The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

The first 1/4 in 17.94!!!???? Impossible!

Quote Originally Posted by rcloisonne View Post
    The first 1/4 in 17.94!!!???? Impossible!
    Of course it's impossible. However the first fraction is not a 1/4m. Look at the distance of the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    Of course it's impossible. However the first fraction is not a 1/4m. Look at the distance of the race.
    And you even pointed that out earlier.

I know I am way late to this party, but when everyone was talking about her value did no one notice she is a granddaughter of the recently-reigning highest priced stallion in the world (Storm Cat)? A young, winning granddaughter of Storm Cat is not likely at risk for a ride across the border.

Quote Originally Posted by slvrblltday View Post
    I know I am way late to this party, but when everyone was talking about her value did no one notice she is a granddaughter of the recently-reigning highest priced stallion in the world (Storm Cat)? A young, winning granddaughter of Storm Cat is not likely at risk for a ride across the border.
    Don't kid yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by slvrblltday View Post
    Yep I just found out a winner of 200,000 that was shipped in from over seas to race in the US got a ride across the border after bowing and chipping a knee. There are sons of Storm Cat standing in back yard farms for less the 500 so that really doesn't mean much.

Quote Originally Posted by smilton View Post
    Yep I just found out a winner of 200,000 that was shipped in from over seas to race in the US got a ride across the border after bowing and chipping a knee. There are sons of Storm Cat standing in back yard farms for less the 500 so that really doesn't mean much.
    That's a bit different - used and unsound. This mare was young, sound, winning, racing fit, and with loads of black type. I've both followed high-end auction (F-T, Barretts, Keeneland) trends since 1999 and have also attended KB auctions. I think the fact she DID sell for 15k speaks for itself.

He sold for 50,000 three months before he shipped. I was at the Keeneland sale and saw amazingly well bred sound horses not get bids. There is always the possibility of falling through the cracks.

It's not unusual for a well bred horse to fall through the cracks ... just read Joe's daily logs at www.tbfriends.com to see some of the sire's names of ones that wind up discarded.

Yes, there is always a possibility.

And honestly these days I'd rather NOT see Storm Cat--he's everywhere, six-figure price tag or no.

Just having a flashy pedigree is no guarantee a horse is not headed for a bad place these days

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    And honestly these days I'd rather NOT see Storm Cat--he's everywhere, six-figure price tag or no.

Just having a flashy pedigree is no guarantee a horse is not headed for a bad place these days
    I sooooooo agree. if they don't have knees, they have breathing problems... if they don't have breathing problems they are nuts... waaaaayyyyy too much storm cat!!

yeggmen Guest

Default another sorry loss

Ms. Abby Kat heads the Golden Girls’ field which will fight it out over 1,750 meters this Sunday @ Manila Jockey Club. Other entries in this event are Weder Weder Lang, Traditional, Fairy Queen, Santeria, Best of Both Worlds, Tiger is Ready and Fierce Fighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Kw0m9StOc

Quote Originally Posted by Pronzini View Post
    Frankly, I find it terrible to watch a valiant horse overfaced, giving her all and struggling home with dirt in her face because the owner is being romantic or delusional. Thoroughbreds know when they lose. That's how you break their hearts. That's how you hurt them.
    Truly a poignant paragraph. I read it 4 times, and choke up.

And yet, you're also a realist, very practical in your advice.

This is one of the most moving topics I have ever read on an internet forum, beginning with the OP's willingness to follow a "feeling", to the forum members cheering her on and offering advice and help.

I haven't gotten to the end of the topic yet, so I don't even know the outcome, but it's certainly as good as any great american novel in terms of wanting to savor the read but also find out the ending!

As just a casual reader here (just a race horse fan) I can only say that there are some very special kind of people on your site.

In this case, I am hoping the girl gets her horse. Even if somebody else out on the World Wide Web sees the horse as "profitable", if I won the Lotto tomorrow, I'd send the OP a check and say "bid as much as you have to." You don't need a *reason* to want this horse, even though you explained why you do.

Okay, gotta read to the the last posts now........

Default Kat

She did not have loads of black type close up.