’s name to the pot. Drawings will be held February 16th.

******Clip and Mail with checks payable to NCDCTA: Anita Quinn 750 Cokesbury Rd., Fuquay Varina, NC 27526******
    Horse _____________________ Rider ___________________________________________
    Address __________________________________________________ _________________________
    Level Competing __________________ NCDCTA #__________ Phone # ______________
    Email ____________________________ Stabling Nights Needed __________________

Lecture/Demonstration Raffle: (fill in above plus below)
    Level (circle one): Inexperienced O/F (Pre-BN) Intermediate O/F (BN-T) Experienced O/F (P and above)

THESE ENTRIES ARE MADE AT MY OWN RISK: Under N.C. law, an equine activity sponsor or equine professional is not liable fo ran injury to or the death of a participant, resulting from the inherent risk of equine activity (NC statute 99E; SC Art. 7, Ch. 9-47). I agree that NCDCTA, organizers, Carolina Horse Park, Tamarack Hill Farm, their staff and employees will not be held responsible for any accident or loss which may occur to an exhibitor, spectator, guest, rider, groom, attendant or other employee, animal or equipment resulting from any of the inherent risks of equine activities.

Signed __________________________________________________ ______ (Parent or Guardian if rider is under 18).
    Do what you like and like what you do!

Bump, and a query... I have only seen Leslie ride at 4* events on 4* horses :-) so is anyone familiar with what kind of rider he is? (with ref. to the raffle thing, which is kind of a cool idea)

Jennifer

We've done lots of clinics and series of lessons with Leslie here in Maryland over the last few years, and it is really a treat to see him get on your horse, regardless of how green or bratty it is, and then work through the issues you might be having. He has quite a track record with the young horses he has imported and brought along, and I find his experience and solid, classical approach invaluable. I don't think I've seen any horses he hasn't gotten along with. I've learned a ton from him over the last few years.

Ditto
    Leslie has helped me tremendously and I love watching him ride my greenie! He is a beautiful rider!
    Winfield Farm
    Karrera "Zoee" ~ Redshift "Orion" ~ Inquisitive "Q" ~ No Doubts "Lady"
    I Paid For My Vet's New Truck Clique

I rode in a clinic with him last June, it was fantastic! Loved every second. He has perfect timing both as a rider and an instructor. He says or does the one thing that gets your attention right as you are about to screw up, so that you get it right so you learn the feeling of "right" and can repeat it on your own the next time.

A young OTTB in my stadium session was very fresh (it was his first non-track outing), so Leslie got on. The rest of us were warming up, and watching him at the same time. Gradually, we all gravitated towards the center of the arena, parked ourselves and just watched, mesmerized. My impression is that he is subtle, but very clear and consistent. It was a real treat to watch.

Saw his stadium rounds at Richland last year-beautiful rider.

Agree with all the above comments. Very informative, interesting, and fun to watch him ride everything from the greenies to the been there, done thats.

I am sooo bummed that it's on weekdays! I would have loved to audit!

Default Lecture/Demo

Piaffe..you'll need to come to the Monday evening Lecture/Demo then. I know, I was bummed that I couldn't get him on a weekend, however, he is competing EVERY weekend of February and March! I had to either get him during the week (and hope that those that wanted to participate could possibly...um...call in "sick"?!?) or I would have had to go with a different clinician. And like others, I've heard such fabulous things about him that I thought it was worth putting him during the week as opposed to not getting him at all.

Anita

If I just wanted to come for the Monday evening? What would the cost be-I'm not a member of NCDCTA.

I went and looked at your website Displaced Yank and I saw that you had a horse named Conner on there. I am pretty sure he was at Caroline Dowd's for awhile? How is he doing?
    Last edited by piaffequeen; Jan. 9, 2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: forgot something!

Piaffe...yes, you can just come for the Monday evening Lecture/Demo. That runs at Denny's place, Tamarack Hill Farm, in his indoor from 6pm until 9pm (Leslie will be riding 3 horses, basically an hour each). He'll be wearing a microphone while he is riding and will talk through his training rides on each horse to the audience. For $20, you can also enter your horse in the raffle to be one of the horse's Leslie rides. I'm quite excited about that. Anyway, the cost to audit any part of the clinic is $50, but I'll give you a hint. If you join NCDCTA, auditing is free. Membership is $47, so if you want to save $3 and get some additional perks, I'd just recommend joining. http://www(.)ncdcta.org/pdf_forms/2009Membership(.)pdf

Yes, Connor is at my place and is doing very well. Same horse. We just took him out to a schooling dressage show last month and his owner was very pleased when we came back with a 27% We'll bring him out at a few schooling shows and then he's going to make his re-debut to eventing at SPHT. (All fingers crossed we stay healthy and sound of course.) His new owner just adores him, so here's hoping he found a home for life. (I love happy endings. *LOL*)

Anita

Thanks-think I will come just for the lecture-as far as the raffle goes-my horse is 25 years old-semi retired and all we do is lower level dressage and trail riding-I don't think Sam would appreciate it although he did compete through Prelim! He is very happy living the semi retired life

I'll have to tell Caroline about Connor finding a great home. She really liked him alot. She will be really happy for the owner!

Just a quick question about the entry: If I send it in and the clinic is full (BTW, is it?), will the check be torn up?

Also, do I need to send a separate check for the raffle ticket?

Coopers mom...no, the clinic is not filled yet, but entries are coming in quick. If you know you'd like to enter, I wouldn't wait too long to send it in. (You can just email me and I can attach an entry form for you to make it easier). If the clinic does fill, then yes, I will rip up the checks that is submitted for anyone that does not make it in. (or run off to the latest Canter cutie website....just kidding). You can write just one check if you are interested in both the clinic and the raffle and don't want to do the raffle w/o getting into the clinic. If the clinic should fill before getting your entry form and you'd still like to enter the raffle, then go ahead and send two seperate checks and a note saying that's what you'd like to do. That way I could just rip up one check and then cash the other.

But as of now, there are still openings.

Edited to say, is that clear as mud or what?!?! Geesh. Let me know if you have any specific questions, I think I made that more convoluted than it needed to be. *LOL*
    Last edited by displacedyank; Jan. 12, 2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Not sure if it makes sense. LOL

K, I sent mine in today! Soooo excited!!

And don't go running off to look at Canter cuties without me!