The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking to acquire a farm puppy/dog.. suggestions?

Hi folks!
    After many years, I'm finally in a place where I can add a dog to my life. It's been years since I've had one, and after he passed on I got more involved with the horses, job, moving, more moving, etc, and now that I'm settled, I'm so excited to start my looking!
    For those of you who have dogs, can you give me good recommendations as to a breed that might suit me well? Here's a bit of info about me: Live on 55 acres, house is small though, 1 story, 2 bedroom. We have horses, chickens, goats, beef cows, and I keep 2 cats in the house. I'm hoping to find either a young adult dog that is cat friendly already, or a pup that I can introduce to them. They are both already used to dogs, a chihuahua buddy of theirs comes in every so often to hang out (my kitten and him romp around.. too funny...) I'm thinking of a smaller breed that I can easily tote to work (desk job, he'd get to hang with me all day). I could probably get up to a 20 pound dog in the office without trouble (course, my boss owns a 160 pound Alaskan Malamute)
    Should I go the adoption route? Find a local breeder? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Default Adopt!

Adopt adopt adopt! I'm not sure where you are located, but you should be able to find a rescue group which uses foster comes, describe what you are looking for and they may be able to help you find a match. Good luck!

Check the local shelters -- they can give you information on all the dogs that are up for adoption and help you match up. So many have such limited time and there are so many surrenders from families who have lost their jobs and the poor dogs are victims also!
    PennyG

Your heart is going to tell you,
    I personally having been a dog breed I always prefer to go w/ a purebred..you don't have to get a puppy, they have recues.
    you are more assured of the genetics and dispositions, especially breeds w/ issues. And my 2 big adult dogs ajusted from kenne / show dog life to being farm critter, gator chaser, cat wranglers, seamlessly and house broke overnite.
    we have a 30 acre farm, bigger house but we have a Schipperke and he is amazing,health smart as a whip trainable and since he is not hunting or herding dog very horse friendly. But bred to be a water to live on Barges he is alert as a watch dog, good rodent hunter, lively w/ cats and clean in house. My vet and her farrier husband also have one. I would get a second one in a heart beat. Also Shibu Inu very similar dog.
    Low odor low maintanance coats and totable but not fragile.
    Of course I also have 2 Chesapeake Bay retrievers 110 and 85lbs respectively. Great watch dogs, big poop piles not portable!!
    Corgi nice dog but he sheds like well like a corgi and low to ground picks up lottsa belly debri. Had 2 no more long bodies week spine n hips go.

Never thought I'd say this, but our little Peke-a-poo puppy (4 months) is turning out to be a great farm dog. Don't think he'd scare away any burglers, but he goes with me to feed the horses, knows to stay out of their way, has not, so far rolled in any manure piles, and does not bark at the horses. The draft X loves him . Only problem is his coat color-light brown, so he blends into the dark and he's hard to find in the hay. I thought the Chinese called them "lion dogs" because of their ample amounts of fur (and he is NOT shedding), but now I think the nickname is due to the 'tude. He is a sweet boy but the Australian Cattle Dog mix now has a rambunctious and fiesty playmate! And all the big, hefty men love him!
    I was thinking about getting him a Harley-Davidson collar because he definitely is not a girly-man.

Thank you everyone! I think the adoptables are at petfinder.com, so I'll check that out and see what's available.

If I decide to go purebred, several breeds were recommended: Chihuahua, Pug, Boston Terrier, Schipperke, and Jack Russell.

Default Ron and Danny rescue

Please consider adopting a dog from Ron and Danny www.dannyandronsrescue.com.

They have over 80 dogs at their place right now that need forever homes. I went with a friend of mine Sue to pick up Chester (his photo is on the website) and he is wonderful. Sue contacted Ron and after a long discussion about what she wanted in a new family member Ron said Chester is your boy. Ron even made travel arrangements to get him to Emporia Virginia with a client heading North.

They often travel to horse showes with some of the adoptables in tow. They will be attending the Raleigh show at the end of January I think.

l

Quote Originally Posted by todshow View Post
    Please consider adopting a dog from Ron and Danny www.dannyandronsrescue.com.

They have over 80 dogs at their place right now that need forever homes. I went with a friend of mine Sue to pick up Chester (his photo is on the website) and he is wonderful. Sue contacted Ron and after a long discussion about what she wanted in a new family member Ron said Chester is your boy. Ron even made travel arrangements to get him to Emporia Virginia with a client heading North.

They often travel to horse showes with some of the adoptables in tow. They will be attending the Raleigh show at the end of January I think.

l

I'm a border collie person so personally I'd take this one:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	we_nee14.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	23818  
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Adopt! You have more choices than if you go to a breeder, and you'll open up a spot in a shelter for another dog that needs saving.

Yup, take todshow's advice... get Lulu!!!
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

OMYGOSH Lulu is so cute!!! And Cody. Looks like they have lots of nice small dogs. Thanks for the tips everyone.. I'll give them a call and see what happens!

Are your chickens free-range? If so, you might need to make some adjustments in your plan...

go to a shelter and save a life.

Or check out petfinder.com for a dog near you.

I've had aussies for many years, and they do well in the city and in the country. There are aussie rescues all around.

Any mixed breed dog would be great for a good farm dog.

I just heard from Ron.. sounds like Snowy would be a good fit!

HI, I HAVE A WONDERFUL CHIHUAHUA. SHE IS ALL WHITE. SLEEPS IN BED,GREAT WITH ALL DOGS AND CATS AND LOVES BEING A SHADOW. SHE WILL FOLLOW YOU EVERY WHERE. I HAVE A CUSTOMER DRIVING TO RICHMOND ON MONDAY. SHE HAS HAD ALL OF HER SHOTS, IS SPAYED AND IS HEARTWORM NEG. THANKS RON

Hmmmmmmm......

Don't overlook Corgis! At about 25#, they're not too big, but tough enough for "helping" with farm chores. Corgis are people pleasing dogs that are active when you want them to be, yet will lay at your feet all day if that's what you want. They generally have a happy personality, are easily trained and get along with people and other animals well.