The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Yeah most get well treated but not all, some of the care at cheaper tracks is substandard at best. And they only get well treated as long as they are worth something. A racehorse's value can drop to nothing in an instant. The horse is for sale, there's nothing wrong with a person who really likes that horse going and buying that horse and doing whatever the heck they want with it even if that means getting it out of racing totally. I wouldn't call it a rescue but certainly if she is bought and used as a riding horse or broodmare the odds of her breaking down or being sold to a dealer decrease dramatically!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

OP, if you need a vet I can help with that. Or a van line.

Good Lord, this thread is getting ridiculous!

I just wanted to address a few of the more absurd points that have come up - Imisvixen, if you decide you want to try to run this filly if you purchase her, there is absolutely no reason her state bred status will prevent her from running wherever you choose. As for traveling east - of course claimers travel east to run. Send the horse wherever you think she'll do well and you will be able to enjoy her. I think she'd fit well at a few tracks on the east coast.

Summerhorse, your comments just illustrate your lack of knowledge of racing.

Miss Abby Kat is not being "dumped." She's being consigned through a premier auction house. Big difference, as I've said before. Making an offer ahead of time is of course possible, but remember the owners will still owe the auction house money even if she is withdrawn. I would imagine they would need a very strong offer (over $10k) to consider it.

Imisvixen, best of luck to you. If you want her, I hope you can get her.

Yes, vet and van line info would be appreciated. Can anyone hazard to guess how much it costs to ship cross country these days?

If she were your horse, where on the East Coast would you race her? I live closest to Colonial Downs but they have a very short season.

Quote Originally Posted by summerhorse View Post
    Yeah most get well treated but not all, some of the care at cheaper tracks is substandard at best. And they only get well treated as long as they are worth something.
    Where's the fruibat?! I just picked up a lovely 4 y.o. filly from a trainer at the track for a couple hundred dollars. She's sound, well bred (I did get her papers), very well conformed, a good size, and a great mover. To top it off she has the absolute sweetest disposition!

Despite the fact that I paid next to nothing for her, she was for sale for a loooong time, and she wasn't winning - she's in great shape. Her weight is good, her coat is fine, and her feet show that she has been well cared for. She's even the first horse (on or off the track) that I've bought who came with a nice leather halter.

BTW, she's not the only horse that came to me from the track this fall/winter in great shape despite the fact that I paid very little for them (and thus they had very little worth ).

summerhorse, your generalizations are not fair

Good luck imissvixin!!
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by imissvixen View Post
    Yes, vet and van line info would be appreciated. Can anyone hazard to guess how much it costs to ship cross country these days?

If she were your horse, where on the East Coast would you race her? I live closest to Colonial Downs but they have a very short season.
    She'd probably fit well at Colonial (and run elsewhere the rest of the year). She'd probably do well at Penn National, too. Or Charles Town. Maybe Delaware Park. In all honesty, she could probably run pretty much anywhere as long as you put her in the right races. (I would not bother running her at all if you're not okay with claiming races.) Find a trainer you like with a day rate you can live with and go from there!

I wouldn't mind running her here at Mountaineer, either, she would definitely fit right in here and make a few bucks.
    Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
    Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

You can call commercial haulers to just get a feel for rates.
    Nationwide comes to mind, don't know if Brookeledge goes that far west.
    If you call Barretts they maybe able to hook you up a hauler.
    Also if you are successful ask around @ sale there could be more horses coming East. Let the office know when you payup they will put the word out your looking for a ride east.

If she can get as far east as KY,let me know can help you get a lay-over until the last leg of her journey completed.

Good Luck....Good Thoughts.

So if the OP buys the horse, where will she race the horse? Doesn't sound like the horse is allowance level, so will she run the horse in claimers and risk having the horse claimed away from her after going to all the bother of crossing the country to buy the horse?

Yeah, the claiming race thing could be an issue. That would kind of suck. I know you guys mentioned this before. Is that the only option?

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieSlave View Post
    Where's the fruibat?! I just picked up a lovely 4 y.o. filly from a trainer at the track for a couple hundred dollars. She's sound, well bred (I did get her papers), very well conformed, a good size, and a great mover. To top it off she has the absolute sweetest disposition!

Despite the fact that I paid next to nothing for her, she was for sale for a loooong time, and she wasn't winning - she's in great shape. Her weight is good, her coat is fine, and her feet show that she has been well cared for. She's even the first horse (on or off the track) that I've bought who came with a nice leather halter.

BTW, she's not the only horse that came to me from the track this fall/winter in great shape despite the fact that I paid very little for them (and thus they had very little worth ).

summerhorse, your generalizations are not fair

Good luck imissvixin!!
    Maybe you need to read a little closer. I said MOST are well treated but not ALL. Well that is a generalization but it is saying that MOST ARE WELL TREATED BUT NOT ALL.

For it to be unfair it would be the other way around. Unless you dig neglect.

A great many of the ones loaded onto kill buyer's trucks/trailers off the track look great (to start out). But for whatever reason they became disposable (for about
    $200-300 usually). But there are other "caretakers" out there who do not take care of their horses even when they are racing.
    Last edited by summerhorse; Jan. 12, 2009 at 12:15 PM.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

You have PM

Yeah, the claiming race thing could be an issue. That would kind of suck. I know you guys mentioned this before. Is that the only option?

It seems the people on this board are familliar with racing more out your way. Someone might know how shippers from N Cal "fit" at the mentioned tracks. Or what options are available to you when entering. Of course there is the chance that a horse might be claimed, and it's a risk we take. BUT there might be starters for lower level horses. I think GGF has or used to have $4,000 starters? Ask a trainer.. ask someone with a condition book, that can read it, to help you out with that. See where she fits.

To run in a $4000 starter allowance she would have had to run in a $4000 claimer. Unless they win very impressively, most horses drop down in claiming price from their maiden win to their never win two. I would probably run her for $7500NW2 if she came here.

I know. Do they have a starter equal to the last start? What was that $12,5 or $18,000. My brain is mushy.

$7500 is fair. I would suggest that IF the OP gets the horse she keep the "problems" on the down low. I know a woman who was a breeder of a horse who talked non stop about a horse on a site and he was claimed out of his first start by a member of that site. So if you do have to run for a tag. Be a little paranoid and a whole lot of hush hush.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkers On View Post
    I know. Do they have a starter equal to the last start? What was that $12,5 or $18,000. My brain is mushy.

$7500 is fair. I would suggest that IF the OP gets the horse she keep the "problems" on the down low. I know a woman who was a breeder of a horse who talked non stop about a horse on a site and he was claimed out of his first start by a member of that site. So if you do have to run for a tag. Be a little paranoid and a whole lot of hush hush.
    The only starter at GG is , have started for 40,000 or less and have never won 2. To be run in the 4,000 you must have started for 4,000 and not have won for 4,000 or more. This horse would not fit in the 40K or less bunch. There are 12,500 N2L or 6250 N2L , that would make sense unless you like just filling races. I would keep the whole thing quiet, you are drawing a bunch of attention to a horse that would likely go unnoticed. However she is likely fairly useful if she goes cheap enuff.
    Last edited by Flypony; Jan. 11, 2009 at 12:01 AM. Reason: to add

I swear they used to have it.. definitely on the grass maybe just for 12,5... I might be confused.
    Ah ha! I just asked my jock agent husband who is at GGF and he confirms they still have the $4,000 starter. Weird conditions to be eligible, but still in existence. He'd know and he's reliable.
    The condition book doesn't show it.. they do show a N2starter, but not the 3rd and 4th condition that makes them eligible. Maybe Bomber writes them as extras... I haven't been up there for years, but remember some very cheap starters.

And IMO.. let Jerry and Billy and maybe even Mickey "fill races" they have the stock. Jerry does it regularly.

The short answer is "yes." As Blinkers On mentioned, there are starter allowances (SAs) that are races for horses that have started for a specific claiming price. But, it ca be hard to find enough SAs that a horse is eligible for and can be competitive in to run it frequently enough. Plus, the competition can be very tough. Your best bet is to look at SAs as a possibility but be okay with running her for a claiming tag. (There are also optional claimers, but they tend to be for higher tags and - again - not something you can bank on being able to find.)

The thing to remember about claiming races is that horses don't get claimed that often and there are specific things people who claim look for. Remember on your thread about her earlier how I said she was in no danger of being claimed? And, if she did get claimed, you can always claim her back. If you talk to a trainer, let them know upfront that you'd prefer not to lose her and you're not okay with being too incautious with where you run her. They can tell you what people are claiming and how frequently.

If Mountaineer is close enough to you, I'd definitely take JessiP up on that statement she made about not minding to try her there.

I ran a horse in a $25K starter last September at GG--they certainly have starters there. You have to get the horse eligible by running the horse at the level of the starter. This horse should go for more than $4000 and running this horse at that level to get eligible for a $4K starter probably means that the OP is losing the horse.

To the OP, these questions are better asked of trainers--that's part of the service they provide you. Also, while I understand you're excited and want to share, I caution you that the World Wide Web goes everywhere and I've already heard from an owner up North that this thread put Miss Abby Kat on his radar. If she really goes for some of the prices quoted in this thread, he told me that he's owning the horse because at that level "she'd be like finding money". I don't know whether he's serious or not--because this thread and some of the posts in it really amused him--but he's one guy--all of this posting about this one horse is like playing poker and showing your hand. You can get away with that if you have Zenyatta --anything else not so much. Remember, whatever you want to do with this horse, right now she is in the racing world and the game's played by their rules since her highest value is as a racehorse.

As for the track you might run her at--where do you want to run? Do you have a trainer in mind? Run this horse by him or her. That's usually the process. Then the trainer will probably pull her up on Calracing and tell you his or her thoughts as to where she'd fit levelwise.

As for running her in claimers, you owe it to the horse not to overface her. If she can't be competitive outside of claiming races and you can't bear to see her claimed away, then retire her. Frankly, I find it terrible to watch a valiant horse overfaced, giving her all and struggling home with dirt in her face because the owner is being romantic or delusional. Thoroughbreds know when they lose. That's how you break their hearts. That's how you hurt them.

Honestly, just words of advice. Do with them as you will.

If racing wants new owners - they need to find an alternative to so many claiming races. Any friends I try to talk to about racing are not interested in it if their horse has to run in a claiming race. I agree with them 100% and I feel like a heel when I let my horses run in a claiming race. Also, it is hard to enjoy the race when you think you might lose them after worrying about them just completing the race healthy.

I am sure you all think I do not belong in racing, but racing needs to find a way to keep people like me happy in this sport. More optional claiming races on the card and at lower tags? I don't know what the answer is, but - claiming races may be why I quit trying to be in this sport.

What do they do in other countries - I heard there are not as many claiming races in England.
    Pat Ness