The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ATTENTION Mare Owners and Stallion Owners - How to get Fed-Ex to Deliver on Time!

At the start of each year, I explain about using Fed-Ex and requesting "Priority Trace". I know there are still Mare and Stallion Owners out there that still don't know what that is, so I decided to start a thread on it this year. So, listen up Stallion and Mare Owners!!!

Fed-Ex started a brand new system that was put in place to help get "perishable" items to their destination on time, with no fail delivery.

Fed-Ex calls it "Priority Trace". Every single time we asked for it the last two years, we actually had EVER single shipment arrive earlier than the guaranteed time. AND...we received a phone call along the way to let us know where it was!!

Drop off semen as normal with Fed-Ex. Unfortunately, the priority trace cannot be asked for when you drop off the container at the Fed-Ex depot - don't ask me why, they just won't. What I was told was to call the Fed-Ex 1-800 number shortly after dropping off the container (to give the agents time to put the container tracking number into the system). Give them your tracking number on the container and ask for a "Priority Trace" to be put on the package.

The Priority Trace alerts each Fed-Ex manager at each depot, drop off spot, etc. along the way that the container comes in contact with. They immediately know the container is a HIGH priority and they make darn sure it doesn't get left behind. Some of the managers at the drop off spots even called to let me know it was at such and such a place, was leaving at such and such a time, etc. I think they ended up starting this service because...as many of you know, perishable items don't always seem to get where they are going on time.

Now, I had two Fed-Ex agents on the phone last year tell me the package didn't need a priority trace, they can't put a priority trace on horse semen, or didn't quite understand what it was. DON'T listen to them!!! As soon as I explained what was in the container, how quickly it perishes, how much it is worth and what the expenses are at the other end and that if it didn't get there on time, I would come back to haunt them, they either put the priority trace on it or found someone who knew how to do it. If all else fails, ask to speak with a manager. They know what the priority trace is!

So, Mare Owners, tell your Stallion Owners about Fed-Ex Priority Trace. And Stallion Owners, you absolutely have no excuse not to use it now. All it takes is a quick two minute phone call!!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Tracy -- do you know if it works when you prepare shipments online? Or is it something you always need to call for?

I've been absolutely delighted with FedEx, for the most part. They have treated me very well.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

And this works in Canada with all the independent contractors they use?
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    And this works in Canada with all the independent contractors they use?
    I'm from Canada, so it does work from up here. As far as the independent contractors go, as far as I know, once it goes to an independent contractor, I think it is out of Fed-Ex's hands. I'm not sure though, you'd have to contact them and ask. In most areas of Canada, I think Fed-Ex is able to ship door to door, or at least to the nearest Fed-Ex station unless you're out in the middle of nowhere...which is where we are so we always drive our shipments to the Fed-Ex station or nearest airport or have it dropped off at our vet clinic. I don't think I'd ever rely on any courier to get it out to the middle of nowhere overnight. I can see where that might not be a possibility on their part.
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
    Tracy -- do you know if it works when you prepare shipments online? Or is it something you always need to call for?

I've been absolutely delighted with FedEx, for the most part. They have treated me very well.
    Hi Gretchen. You'd have to phone and ask, but I'm thinking you'd still have to call in regardless. I only say that because I'm right at the Fed-Ex station when they are preparing the shipment for me and I still have to go home and call in and ask for a Priority Trace. I'm not sure why they cannot do it right then and there at the Fed-Ex depot, but they've always said they can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    Hi Gretchen. You'd have to phone and ask, but I'm thinking you'd still have to call in regardless. I only say that because I'm right at the Fed-Ex station when they are preparing the shipment for me and I still have to go home and call in and ask for a Priority Trace. I'm not sure why they cannot do it right then and there at the Fed-Ex depot, but they've always said they can't.
    I'd borrow the phone at the depot and call it in while I was there!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
    I'd borrow the phone at the depot and call it in while I was there!
    Actually, that doesn't work either as it can sometimes take 30 minutes or more for the tracking number and information to show up in their system.

Is there an extra charge for this? It sounds like a good system.

Quote Originally Posted by Schiffon View Post
    Is there an extra charge for this? It sounds like a good system.
    Nope. It's free!

Well , we hardly ever have a problem in the US unless it is a horrific storm or equipment failure which seldom happens. I have shipped out hundreds of shipment a year for many years and we have good local center here where they try hard. Some areas in NA have repeated delivery issues with some carriers and the people on the receiving end often know which carrier works best. The Fedex trace or a different carrier is helpful for those places. The problem is in Canada outside of the Fedex Depot pick ups and this trace does not seem to help with that as the independent contractors they use are not always too motivated to get deliveries on time. Address deliveries in Canada at best bounce around in the truck til the end of the day unless it is a big city address. Hold for pick up works great.
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

Great advice - I'll fwd this info on to our repro vet. Thank you for sharing!
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

Sadie Girl Guest

This sounds like a great service, but I'm having trouble getting this accomplished using the 1-800 number. I was escalated to a manager when I asked for this option, and was told that a trace meant they would be looking for a lost or delayed package. When I said this didn't sound correct, she said that's all they could offer and that the name Priority Trace doesn't exsist...do you have any recommendations??

Quote Originally Posted by Sadie Girl View Post
    This sounds like a great service, but I'm having trouble getting this accomplished using the 1-800 number. I was escalated to a manager when I asked for this option, and was told that a trace meant they would be looking for a lost or delayed package. When I said this didn't sound correct, she said that's all they could offer and that the name Priority Trace doesn't exsist...do you have any recommendations??
    Then you were talking to an idiot! We can't they all be on the same page? Like I said above, if you end up getting somebody that doesn't know what it is, keeping asking to speak with someone else until they listen. The Priority Trace is basically for perishables or items that need to get there NOW and ON TIME. Just keep persisting until someone listens. Most days, the first person I'm speaking with knows exactly what I'm talking about and then, every once in awhile, I get a retard on the end of the line!

Another important thing I think to get it there on time is to make sure to insure it for a good amount of money. I insure all of my shipments for $750. That will cover the collection charge, + the mare owners costs for the lost cycle.

Then I track them early, and often. If I can get someone working on it by 6 or 8 AM, there is a good chance it can be found and re-routed for that day at least. Don't wait to see if it shows up by 10, or noon. WATCH IT TRAVEL. Know what normal is.

I make sure both myself and the receiver are pestering them. I make sure to tell those first "hand patting" people that this shipment WILL cost FedEx the $750 insurance if not delivered that day, and then I immediately ask them for their name so my claim can point to who in their company could have don't something to fix the problem. <that always makes them take a breath>

I make sure they LISTEN to me to understand that I DO know what I am talking about when I can see it is "stuck" somewhere.

These things will get you beyond that first person whose job it is to smile at all of the people complaining about their paper clips that have not been delivered.

If you want your shipment delivered, you have to be prepared to fight for it. Get in someone's face until they go get someone that does know what they are doing.

Good to know. I am using a Florida stallion for fresh semen this year (am located in Canada) and I am already getting nervous about the shipping. My past breeding experiences have consisted of dropping the mare off at the breeding farm (on site AI) or repro clinic (for frozen) and telling them "call me when she is pregnant", so I have been rather spoiled.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Well thank god they weren't semen but I have had three packages show up here in the last two days that were mailed by Fed Ex Next day from Sacramento, California on December 16, 2008. The driver both days dropped them and ran before I could catch him. I have been on the phone arguing with Fed Ex for weeks trying to get my packages! And I really don't believe this was storm related for all this time (and given the Florida and California shipping locations). I will have to try this method the next time as my lab only uses Fed Ex... Not that UPS is necessarily that much better as I tracked one of my UPS orders that went from Virginia, to Oregon to Arizona to North Carolina to Kentucky to Georgia to Florida just last month. That was also supposed to be a next day shipment that turned into a two week saga.