The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This thread reminded me that I need to thaw a chicken for dinner. (raised and butchered by me!)

I've got several rabbit recipes and can post them or PM them. One is really simple, the others are pretty detailed.

A friend of mine took a class in tanning. She did a pretty good job.

We sold all our culls as either meat or pets. We could not butcher them ourselves, but had no problem if other people bought them for butcher. We did however quit giving them to one man when we found out his practices were not humane. You have to REALLY screen meat buyers and make sure they are credible and humane.

And I hate to say it, but some of our bunns that we considered culls for showing in this area, were good quality show rabbits for other parts of the country. We live 40 minutes away from the greatest Rex breeder in the US with more grand championship stock than a person could ever hope to see in one location. So the rabbits we put up on the table here had to be the very best of the best that we could breed. But we did sell a lot of "culls" as show stock that went on to get good placings and wins elsewhere in the country.

It is VERY hard if you're limited on holes. We always had at least 75 holes, and at times of the year, more than that. We also used a double horse stall (with the wall removed) as a doe pen. We'd keep around 20 or so does in there so they could run "free" and not be caged. We rotated breeding does out so that they didn't spend all their life in a cage. I can't imagine trying to do it in town. I give you a whole lotta credit!!!

Texas_Charm Guest

Awww .. and it's FUN to have rabbits on the ground.. we can't where we are either .. due to being in city, but our GC doe that quit producing last year has lived this year in my friend's barn on the ground .. She is 8 or 9 now .. and a TOTAL pigpen .. but happy.

My daughter will put a rabbit on the ground in the "barn" everyday when she feeds .. it gives them some stretching legs time .. lol.

On another note (and in response to the poster who was grossed out) .. my poor daughter tried to join a rabbit forum because she LOVES her rabbits .. and she got a hard time because her rabbits live OUTSIDE and in CAGES .. If you REALLY loved them, you'd have them INSIDE with a LITTER BOX..

It kinda hurt her feelings, but she doesn't love her rabbits any less.. they are her little babies.. (thus the reason they are off limits for the table )

Different strokes...

Quote Originally Posted by Texas_Charm View Post
    On another note (and in response to the poster who was grossed out) .. my poor daughter tried to join a rabbit forum because she LOVES her rabbits .. and she got a hard time because her rabbits live OUTSIDE and in CAGES .. If you REALLY loved them, you'd have them INSIDE with a LITTER BOX..
    The 'house rabbit' types can get pretty inflexible on the topic of rabbit-keeping.

My rabbits used to live outside in my yard, in large cages with attached exercise pens. My male liked to roam free in my (fenced) yard but that had to stop after the grey fox (who could climb the fence) moved in. Now (I moved), they're in their cages with pens on the ground floor of the house but I'm building a big pen in the barn. Hopefully, I'll have bonded these two by then -- my new female has only been here for a couple of months since my last female died of natural causes (I'd had her for 8 years and she was older than that).

The Rex is very quiet but very particular about interior decorating. Her litter box goes here, her sleeping box goes here, water is here, etc and if you want to talk to her from exactly 10am to 2 pm, she keeps office hours on the 2nd floor of her cage (does not go up there otherwise). These are locations she chose herself -- she completely rejected my original decorating scheme.

Texas_Charm Guest

LOL aren't they funny ... we've had to change waterers/feeders etc because certain rabbits just won't HAVE a certain type .. they are VERY good at letting you know when they aren't satisfied with WHATEVER .. lol.

When the weather is nice, and we eat dinner outside, we will turn a rabbit out in the backyard and let them hop around while we eat.. If we have a pen of youngsters, we'll turn them all out and they just go NUTS its so funny.

I had a pair of lovely Flemish Giants for a time; Lois and Clark. Several unsuccessful and sad endings to the babies, that I couldn't stand it anymore. I had the male castrated as it was not going to be with any babies surviving...good luck, I wish you the very best for your bunnies...

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

LOL! Mine aren't quite as picky on decorating, but personalities definitely come out. My little white buck is a trip. He's the nosiest critter... always watching and BEGGING. I hope he grows up as nice as I think he's going to as he'd be great to keep around as a main herd buck for a while. He's quite the character and a great temperment. One thing I told myself going in (and actually wrote down when I started) -- I REFUSE to keep a rabbit that has a nasty temperment regardless of how nice they are or how nice the babies are they throw. It simply would not be worth it. My white doe copped an attitude with me for a few days last month -- charging and nipping at my hand whenever it was within range. given her quick change of behavior, I can honestly say it was hormones... she started about 4 days before she kindled and by day 2 afterwards was back to her sweet self. THAT i can live with (although we do have words on it).
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Texas_Charm Guest

Oh man, and there can be some NASTY attitudes .. All my lops were pretty nice .. sweet even.

These Dutch are something else .. does are nasty or just NO personality .. the bucks are very sweet .. But they (dutch) aren't my favorites ..

I think I'm going to get some Harlequins .. They get big enough to eat also .. *grin*

Can anyone tell me what kind of rabbit this is?
    http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

I know he is male and that's about it.
    I don't know how old.
    He was abandoned at my trainer's old barn and I adopted him.
    He lives in the basement in a large dog cage and hops around the basement for recreation.
    He is picky about his house too - don't touch the newspaper he carefully shreds!

Texas_Charm Guest

Definitely a harlequin of some nature .. maybe mixed with Dutch ..

http://www.centralpets.com/photos/ma...o_rbt4286.html

http://www.rabbitandcavydirectory.co...-J/Keiser1.jpg

Very cute rabbit ... you're an angel for taking him.

All this mention of letting the rabbits out in the barn, etc has me curious.

I have two rabbits that belonged to my ex-bf's daughter. They are just pets, and both are very friendly. They are currently in a large cage together (2'x6', 2' tall), and they have a little shelf they like to hop up on. But as the younger one gets bigger, I am noticing that the girls really don't have a bunch of room to hop. Their cage is out in my feed room, and I have it on legs so that it is easier for me to clean out, and because I was worried about the snakes when the younger one was smaller.

I am wondering if I can give them an escape outside into what will be my chicken pen, or if the chickens will bug them (or they will bug the chickens). Also, they are pretty friendly right now because they have been caged and handled a bunch. They actually squeak every time they hear me coming. Will letting them have run of the chicken pen (with use of the cage so they have shelter) make them less tame, so that if I need to handle them I might not be able to? These are my first bunnies, and while I will miss their squeaking when I go to feed the horses, I can't help but think that they might be happier and less work for me if they had a little yard.

And, will they burrow out? I could always put down some chicken wire and then cover it back up with sand, but I don't really want to do that if I don't need to. We do have coyotes out here, and I don't really want them to turn into snacks.

Texas_Charm Guest

They will burrow out .. when i had rabbits loose permanently, it was a constant struggle to keep their holes filled in and keep them in the pen .. lol.

You could, however, open the door to their cage and let them out while you feed so that they can stretch their legs. WE rotate letting our rabbits out to run and play while we feed. They get to where they run to the door and in essence say "me me" .. hoping it's their turn to get down and dig and play.. lol

I don't know about the chickens, but I do know that I had to worm more regularly when I had bunnies going on the ground regularly ..

Have fun!

It kinda hurt her feelings, but she doesn't love her rabbits any less.. they are her little babies.. (thus the reason they are off limits for the table )

Different strokes...
    Ohhhh yeah! Been there, seen that. There are two types of "rabbit people." Those serious breeders who breed and show, sell culls, ARBA members, etc. and then those who pay $65 for an unidentifiable, unpedigreed, unregistered pet store bunny who keep the one bunny in their living room with a litter box and give treats that cost $19 per ounce.

Ours were kept in holes (cages) but they were rotated out so they all got free time in the stall. The bucks who had to be kept separate got thrown in the horse trailer at least one day a week so they could run and dig and do whatever it is that happy bunns do. We had several large breeding cages that we built ourselves. One cage is 6 feet long, and 2 feet deep, and would house one doe and her litter until the litter was weaning age. Then the doe would go into the doe stall, or back into a normal sized cage.

We always bought carpet scraps and kept hay in the cages so they always had relief from the wire. Thin furred feet or cage sores is a SERIOUS fault, up to a disqualification in Rex so we were very careful to never let their feet get sore on the wire. Thats the biggest problem with caging rabbits is the wire.

I think we wormed 2x a year. I don't remember doing it more than that. Our barn floor is concrete so digging out was impossible. But boyyyyyy they'd sure try! It seriously reduces the need to trim nails though! After a few days in the doe stall, the nails were ground down where they should be.

They will burrow out .. when i had rabbits loose permanently, it was a constant struggle to keep their holes filled in and keep them in the pen .. lol.

You could, however, open the door to their cage and let them out while you feed so that they can stretch their legs. WE rotate letting our rabbits out to run and play while we feed. They get to where they run to the door and in essence say "me me" .. hoping it's their turn to get down and dig and play.. lol

I don't know about the chickens, but I do know that I had to worm more regularly when I had bunnies going on the ground regularly ..

Have fun!
    What if I buried chicken wire on the "floor" of the pen, secured it into the existing wire fence, then covered it back up with sand? They should be able to dig, but not get thru the wire I would think.

I'm not sure I can let my girls out in my feed room though. Too many places for them to be hidden or to get loose, and then I might not be able to catch them again. I could maybe make them a run inside the feed room though.

As for worming, I didn't know I needed to worm them? What do you use?