The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The puppies are here!

Hi all....our German Shepherd Dog, Sugar, gave birth to ELEVEN puppies yesterday! Everyone is fine and healthy, and Mom is doing well. Sugar is our farm/protection dog, and Dad is a working police K-9 dog--5 puppies (so far) are going to follow in Dad's footsteps and become K-9 police officers themselves, 2 (so far) are going to follow in Mom's pawprints and become farm dogs...we have waited a long time for these babies...they are named for Marine company names, with a few others thrown in, as my son is a Recruit in training right now at Parris Island, SC, and I did it in honor of he and all who serve...they are: Fox, Bravo, Delta, Lima, Echo, Charlie, Oscar, Kilo, Parris, Semper and little Fidelis.

http://s432.photobucket.com/albums/qq46/affirmed68/

Yay!
    Puppies!

Melissa

AWWW!!! Congtats!!! I'd love to have another GSD, Mine will me 2 Jan 23. It's amazing that they are that small, then grow up to be what they are
    You board with what I call a, sh!t disturber - Patty Lynch

They are amazing dogs!!! Our momma brings me such peace of mind, not to mention she is awesome to snuggle with!

CUTE!!!!
    Do they change color or stay black?

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

OMG they're so cute!!! congrats!
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I'm soooo jealous!! I have an amazing male GSD from Schutzhund lines who turns 10 this year. I've never participated in any Schutzhund activities, but would love to breed him to a like-bred bitch. GSD's are my dog of choice, they are just the complete dog -- his mission in life is to be with me and he is so smart! Good luck with your babies, just adorable and beautiful mom, too.
    PennyG

Shepherd puppies are born black. The tan comes later. Thanks for posting the pictures. Although they brought tears to my eyes. Sugar looks exactly like my Becky who passed away in October at 13 1/2 yrs. Especially the ears! Becky's nickname was "Bitch Becky Big Ears"! Thanks for the memories!

Thanks!
    All of the puppies will be either black and red or tan--too hard to tell right now--they all have tan-ish markings on their cheeks/above their eyes, feet/legs, chests and rear ends, its just very light right now, and hard to capture in the pics. Both mom and dad are black and red.

J I am so sorry to hear of your Becky. They are special dogs, aren't they?
    Sugar has the most ginormous ears...

Dad (Grim) is a Czech import, a Schutzhund III, trained specifically in narcotics and explosives detection.

Mom thinks its her personal mission in life to accompany my 13 year old daughter wherever she may roam...

Quote Originally Posted by jherold View Post
    Shepherd puppies are born black. The tan comes later. Thanks for posting the pictures. Although they brought tears to my eyes. Sugar looks exactly like my Becky who passed away in October at 13 1/2 yrs. Especially the ears! Becky's nickname was "Bitch Becky Big Ears"! Thanks for the memories!
    Not all Shepherd puppies are born black actually Some just have more black than others. Black and Tans can be born with tan markings, but yes, German Shepherds' coats change over time - even in a matter of weeks (google "sable German Shepherds").

I have friends that have sable-colored German Shepherd puppies, and the puppies' coats change almost every month. It's lots of fun.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

We're not getting a GSD but we've decided to get a breed that was developed out of and by a GSD breeder, the Shiloh Shepherd. We're excited... and the wait till ~July is going to kill us, lol.
    www.foxwoodfarms.biz
    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
    -Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/wlrottge

Quote Originally Posted by wlrottge View Post
    We're not getting a GSD but we've decided to get a breed that was developed out of and by a GSD breeder, the Shiloh Shepherd. We're excited... and the wait till ~July is going to kill us, lol.

Have fun with your Shiloh Shepherd. Not too many serious GSD breeders think highly of them. A friend of mine has a Shiloh Shepherd (and GSDs), and she said, 'well....at least she's pretty' regarding the intelligence level of her Shiloh Shepherd.

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPHILE View Post
    Have fun with your Shiloh Shepherd. Not too many serious GSD breeders think highly of them. A friend of mine has a Shiloh Shepherd (and GSDs), and she said, 'well....at least she's pretty' regarding the intelligence level of her Shiloh Shepherd.
    The one that I know personally is AMAZING. VERY smart, very well manered. We'll see how he comes out. I'm not saying that your friends dog is the exception or the rule but most people I've talked to have said the opposit.... ??? I think it's luck of the draw some times.
    www.foxwoodfarms.biz

My opinion was based solely on persons that have owned, trained and worked working line German Shepherds for the past 25-35 years (depending on the person of which I speak).

I'm not a fan of Shilohs as many people market them as "oversized German Shepherds" (which they are not) and use the "oversized" thing as a marketing tool kind of like "oversized Dobermans" or "oversized Malamutes," etc.

That...and I prefer the crackhead-crazed working line German Shepherds that will bounce off the walls without something to do

Your female looks so much like my female German Shepherd! What's her breeding? She is lovely.....i have 2, a male (1.5 yrs) and a female (7 yrs), plus a new jack russell puppy....
    German Shepherds are great!
    best of luck with your puppies!

Agree with you, HydroPHILE, w/regard to everything I have heard about Shilohs. Most of the marketing I have seen regarding them has focused on aesthetics -- not trainability, intelligence, etc. They seem like a quasi-designer dog to me, unless someone can prove otherwise.

Also jealous!! But congrats on a nice healthy litter of poopers!! The names are great, too!!

I lost my last GSD (coated and beautiful) last summer (well '07) and I miss him so much. He was 13yo and lived a great long life. This is the first time in a long time I've been w/out one and it's just not the same.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by affirmed View Post

Dad (Grim) is a Czech import, a Schutzhund III, trained specifically in narcotics and explosives detection.
    Does Grim currently live in Germany now? If so...I think I "know" Grim

Quote Originally Posted by libgrrl View Post
    Agree with you, HydroPHILE, w/regard to everything I have heard about Shilohs. Most of the marketing I have seen regarding them has focused on aesthetics -- not trainability, intelligence, etc. They seem like a quasi-designer dog to me, unless someone can prove otherwise.
    I guess it depends on the breeder but the people we've settled on breed their dogs for health (penn hip, elbows, heart and thyroid), temperment and intelligence (so says their site). They have a lot of their offspring that are in search and rescue, therapy, obidience and a few doing agility. They are breed to be different than a GSD as they're not supposed to be working dogs in the same sense.
    www.foxwoodfarms.biz

Awww. Lovely pups and sleepy momma.

Quote Originally Posted by libgrrl View Post
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by wlrottge View Post
    I guess it depends on the breeder but the people we've settled on breed their dogs for health (penn hip, elbows, heart and thyroid), temperment and intelligence (so says their site). They have a lot of their offspring that are in search and rescue, therapy, obidience and a few doing agility.
    Without seeing dogs with actual titles and recognized certifications, (not just Suzy Puppybuyer took a basic agility class) I'm skeptical as all hell. The Shiloh world is rife with super shady characters.

Glad to hear they are puppies with a purpose. I like how thier names are the 'code'