The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best way to provide water in a field

several hundred feet away from the well? Without having to go thru major expensive undertakings, would hoses work?

We've got multiple projects going on and aren't ready to run water everywhere it needs to go. For the back pasture we have 200 ft of hose coming from the barn. I don't see how adding a couple more hoses would be any different. I would use good hoses with O-rings or grommets (whatever they are called) inside so that the seal will be good and you won't be leaking a lot of water at the hose connections. I bought 2 of the 100ft. hoses specifically for this. It justs lays there and we hook up to it when we need to fill a water trough. Don't bother lugging around other hoses to use here there and everywhere. It is just too much trouble.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

Hoses are fine as long as you don't leave the end of the hose in the tank (hence sucking the water back out when you shut off the pump) AND you aren't in the freeze zone.

Even when I lived in N TX, we used long hoses out to our pasture. We only had a few cold snaps a year below freezing and prior to those we were careful to drain the hose and take it inside.

Couldn't really do it here in MI...but if you're in a warmer climate, it shouldn't be a big deal.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

We rented a house for a year before we bought ours, it was 17 acres and the barn was on the front half the house on the back. We started with bringing buckets down filling them and taking them back up on the 4 wheeler but that was crazy We decided to buy a bunch of water hoses and hooked them to the house and ran them thru the pasture (not the smartest idea but no one got hurt ) and up to the barn. It worked great for a year for us and the horses never bothered with the hose and knew it was there.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Hoses will work (a bit of a pain). We did this for awhile on one farm. We had a rolling hose reel that was fairly easy to roll up the hose. If you are in a cold locale, try and roll it back up "above" where it goes to the water trough, and if you can, stow it in a warmer place (garage, shed, etc). DON'T leave it hooked to the water source.

Thanks for the replies. This is land I hope to be able to get in the future that may not be sharing a fence line with my farm, but is about a 5 min walk to the field from the back of my farm.

Is there any other way to provide water besides installing auto waters that is not too expensive? I supposed like Rabicon said, I could haul it, but I can see that getting old quick.

Oh, duh, I completely forgot. Get thee to a Tractor Supply and get one of their big, white, plastic water tanks...whatever size and shape works best for you (we have a round one that is about 250 gallons). Stick it on either the bed of a pick up or some other motorized vehicle (we use a Mule), and haul the water that way. We have about 18 inches of PVC pipe at the end, and it fills the troughs in about 2 minutes each (slower once it gets low). It is a PITA, but not nearly as big as all the hoses we once dealt with.

I don't know WHY I forgot about that! Two of our four fields are quite a ways from a water source, and that's how we fill them.

Until you figure something better, you can haul water with these collapsible water tanks, that fit in the pickup and fold like a tarp when you are not using them:

http://www.watertanks.com/category/11/

We laugh at ourselves because we have many feet of hoses. One length that runs 300' out to a pasture into a trough (horses are out in that area the beginning of June through the end of October in New England nine hours a day). We have another that in the spring though fall that runs 200' to the barn area where we have a ring, barn, and turnout area. Horses are there in the evening.

In the winter; however, the hose out to the barn is rolled up into our cellar and pulled out every 3 to 4 days (have a 100 gallon tank with three horses). We manage very well (speaking of wells our artesian well pushes 100 gallons per minute, must have hit an underground river when the well was dug). From the same hose in the summer, horses get a nice bath.

I used 500 feet of hoses to water 60 to 70 head of horses and cattle in 8 different tanks for 16 years gets to be a bitch in the winter but I did it. Rather like my Ritchies I put in two years ago though.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

hoses work, or buy the 1" water line like what is used underground (it's blue color) and run that on top of the ground. 1" will get the water there faster.
    Install faucets / valves at the ends by the troughs. Using the 1" heavy-duty stuff means less likely to suffer a rupture than regular garden hose if you leave the water turned on at the hydrant/ tap.

And, as Buddy Roo pointed out, don't leave the end of the hose in the trough - otherwise the water will siphon back out.

Friends of mine have a several hundred feet of hose. They blow it out using an air compressor, so that the water doesn't freeze in it.

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    I used 500 feet of hoses to water 60 to 70 head of horses and cattle in 8 different tanks for 16 years gets to be a bitch in the winter but I did it. Rather like my Ritchies I put in two years ago though.
    How do you like the Ritchies? I'm debating between those and the Nelson's. I've heard people go both ways. My pastures have no more than 3-4 horses in each field, so only need the small ones.

You would fall over if you saw all my hoses! I have the water source in the barn. One 125' hose in the barn. Another at that spot going out to the front field and paddocks 1,2 and round pen if needed. Another hose planted at paddock 3 and equiciser to hook onto that hose when needed.

Another water source at carriage house. These hoses go to other front field and will attach to another planted hose that goes to side field.

Another water source at back of help house with hose planted to go to paddock 4. Other hoses planted to reach 550'+ to fields in back. Each hose is 100' Sears craftsman lifetime guarantee hose.

I have three water sources at second barn if needed, but they are not used for watering outside.

Then I have hoses at main house for pool, garden, and landscape watering.

They've all been this way for 5 years. I have a system and everyone knows NOT to touch my hoses!

I keep the hoses where they lay and unhook each one and drain it after every use. Usually in the winter, I fill troughs every 2-3 days. It only takes me 10 extra mins to drain them. I start at the water source and walk the hose over my shoulder and disconnect each hose as I come to it.

Every year I talk about getting auto waterers - but haven't yet! I guess I got so used to doing it this way, auto waterers are at the bottom of my list!

We have always just used hoses, preferably the 3/4" diameter.

We have an alternate method as well, used as little as possible. We have lots and lots of 3.5 and 5 gal. plastic buckets and lids from various sources. We'll load them in the back of the pickup, fill them, put lids on, drive to the big stock tank , remove lids and dump. We had to do this when most of the horses were on the new farm but we didn't have water turned on yet and had to haul water from the old farm a few miles away, and when the hoses froze or broke. It's a PITA, but easier than draining and picking up a couple hundred feet of hose every day in freezing weather. Fortunately my big herd has a natural water source available most of the time and only rarely do we have to fill their tank in the winter.

We have a pasture that is 800 feet from the closest hydrant. We only use this pasture in the summer. I bought the hard plastic water line, the kind for underground waterlines and ran it to this pasture, just laying on the ground. It comes in 100 foot rolls so I had to splice it but they make connector thingies and hose clamps for joining it together. I was able to lay this waterline along a fenceline where it isn't getting driven over or caught on things and this has worked well for two summers so far. Much less expensive than 800 feet of hose. Not an ideal situation and it wouldn't work for winter here, but this pasture is where we couldn't dig in a water line to it even if we could afford to.

I love the Ritchies I went with them over the Nelsons because of being in central Mn. and the cold we have ( -31 this morning ) everyone I talked to around here with Nelsons has had problems with them freezing in extreame cold the Ritchies they haven't.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.