The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone else's horse LIKE having mane pulled?

I thought it was something most horses didn't like. I'd never done it before. Pulled a bunch today so I could get some tassels made from it. Besides it was all long and Shetland Pony looking, and now it's all nice and even, though still longer than you would pull to do braids.

But to my surprise my mare didn't mind at all, in fact she helped me pull by leaning against it a little, and she got the wobbly lower lip she gets when she's enjoying herself.

Years ago I boarded her at a dressage barn where they pulled all the horse's manes (I think it was required!!), and I thought I remembered the BM dreading mane pulling because the horses were so fussy about it. Maybe she had bad technique. :P

Mine does.

He's unspeakably weird, but sometimes he uses his weirdness for good instead of evil. This is one of those times.

I thought maybe I'd managed to hypnotize her or something! She's pretty weird horse, too.

I am also a midwesterner in yankee land, btw.

Mine hate it. Some got to toleration point, but it was kind of a teeth-gritting thing. All ours have fairly heavy manes, which made it WORK to me. One mare just got worse as time went along, would not stand, very sensitive horse. She had an especially thick mane, needed a LOT of pulling for good looks. I really felt bad when I got done with her, she had TRIED to be good, hurt too much. Didn't know about or have any of the numbing stuff back then.

So with my hand pain after, horse dancing terribly, we have learned to do mane grooming with scissors, some cutting combs. Might pull a few hairs, but not many. Still takes a while to get them done, but I think the job is pretty equal to a hand-pulled mane thinning.

Best part is usually the horses sleep during the work time. Even Miss Sensitive is non-reactive with scissors, so everything goes fast. No hand pain either. Worth learning how to do it well with the scissors and combs.

My stallion seems to enjoy it for some reason, too. And he's got a double mane for the most part and it's VERY thick. In other words, it's really wild and unmanagable. I think he enjoys it because his best itchy spots are under all that mane on his crest, which is hard to get to through all that hair. So pulling seems to relieve his itches and he often helps by pulling away so I don't have to pull as hard.

He hasn't had his mane pulled now in going on five years and if the times comes to do it again, I will be using the thinning shears and scissors. I can do a pretty good job w/ those and make it look natural.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Mine absolutly HATES it! He'll tolerate it for the first 1/3rd or so... half if I'm lucky- but even if I split it up into two or three different days, he knows what's up and def. is not a happy camper. Heck, last time I went to pull his mane, I got half of it done the day befor my show, and then came out the morning of to pull the rest. He saw that pulling comb and before I even put it to his mane his head was up, and he wasn't happy. I ended up taking the clippers to it to shorten it so that I could braid it but it's so thick that for the braids to come out nice you really do have to pull it.

Now I just roach his mane. It looks adorable on him and it's so muc heasier
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Smile Hates It

My 17 hh delicate flower hates it. Before I bought him, they would ACE him and do it with clippers. I use siccors (sp) and a thinning comb so he doesn't mind that as much so no ACE. Would love to cut a bridle path again, but I don't own clippers and I don't know how to give ACE. Of course, he has a very thin mane so it is no real big deal.

An appendix qh I leased in college loved it. I would just wrap the comb, hold it, and he would pull for me.

My old guy LOVED it. He just wanted you to play with his mane, didn't matter what you were doing to it. He was a little odd. The braiders loved him and would do him last, tpyically, he would fall asleep in the cross ties or remain stock still loose in his stall while they braided. He didn't have a lot of mane either.

Once I was combing his mane and stopped to chat, the hand the comb was in was near enough that he could grab the comb, and started shaking my arm up and down. I told the person I was chatting too that apparently break time was over and I needed to continue combing.

The one I have now, no freaking way are you pulling his mane. He HATES it as much as the old one loved it. Even if you back comb his mane a little he starts to freak out. He doesn't have much in the way of mane so it is either scissored or I use the clipper blades to shorten it.

I had an OTTB mare who loved it. Would lean into it and then eventually doze off. She was my first horse, so I thought they'd all be that way.

They are not.

I've had everything from horses that are mildly annoyed to ones that practically tear the barn down. Only years later did I realize how truly unusual that mare was.

My horse loves it.

Dan.. now, he would hurt you. I sent him to Flash w/it not out of control but working on it. Flash.. did you ever pull it? If so, did he slam you up against the wall? I used to have a friend "hold" him and we laughed the whole time I was being flung about. Some friends can make any event amusing
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I did forget to mention the pain my fingers were in. If I did it often, maybe I'd wrap them in tape or something. Ouch.

My red head mare seams to loff it most of the time. But I think its more she loves it when she is the center of my attention (shes very jealous when it comes to me). Not so lucky with my others, but at least they tolerate it most times.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

WOW!!! I didn't know there was such a thing as a horse that liked it?!

My guy totally hates it to the point where I have to do the back combing and scissor thing! (and he still doesnt completely like that)

I've had some that didn't mind, but I would never say they ENJOYED it!

Boy, you guys that have ones that love it are LUCKY!
    ~Darci~
    "We have an obligation. We are their keepers." ~Roy Jackson

My girl just dozes off as I do it- her mane grows pretty quickly, so I have to pull it often, it's great that she doesn't mind!
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

My gelding loves it - I think the itch-scratching theory holds true for him, also. He does have a thinner red-headed mane though, so I started using the solo comb to trim long hairs instead of pull, but he thinks that's pretty good, too. I also discovered he finds it very soothing even if he is in the middle of one of his fits about the various horse-eating monsters outside the barn. Then again he also loves any sort of pampering, beauty parlor attention; he's kind of a girl

Fun to know he's not the only goofball this way!

My draft cross will ground tie in the aisle while I pull his mane... I usually do it in the spring when he's shedding and itchy anyway, and he'll just stand there while I do it. Good thing too, because his mane is so thick he would melt in the summer if I didn't pull it

Oddly enough, my drama queen Arab could care less about mane pulling, too. He doesn't really like to be groomed, unless it's with the ultra-soft brush, so I figured he would hate having his mane pulled. I held my breath the first time I tried it, but he stood like a rock - didn't even flinch. Go figure.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

One of my first OTTBs (decades ago now) absolutely adored ANY kind of grooming/fussing over/mane pulling/whatever. He would stand happily in the barn aisle for hours.

This old horse looked like Exterminator and wanted to look like Secretariat. He LOVED every aspect of being groomed and dressed up! He was the only horse I have ever known who would - quite literally - stop and preen himself in front of mirrors or windows.

(And yes, he *was* bright enough to be able to tell the difference between his own reflection in a mirror and another horse. He knew perfectly well which was which.)
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

My difficult swedish dutch mare who hates to be touched or brushed loves her mane being brushed of pulled. Go figure!!

Dalemma

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post

This old horse looked like Exterminator and wanted to look like Secretariat. He LOVED every aspect of being groomed and dressed up! He was the only horse I have ever known who would - quite literally - stop and preen himself in front of mirrors or windows.

(And yes, he *was* bright enough to be able to tell the difference between his own reflection in a mirror and another horse. He knew perfectly well which was which.)

Our small junior is like this, too. There is nothing he likes better than seeing himself! You can hear him thinking "damn I'm good looking, just like they say I am!"

Dan, of course, didn't need a mirror, he just plain knew it, from the inside out and he was right. That was one *sexy*! horse!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.