The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • High Neck

17 48.57%
  • Detachable Neck Cover

10 28.57%
  • Attached Neck Cover

3 8.57%
  • Standard Neck

5 14.29%

Default T/O Blankets: High Neck or neck cover?

I'm looking for either a high neck T/O or one with attached/detachable neck cover. I prefer one with no or light fill for our rainy days.

Which do you prefer?

If anyone finds the best price on a good high neck or one w/ a neck cover, let me know. Prefer to stay under $200 (if poss.).

I love all the Weatherbeeta's high neck styles- They seem to wear great and don't rub the mane- Also, they aren't horribly expensive
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the northwind ones from Dover. I have a high neck one and a full neck one. The necks on the full neck stay in place better than any others I have had. (clipped TB needs full neck protection in New England winters.) They fit really well, and are something like 1600D so they are pretty tough. Haven't had a tear yet and they are 3+ years old. Don't know if you need a medium or a heavy, but I think even the heavys with the full necks are under $200.

I have a Rambo Wug (high neck) and a Rambo Supreme (full neck, detachable), and they both work fine.

I have a Weatherbeeta Orican full detachable neck as well, and while I like the quality of the blanket, I do not like the fit or user-friendliness of the neck cover. The Rambo fits better and is much, much easier to deal with.

On a budget, I also second the Dover Northwind line. They are well made and fit a lot of different body types well.

Do the high necks keep any more rain out of the front? What happens when they put their heads down? This is a great thread - thanks!! I have been right in the middle of deciding what to do.

IMO neck covers work much better for keeping the horse drier than the high necks-if you get one with a detachable neck cover, you have even more options.

I prefer a neck cover. When my horse grazed with a high neck, it looked like it might get a little drafty in there...brr!!

Plus I like the neck cover because it covers more body...I do full body clips in the winter and would worry that a high neck wouldn't cut it.
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

I've had all and have a preference.

My favorite is detachable neck rug. it does keep the rain from getting between the neck rug and rug.

My horses' attached ones cannot come off in warmer weather, but the rambo wugs are the best ever rugs for my horses.

I got the first high neck rug last year, weatherbeeta, and it is not as good as I thought it would be.

Schneiders has high neck rain covers for under $100.

My horse lives out 24/7. He's on his second Scneiders brand high neck (1st one is 4 years old - I keep it as a spare). His withers, shoulders, and chest stay dry with the high neck. Not too much mane rub either.

Okay, I guess full neck means to the ears rather than the highs which come just a short ways up? I bought a Weatherbeeta Orican last year but stupidly didn't buy the neck cover then and haven't been able to find one since. So the neck covers you're talking about you can use with any blankets? They don't have to be attached to a ring, etc. on the blanket? I kinda think I'd like a high neck instead because I want a sheet, no fill, so I can use over her medium for the winter and just for the rain at other times. I think a full neck cover for the spring or fall would be too warm.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I had looked at the Northwinds in Dover, and Schneider's is only an hour's drive away.
    We have had crazy weather here in NE Ohio this winter- some days where it's just warm enough to be raining, but still only in the high 30s. Ick!

Quote Originally Posted by Mariequi View Post
    Okay, I guess full neck means to the ears rather than the highs which come just a short ways up? I bought a Weatherbeeta Orican last year but stupidly didn't buy the neck cover then and haven't been able to find one since. So the neck covers you're talking about you can use with any blankets? They don't have to be attached to a ring, etc. on the blanket? <snip>
    I *think* the neck covers do attach to rings on the blankets, otherwise they'd probably slide down over their head when they grazed. I don't know if it matters if the cover is the same brand or if they are all fairly similar... you probably wouldn't find a matching color if you go w/ a different brand... might drive YOU crazy, but the horse won't care.

Yep, I know. I found the same brand on a foreign web site and the head cover would go with the latest version, but I think navy is part of it. I guess I don't care if only needed for short term... Maybe!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I love the Rambo Rhino "Wug" turtlenecks. You can probably find them cheaply in last season's colors this time of year. They last forever. Also, there's nothing cuter than a horse curled up in his hay with a turtleneck on.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Dover had the Rhino Wugs on sale 45% off in the last flyer. I believe they were ~$125.

Well, today found a Rambo WUG for $185 on ebay (clearance from a tack shop), so now I better want the high neck rather than the neck cover...

Schneider's Body Armour - high neck. I have one on a horse right now that was new in 2003. I've tried others, but now all three have this same blanket.

Love my Amigo blankets-thats all my girl wears now. They have a blanket/det.neck cover available for under $100 (I think)
    Don't toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

RAMBO SUPREME!!! Mine has held up FOREVER and the neck rug is amazing.

I'm a big fan of the Amigo line with the 1200 denier- you can find the sheets for a little over $100 and the medium and heavy weight blankets for under $150. They neck cover is about $40. I like having the option of putting the neck cover on for more coverage and protection or being able to leave it off. They attatch better than the Weatherbeeta or Dover's Rider's International line (I have neck covers from those brands too).

Quote Originally Posted by dcm View Post
    Schneider's Body Armour - high neck. I have one on a horse right now that was new in 2003. I've tried others, but now all three have this same blanket.
    Ditto!! Just bought it this year and I love it. Absolutely no blanket rubs - such a nice blanket.