The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dumb question of the day - how many bales...

Do you think you could fit into the average 2 horse trailer?

I think we fit 36ish in ours a couple of months ago. Hope that helps!
    "Farriers are the hairdressers of the horse world. They know everything about everybody..."-Lildunhorse

Yes, that helps. Thanks. I was debating picking up hay or having it delivered. Looks like I'll get it delivered.

What size bales? :-)

Find a sample bale. Measure it.

Measure your horse trailer. An additional factor would be whether there will be dividers in the trailer when you are trying to put hay in it.

From that, you will be able to figure out, volume wise, how much hay you can put in.

There is also the factor of weight. I think hay is probably of a density that you should not be able to overload your trailer, but it's worth doing the math. I certainly know you can overload a horse trailer with books.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Last weekend, we fit 30 fairly large square bales into my neighbor's two horse. We could've fit maybe a half dozen more if we'd been careful about stacking tightly and if either of us could lift a large square bale over our heads.

Obviously, you people were not taught to stack-n-pack by my father! Military training, I think. Every nook-n-cranny...

We get an average of 50 in our two-horse Brenderup, average-size 40# bales.
    Foxwin Farm
    Home of The Bay Boy Wonder
    and other fine Morgan Sporthorses

In my old 198? Circle J (7'4" tall) with a dressing room and built-in mangers, I loaded 46 bales one time. !! Yup. Stuffed the dressing room too. I had to stack on top of my step-stool in order to clear the brush box on the inside of the DR door! These were 50-55 pounders. It was stuffed. I took out the divider. One thing about a BP, is you can also pack the bed of the truck!! LOL...

I've been able to load up to 72 bales of hay in my 3H slant GN. and 100 bales of shavings. Not using the DR.

I can fit 48 square bales in my Hawk 2H BP with no dressing room if I take the dividers out. The bales average 50-60 lbs.
    Y'all ain't right!

Forty 50# bales in a 2 horse BP Sundowner is my best. Just be careful because it makes the trailer really top heavy when you have bales stacked high in the trailer. Tows a lot different than just having a horse back there.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Default hay

what are you pulling the trailer with? We could get between 36-40 bales in the trailer, and another 50-75 bales on the truck, depending on which truck we used. That was just a short trip, tho.
    IF delivery is not too expensive, it sure beats going to play in the cold loading it yourself!
    J

Maybe not such a dumb question after all

The hay guy doesn't deliver and it's only about 10 min away from us. We'll probably use the F350 long bed truck to pull it, so we could fit several bales in the bed too.

I think we crammed 40ish into two spots in our big five horse trailer last winter (three horses up front). They were largeish (for East coast bales), and it was about the same space, if not a little less, than our two horse.

I would think you could easily fit 50 bales in the trailer and a good 25-30 in the truck bed.

I can do about 27 on a short bed truck and 50 in a two horse if they're that size.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by SCF01 View Post
    Maybe not such a dumb question after all

The hay guy doesn't deliver and it's only about 10 min away from us. We'll probably use the F350 long bed truck to pull it, so we could fit several bales in the bed too.
    "Several Bales" >.. uh... Yeah, I think you could get a "few" on there.... LOL...
    I think I've had 38 in my 6.75 bed on the F150. Problem was ... OVER LOADED. LOL... The truck handled great, but technically, my payload is only something like 1600 or 1800 pounds - the bales were nearly 60 pounds each (fresh out of the field) so I had more than 2100 pounds on there. LOL...

My gf with a 1 ton dually had 85 on her truck once. gads it looked like a Giant Rolling Round Bale coming down the road... it was stacked on the cab and with the tailgate down. In fact, she might even have had a sheet of plywood sticking aways out the back... little cheater that she is. : )

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I once got 40 bales in the back of my short bed pick up, so...40 in the trailer, 40 on the truck...lots o hay...lol
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I really think we got 60 something in our 2 horse, I guess it is actually a 3 horse slant...

I think it is 16 feet long. That thing was packed! Pretty average size bales, probably 40-50 pounds.

I am almost positive we packed between 55-60 bales in our 4 star 2 horse slant. It is 7'6 tall and 7' wide. The divider was against the wall. There was not a smidge of room left. I think these bales were around 40#.

Ahhhhhh, nothing like loading and unloading an enclosed trailer full of hay in the middle of summer in Georgia to put things in perspective.

I can put 55 bales in the back of my F250, with tailgate down - wish my hay was only 10 minutes away!!! Mine is more like 1 hour - one way...

Again...depends on size of bales...but...

With the center divider bar out -using my 89 Jackson 2 horse bumper pull with hay bales that are 50-55lbs...between 40-45 bales. It also depends somewhat on how tight the bales are wrapped/tied.
    "It's not a mistake if you knew what you were doing was wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by SCF01 View Post
    Do you think you could fit into the average 2 horse trailer?
    i have a rice and i can get 48 in there an ifor willaims i can get 52 it how you pack them
    alway pack the front end and this is with aptition still in it
    so one standing right upagainst the window at front of trialer, then 8 in front of the partition
    then goes behind the brest bar on one side put four side by side on top of one another then stand on those to put 2 more in front then top up that block to 20 dwon one side then another 20 down down the other side