The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by imissvixen View Post
    I wasn't thinking about it as a rescue but more as a horse that for very emotional reasons I connected with. And it is occurring to me that I could continue her racing career but on the East Coast. But I would be coming at it as a complete novice to the business not that that is a big deal and not as a rich person.

I would love to hear all feedback on her value.
    She's being sold as a race horse which means she's being sold as sound for racing, so you DO have a good idea that she's sound (to address Summerhorse's comments).

Value-wise, I'd guess b/w $5-10k. Prozini knows this market and is giving you good advice. Continuing her race career is certainly an option and as long as you don't have a problem running her in claiming races she could do well for you.

Blue Domino is correct - she doesn't have an overly commercial pedigree and as a BROODMARE prospect she wouldn't bring much. But, she's selling as a racehorse. Makes a ton of difference! A horse that just won by 4 IS a decent runner by most people's standards.

Whatever you decide - hope you can attend the sale and have some fun!

He he he. I'd take Peace Chant and El Roblar for $5,000... sure that'll happen!

I will go to the sale. I bought the plane tickets, it's $200, not a big deal. And a road trip right now would get me out of the doldrums. It rains here endlessly. I have toyed with the idea of racing. My riding career at this point is more behind me than in front of me but I like managing my horses. I am not probably a breeding person at heart as I do believe that there are too many horses in the world.

But the reason that this particular horse caught my interest was that I just happened to go to Delmar about three weeks after I had to put down my mare Abi, pronounced Abby, who we called Miss Abi. She was a rescue from Fingerlakes. She broke her maiden in her first race, came in second in her second race, and then bowed. She never came back right, had a curb, etc, etc. Louise had her listed on the COTH board as one of those that had to find a home within a week or she was a goner. One look at her photo and for some reason it clicked for me. Here are some photos of her.

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/p...et/AbiHead.jpg
    http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/p...sFirstHunt.jpg http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/p...Abi2070603.jpg

I had her for three or four years, I can't remember. She contracted acute laminitis this summer while at NC State Vet School for something unrelated and rotated and sank. She was in terrible pain and it was a hugely emotional experience for me and everyone involved with her case. The attending vet and the students were all sobbing as we concluded that her prognosis was grave. I was and remain devastated. Several days after she was euthanized she appeared in a dream at my pasture fence to tell me she was okay. Even now, I see Boozer my old warmblood gelding who loved her looking off at what seems to be nothing in the distance and I am convinced it is Abi.

So anyhow here I am a few weeks later perchance at Delmar with my husband and there is a three year old bay filly named Miss Abby Kat running. We bet a bunch of money on her -- for us anyhow -- and she led the field a good portion of the way with me screaming and sobbing for her to keep going. She faded and came in pretty far behind. Since then I kept track of her and was in San Francisco visiting my son when she ran in December at Golden Gate Fields.

So, that's what attracts me to this particular horse.

I still say go for it...Havens not called back.
    Calumet gal says $5K
    Trainer told me $5-$7 1/2 K..not Miss Abby's
    But I checked in w/ old buddy over @2 Fasig tipton wha says same thing market in dumper its a coin toss.............

I was going to warn you on the dangers of getting one horse because you want to replace another horse from your past, but my guess is you will love her for who she is once she is in your barn.
    As far as guessing her value, it is true that her second dam will become the third dam and that is a long way to go back to before you finally hit a race horse BUT you hit a lot of real race horses so that may carry some weight. Its definitely a buyers market as far as breeding goes but people will pay a little more for a horse they can run right away. A general rule of thumb is half to 3/4 of her average claiming price. That doesn't work quite as well when talking about maiden races but gives you a vague idea.
    Best of luck to you both. I have been to many sales there, its a lot of fun and a very nice venue. Be careful though, you could end up with a few dozen after the sale if they get word about how much of a softie you are!

here, here! count me in on the offended by rescues who want to judge everyone and everything with out being part of the solution clique. or maybe just start a thread of horse rescue group horror stories. ok, hubby is taking away my chocolate now. good luck getting your girl!

I fell for a horse at Keeneland racetrack this fall. His name is Just Like Biscuit. I wish I'd kept up on his career - because it was same sort of emotional impact.

By the way, I live in Kentucky. Toilet is a kind word for the market.

imissvixen - I hope you get your girl! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    Who peed in your cornflakes this morning?

Reality is harsh. They can't run, and if nobody wants to adopt them for a new life as an off the track thoroughbred, then they end up on some french mans dinner plate. Maybe she's so pretty some rich person will buy her as a broodmare, we can only hope.

There are some really nice race prospects in the Barretts sale, my choice would be one of the Popular yearlings, or one of the mare's in foal to Popular. His first crop 2 year olds did quite well in California this year.

I own an old TB mare, daughter of a top broodmare sire, got her cheap because she couldn't run, her dam couldn't run, but her second dam could.

If I wasn't feeding her, she'd end up on a Frenchman's dinner plate. Us OTTB owners don't fool ourselves. We know the next stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Domino View Post
    What her second dam did, might have had some meaning in the past, before she started her race career.

However, she's already proven that she can't run a lick.

Therefore, any foals that she would produce would show a first and second dam who couldn't run a lick, A third dam who could produce. What a 3rd dam did doesn't mean anything, not here in California, or any other state either.
    Ever heard of a mare called "La Troienne?" She couldn't run a lick either....

Quote Originally Posted by imissvixen View Post
    But the reason that this particular horse caught my interest was that I just happened to go to Delmar about three weeks after I had to put down my mare Abi, pronounced Abby, who we called Miss Abi.
    So anyhow here I am a few weeks later perchance at Delmar with my husband and there is a three year old bay filly named Miss Abby Kat running. We bet a bunch of money on her -- for us anyhow -- and she led the field a good portion of the way with me screaming and sobbing for her to keep going. She faded and came in pretty far behind. Since then I kept track of her and was in San Francisco visiting my son when she ran in December at Golden Gate Fields.

So, that's what attracts me to this particular horse.
    I love this story and am totally cheering you on!!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Just wishing you luck at the auction--a connection is a connection and if you want her,
    get her! Some things are just meant to be...

Reality is harsh. They can't run, and if nobody wants to adopt them for a new life as an off the track thoroughbred, then they end up on some french mans dinner plate. Maybe she's so pretty some rich person will buy her as a broodmare, we can only hope.
    I still don't understand how you can decide that this filly can not run.....I could undestand if she was still a maiden that showed absolutely nothing on her form running at the bottom level -- but this filly is a front-runner...never really rated & was running at the top against some tough company until her last few starts (where she STILL wasn't dropped to the bottom) -- in which one of them she win easily. She also never run shorter than 6 furlongs besides the race she win...she'd probably be even better going 5f. Put this filly at a cheaper track such as where Jessi P is from & she'd be one *ell of a filly....probably go right through her conditions racking up close to $30k in 4 starts. Take her to Presque Isle or Philly & she'd double that $30k with those purses & she'd probably even be claimed if run at the bottom (but of course, those trainers won't know what they're doing since they'd be claiming a horse that can't run)....I agree with the others == that she'll sell for between $5 to $10k & probably leave the state of California to another track. Only thing I can see dropping her sale price is something obvious to the bidder that would hinder or put a hint of doubt to her soundness.

OP -- have fun at the sale & I do hope you get her --- even if you don't, do what some other suggested & try & get your name listed on her papers as a back-up when she's done with her racing career.

To add to that she might really enjoy real dirt instead of the synthetics she's been subjected to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    Ever heard of a mare called "La Troienne?" She couldn't run a lick either....

La Troienne was owned by the filthy rich and bought by the filthy rich. Cat doesn't have that luxury. Her owners the Beckers are dumping her at public auction. She has nothing in common with La Troienne.

Quote Originally Posted by tbracer65 View Post
    I still don't understand how you can decide that this filly can not run.....I could undestand if she was still a maiden that showed absolutely nothing on her form running at the bottom level -- but this filly is a front-runner...never really rated & was running at the top against some tough company until her last few starts (where she STILL wasn't dropped to the bottom) -- in which one of them she win easily. She also never run shorter than 6 furlongs besides the race she win...she'd probably be even better going 5f. Put this filly at a cheaper track such as where Jessi P is from & she'd be one *ell of a filly....probably go right through her conditions racking up close to $30k in 4 starts. Take her to Presque Isle or Philly & she'd double that $30k with those purses & she'd probably even be claimed if run at the bottom (but of course, those trainers won't know what they're doing since they'd be claiming a horse that can't run)....I agree with the others == that she'll sell for between $5 to $10k & probably leave the state of California to another track. Only thing I can see dropping her sale price is something obvious to the bidder that would hinder or put a hint of doubt to her soundness.

OP -- have fun at the sale & I do hope you get her --- even if you don't, do what some other suggested & try & get your name listed on her papers as a back-up when she's done with her racing career.

It'll cost a couple of thousand dollars just to ship her back east. Hope you're right, hope somebody will buy her to run back east. Problem is, horses bred in the states they run get state paid purse premiums. As a California bred, she won't be eligible for any of those purses for state bred.

Generally, TB horses travel east to west to run. Stakes horses might travel east to run, but I never heard of a claimer traveling east to run. I do hope somebody buys her though.

Generally, TB horses travel east to west to run. Stakes horses might travel east to run, but I never heard of a claimer traveling east to run. I do hope somebody buys her though.
    Generally, but not always. I used to work for a barn who bought and claimed in CA and shipped them east by the planeful. Not to mention the handful of SoCal regulars who've set up shop in the east to have an alternative to the synthetics.

I really don't understand why you're so dead-set against this mare. Yes, there are better racehorse and broodmare prospects in the world. But she's not the worst one out there. Not by a landslide.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Actually the Sipps bought 9 horses last October at Barretts and shipped them to Beulah. They've won a few races with them there.

Dale Baird used to buy 10 plus every Barretts mixed sale and ship them to Mountaineer. When he was doing it, it was mainly the slot money fueling it--now the big gorilla in the room is synthetics because there are horses that absolutely hate them and move up a long way on dirt. A horse I know personally went from a $20K claimer in NoCal to a solid allowance /$35K horse on the NY circuit. He made $100K last year. (No I don't own him but wish I did.)

It's getting more and more common to see Calbred horses at Charles Town, Mountaineer etc when that never used to happen. Two are running in claiming races at Philadelphia on Saturday for example.

Of course since this horse is a Kentucky bred talking about Cal breeder awards is kinda irrelevant anyway.

Glad the OP is going to the auction. You might want to contact the agent for the owner first and make them an offer. I've bought a few that way and saved them the cost of running them through the auction. Offer what you are willing to pay for her. Mine were typically 3-5K since that was all they expected to bring in the auction and the owners were happy with the where the horses were going.

Instead of racing her....there are a number of very good and affordable places back here that can get her restarted for you. She can get turned out for 30 or more days as let down and then they can put the initial work on her, get her to some shows and out trail riding. When ready, you can ship her home and you will have an already fun project for you. Or instead of racing her....maybe you can have fun watching her show career.

For example, Jleegriffith posts on COTH and takes great care of her horses. Her family has been with race horses for a long time and she does a lot of re-training of former racers. She's based in Delaware......I'd send one to her in a heart beat. She will get it out showing, eventing, hunting etc. and take good care of her. It would cost a lot less than race horse training....Just another thought.....
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

She will sell fairly well if she is sound. She has conditions that she looks like she should run thru. I guess if you want to spend 5K she will be yours. I'will be at the sale, and to be honest with you she intrests me as a race horse for the dirt.

Default barrets

Barrets is a reputable sale. This filly found her level and won at it. Sometimes owners get out of the bussiness and sell their stock at sales nothing wrong with that. She will probably be purchased as a racing prospect for around half her claiming price. But where do people get off saying they are going to rescue horses like these. At the track they get 3 meals a day of top quaility feed hay and supplements on a schedule, a personal groom that sees to their every need ie. bandaging blanketing grooming washing and anything else they need on a daily bases, new shoes every four weeks, a personal physician at the barn every day and they train on top quality professionally groomed surfaces. Do you think the general horse owner gives anywhere near this amount of care at home, I don't think so.