The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What should always be kept in a trailer?

We brought home our new-to-us trailer today!

I want to start ordering things for it before we start putting mileage on it in march/april. So, what things should I keep in the dressing room for emergencies?

It came with one of the yellow trailer aid things - so we've got one item covered.

What else?
    BDC

Fire extinguisher, 4 way lug wrench that fits the trailer (be sure to check), a couple pairs of heavy duty work gloves, some Fixaflat, human and equine first aid supplies (basic stuff to tide you over, incl "feminine" stuff), road flares, a flashlight with some extra batteries, extra fuses and light bulbs for the trailer, a copy of your horses current insurance policy if he's insured, always travel with extra water for your horse in case you breakdown or whatever. You might also want to pack a small box of emergency food for yourself in your trailer, like granola bars, chips, little stuff like that in case you get stuck at roadside somewhere. I usually have a cooler when I'm off with the horses, but you never know.
    I have a small compressor that I can plug into my trucks cig lighter to pump up a low tire, and I have a hydraulic jack for the truck in addition to my jiffy jack for the trailer.
    I also put together a small tool box for my trailer and I keep a couple of pairs of pantyhose in there. You can make a belt for your truck in an emergency with pantyhose. It won't get you very far, but it can get you to a gas station off the interstate and to safety. I also have a couple of extra hoses for my truck in there. Have never had to use them, so I always keep them in there. the one time they aren't there............
    And in my little box with the info about the horses and so on, I havea copy of our current hunt roster and also a list of people I can call that can come get me/my trailer/my horses if there is an emergency.
    I also suggest a membership to US Rider if you don't already have one.
    www.usrider.org
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Keep a tire wrench thing too, the trailer aid doesn't help too much when you have nothing to get the tire off with...

Of course broom and pitchfork.

Spare halter, shank, and or rope.

I also keep a minor tool kit- it has twine, scissors, bungee cords, box cutter type knife, snaps, duck tape!! You never know when you might need this stuff!

First aid kit for the horses- Saline, peroxide, alcohol, TAO, vetrap. Set of polos and standing wraps and bandages. There is more stuff in it, I just can't remember all of it.

US Rider has a good list on their site. I used that and just made some minor add or subtract as I saw fit for my needs.

I am crossing my fingers and toes I can talk DH into a new (or newer!) trailer sometime soon...no dressing room stinks!!

I also have to second the US Rider membership, peace of mind is priceless!!

Thanks alot! I will start shopping!
    Anyone else with other suggestions?
    BDC

Default Cell phone car adapter

Wife & I have the same type cell phone. There is a car adapter in every vehicle in the family. (2 cars & the truck)

Can't call for help if you have a dead cell phone battery.

I would add a tarp so that when you have to crawl under the trailer in the mud to find out whey the lights aren't working you can stay a bit dry (things under the trailer only break when it's raining). Tarps are handy for all kinds of other stuff too.

I printed up an emergency contact sheet, put it in a big zip-lock bag and taped it to the wall of the trailer's dressing room. It has my name, address and phone number, name and number of my vet, emergency contact names and numbers, plus signed authorization for emergency care for the horses if I'm incapacitated from an accident.

Thanks again!

Question- What do you keep all of the tool type things in? The only thing I can think of is getting a rubbermaid container and sticking it under the saddle racks - use some normally wasted space.
    BDC

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

A GOOD knife, big enough/sharp enough to cut through your lead ropes, ties and halters, NOT in a hard to get place. I often move it to the bed of the PU, just behind the cab when travelling, but it lives in the trailer.

I always keep a set of stuff IN the trailer so I have very little packing to do for shows/lessons... but also some of it is for emergencies, i.e. a couple sets of polos, a set of wraps, extra bridle/reins/stirrup leathers/girth/halter/lead... common first aid stuff you wouldn't find in a kit like corona, tea tree oil, a squeeze bottle of saline. Clean towels.

I like to keep a roll of paper towels and a thing of baby-wipes always in the trailer.

I always have at least an extra sheet and/or blanket...

I keep a seperate, clean grooming kit. I keep a helmet (my 'clinic' helmet) in there.

Sounds like a lot, it's not. One tack box (the one from Home Depot I found out about here!) carefully packed. I've often been able to lend a bridle or girth or such... and so far <knocking wood madly> not forgotten anything crucial.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    Sounds like a lot, it's not. One tack box (the one from Home Depot I found out about here!) carefully packed. I've often been able to lend a bridle or girth or such... and so far <knocking wood madly> not forgotten anything crucial.
    Do you have a link for this box??? I'm very interested if it can hold all of that stuff
    BDC

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Spare LEATHER halter and good long stout lead rope that you can tie a horse up with. Chain shank as well in case you have to unload on the side of the highway.

First-aid kit for horse and human, including bandages, cottons, a good sharp knife or scissors, triple antibiotic, gloves, vetrap, Ace wrap, hydrogen peroxide or saline. I personally don't carry Banamine at the moment but have been thinking about bringing it along.

Bottled water (for you, for horses, for cleaning wounds.)

Trailer jack, wheel chock, lug wrench, hammer, screwdriver, spare tire in good condition. Check your spare every time you give the trailer a full cleaning out!

WD40, duct tape, and baling twine. (If it moves and it shouldn't, duct tape it. If it doesn't move and it should, WD40. Process greatly improved if swearing is incorporated. Baling twine can temporarily repair halters and can be braided into a lead if you're desperate. Or a belt. Or a rope to tie your top door back when the snap breaks when you're on the highway and starts banging against the trailer.)

Horse cookies, peppermints, grain (check the grain!) for when the trailer is stopped on the side of the road and the horses start to think about getting upset. I find that as long as they're not doing anything dangerous, hopping up into the trailer with them and offering nummies generally distracts them enough for them to relax.

Information (coggins and vaccination records) for every horse in the trailer along with owner's emergency contact information.

The phone numbers of at least two people who are good with trailers. Funny story (well, maybe it's not so funny.) My mother was shipping a horse and a pony back home from a horse show when a trailer tire blew out on I83. She was near a ramp thankfully and got to the side of the road safely. Not only had she not checked her spare tire and it had dry-rotted, but she also had no idea how to change a trailer tire (which I wish I had known beforehand, since I do know). I was her first emergency contact and she couldn't reach me, so she called a friend, who came out and gave Mom her trailer's spare and showed her how to put it on. Thanks to the friend, they got home safely. Without the friend, I suspect that Mom would have read the trailer manual and eventually figured out how to change the tire, but who knows how long it would have taken and what the horses would have done.

USRider. It's like AAA for horses and trailers, except they actually come when they say they will rather than five hours later. We've only had to make the call once, but I really liked that when they answered the phone, we got a live person who said, "This is USRider. Are your horses OK?"
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

We use two muck buckets for our stuff -- it's easier to find things and usually we're in a hurry. We use a small cooler as our bench, and we've strung a lead rope across one wall, to hang extra saddle pads on.

I'm not sure if anyone has said these things yet -- but aside from the usual horsey stuff (first aid, grooming stuff), don't forget a bottle opener, knife, toilet paper, and a bunch of leftover bags from grocery store (for garbage or waste removal). Also a flash light and a box of granola bars stored in a tupperware container (you have no idea how many times we've been thrilled to have them).

We also have "trailer tack" -- stuff we keep on the trailer all the time and don't really use(usually it's old stuff), for emergencies. These include an extra set of reins, a bridle for the two we trailer most, a bit or two, extra lead ropes, two saddle pads, and a fleece cooler.

I'm not sure how we fit everything, but we do!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

I agree re: US Rider. I had Triple A, blew a tire on the highway, and called them. They absolutely would not touch the trailer even though I had 'gold' coverage or whatever they call it. The next day, I purchased US Rider and cancelled TA, and, of course, told them why. US Rider will also cover your car.

Be sure your tire tool fits the lug nuts on your trailer. All tire tools are not the same and do not assume the tire tool that works on your tow vehicle will work on your trailer.
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by mybeau1999 View Post
    Thanks again!

Question- What do you keep all of the tool type things in? The only thing I can think of is getting a rubbermaid container and sticking it under the saddle racks - use some normally wasted space.
    I have a great little wheeled tool trunk that DH found for me at Sears. It's just large enough for a first aid kit, some tools, and spare halters. It also makes a really good mounting block at shows.

Its about the size of a medium size rubbermaid tub, but much sturdier and weatherproof. It even has a removable, handled container that is almost exactly the size of a grooming tote.

ETA: Also.. don't forget to pack some extra bucket hooks.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Don't laugh- a porta potty!! It's come in handy on so many occasions-especially when my girls were little-and it's a heck of a lot cleaner than some gas station restrooms!

TWO Flashlights with extra batteries. (One for you to hold, one for your helper to hold.) One of those "survivor" tools they sell on TV that can break glass with one end and saw through a seatbelt with the other. (If it can saw through a nylon seatbelt, it can go through a leadrope.)

A new, unopened package of nylon or cotton clothesline. Great for emergencies when you need to tie something shut! (Don't get the plastic-coated kind - too hard to tie knots in.) A pair of kitchen scissors (poultry shears are good - they cut anything.)

Two sealed gallon jugs of water. A bottle of ibuprofen (Advil.) Vet wrap. An extra halter/leadrope. A set of nippers and a claw to pull a shoe if necessary. Shovel to remove poop.

Extra, dry, warm socks and a spare set of warm gloves (keep in a ziplock bag so they stay dry.)

Practice changing a tire while you're in your driveway - don't wait to figure it out when you have an actual tire emergency!!!!!!!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I can't stress this enough so I'm saying it again: PRACTICE CHANGING A TIRE IN YOUR DRIVEWAY!!! That way you'll know the exact tools you need and can keep them all together. You don't want to have to figure this out in the dark, in the rain (you KNOW it will be dark and raining!!)

I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Orange safety warning triangles!

Very useful when you have to stop somewhere with low visibility. They make folding ones that don't take up much space.

Good stuff to know I want to get a US Rider policy, have 1 little question: Does it go yearly and renew when you activate/sign up or is it by calendar year?
    Owned by 1 horse, 2 dogs, 2 cats, my 5yo son, a 2yr old cowgirl, and my hubby!
    RIP Traveler <3