The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Miss Abby Kat -- Sold for $15,000

So, this little filly I took a liking to this summer at Del Mar is in a claiming race at Golden Gate. Does that mean she is on a downward spiral?

Here is the info:

Race: 1 Distance: Six Furlongs Surface: All Weather Track Age: 3 Sex: Filly
    Race Type: Maiden Claiming Purse: $ 14,000
    Jockey: Alex Bisono
    Trainer: Jedd B. Josephson
    Race conditions: FOR MAIDENS, FILLIES AND MARES THREE YEARS OLD AND UPWARD. Three Year Olds, 120 lbs.; Older, 123 lbs. Claiming Price $20,000, if for $18,000, allowed 1 lb.
    Last Raced: 11/09/2008 at GOLDEN GATE FIELDS in Race 4
    Finish Position: 6th
    Last Reported Workouts:
    11/22/2008-GOLDEN GATE FIELDS-Four Furlongs-All Weather Track Fast-50:80 Handily
    11/01/2008-SANTA ANITA PARK-Four Furlongs-All Weather Track Fast-46:60 Handily
    10/18/2008-OAK TREE AT SANTA ANITA-Five Furlongs-All Weather Track Fast-59:00 Handily
    Last edited by imissvixen; Jan. 26, 2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Update

Well depending on where and what kind of race she ran in last, it appears she might have taken a step down. Whether or not a spiral will be involved, remains to be seen.

Perhaps she'll be successful at this level; she might even work her way back up. A $20,000 maiden claimer is a long way from the bottom. Based on this entry, $20,000 is the price at which her current owners are willing to let her go, so that's her current value in their minds. Are you willing to pay that for her? If so, go get her.

No, I would not say this horse is spiraling down. If you're worried that she's going to "be in danger." I wouldn't worry in the least. They tried her at the maiden allowance level 6 times and she never finished better than 5th. It makes sense to move her to a lower level race at this point. I don't know what the bottom at Golden Gate is but I'm sure $20k is far above the bottom. Remember - the vast majority of horses are claimers. Really. It's just on forums like this that people think claiming races are terrible. A $20k claimer is nothing to sneeze at.

What this filly's connections are doing is trying to find where she's competitive. It looks like they thought she was a little better than she is. So, they're moving her down to where they think she'll have a shot. If she runs badly in this race, they'll probably drop her again.

If she keeps dropping and is still not competitive, then they will likely be thinking about a new career. But, at this point, they're just trying to find the right spot for her. Nothing to worry about!

That makes me feel better. We'll see how she does today.

Default Results

Miss Abby Kat dueled for the lead three wide to the stretch and then gave way after five furlongs. She finished fourth.

Could be she wants a shorter distance, like maybe five furlongs. It will be interesting to see what they try with her next.

Default Golden Gate Fields Race 5 Friday Dec 19, 2008

Miss Abby Kat broke her maiden yesterday. She won a six furlong claiming race for maiden fillies and mares. Purse was $9500 and claiming price was $12,500. Out of curiosity, how would I find out if she was claimed?

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...121908USA5.pdf

Congratulations to Miss Abby Kat! By 4 1/2 no less - nice going!

If she was claimed it would be listed below the "claiming prices" section on the chart. If any horse in the race was claimed it would say "Claimed horses" and then list the horse and the new owner and the trainer who claimed the horse.

But, don't worry - this probably is not a horse that's a high claim risk. Even though she won, she's not going to be overly attractive to take next time unless they drop her way down and someone knows she's sound. So, I'd suggest watching the charts, but don't be too worried.

Exclamation She's Going to Auction at Barretts -- Sold for $15,000

I am the person obsessed with a filly named Miss Abby Kat. I just googled her because I thought she was supposed to run this weekend. I discovered she is going to be auctioned at the end of the month at a place called Barretts.

http://www.barretts.com/Catalog/catjan09/pdf/85.pdf

It looks like her connections are getting rid of all their horses. Can anyone tell me about Barretts? I was looking at the results from their last sale and the prices seemed pretty low. Is that typical? How do these auctions work?
    Last edited by imissvixen; Jan. 26, 2009 at 04:34 PM.

Good luck. I hope you get her.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

It's a breeding stock/ horses of racing age sale. Each major auction company (Keeneland, Fasig Tipton, OBS and Barretts) has one of these sales in Dec or January each year.

Check out Barretts.com for more info - her catalog page should be up as well.

http://www.barretts.com/

Here is her page:

http://www.barretts.com/catalog/catjan09/pdf/85.pdf

With her strong 2nd dam I wouldn't worry too terribly much about only attracting the killer buyer - she has a very useful pedigree.
    Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
    Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

Barretts is the auction house in California and horses can go cheap or for very serious money (horses have sold for well over a million there--think Unbridled's Song for one.)

Barretts does have online bidding but I'm never bought a horse there using it. Otherwise it's just like any other auction--you get approved for a certain amount by the sales office and you bid if you are interested.

Can I ask why you are so obsessed with her? I don't have her PPs in front of me but unless she showed something that her career description doesn't allude to, I doubt she'll bring 5 figures in this market.

I wanted to add:

You can set up a line of credit with Barretts ahead of time if you are interested in purchasing her - I am sure the website will have more info, or check out the front of the sales catalog.

Also - you can bid over the phone if you are interested but can't get there in person. If you DO end up with her, she is considered yours as soon as she is sold - the handler will take her back to her stall but you will need to hook up with someone to take care of her that night (if you aren't there in person) and get her on the van.

Auctions are a blast, I wish I could go to the Fas Tip sale next week or Keeneland in February.
    Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
    Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

Default Go buy her

Go buy her. Or contact her owners before auction and make them an offer.

Save her life and give her a good home.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Go buy her. Or contact her owners before auction and make them an offer.

Save her life and give her a good home.
    Oh stop being dramatic. Barretts is very reputable and she'll probably bring several thousand dollars.

Good grief.

My obsession has nothing to do with her credentials. I saw her race, I liked her, she reminds me of a mare I used to have. I am at that point in my life where it gets hard to get excited/interested in much of anything so when I do, I pay more attention to it. I haven't done anything irrational lately. It may be that I am due.

Do they expose the seller's minimum price prior to the sale?

Quote Originally Posted by imissvixen
    I haven't done anything irrational lately. It may be that I am due.

I hope you can get her!
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

You guys are enablers...

Quote Originally Posted by imissvixen View Post
    I haven't done anything irrational lately. It may be that I am due.
    Funniest damn thing I've seen here in a looong time!

There is should be knock down minimum price for horses of racing age.
    they may very well have no reserve on her.
    I would
    #1. call sale agent feel them out on price.
    2. get my line of credit going w/ Barrets and find a hauler.
    Barretts or agent might be able to help you w/ that one.
    3.Let agent know if she does not reach a reserve to call you immedialtely after she leaves ring and see if you can make a deal.
    4. see if anyone on this board is going to be there so they can eyeball her for you, maybe send a cell phone pic and be your ears @ the auction should she not sell so they can follow her to barn and get a phone call sale
    I bet you can still buy her thru Barrets outside of sale w/ your crdit line

Kudos go for it, we all need a bit of on the wild side.