The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Speaking of Sales

I was browsing the Keeneland November sale, and found this grand old lady:
    Terre Haute
    http://apps.keeneland.com/sales/nov09/pdfs/3044.pdf

She's twenty, and she gave the world Tactical Cat. Wonder what a 20 year old broodmare would go for these days?

It almost makes me weep.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Complete dispersal, sad for the mare. When I used to buy the Bloodhorse and other racing magazines, before the internet, the old girls went for $500 and were sold to one or two agencies. I always wondered if they were slaughter buyers or agents trying to get one more foal out of the mares. Wish I didn't board or I'd go get her. I bought an old sound ottb mare who was 18 yoa, and she was the best horse I've ever had. (Including the overpriced Hessen.)

Am I reading that right and she's presumed in foal to Jump Start? She might not sell that cheap, or she might be a bargain for somebody...

Since Jump Start has moved or is moving to Pennsylvania and since she is probably the best mare ever bred to him (or at least, one of the best), it is very possible the folks where Jump Start will stand will be interested in having her & her foal around . . .

But I worry about the old girls, too.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

About a year ago I was speaking with a successful TB breeder, and asking him his advice on how someone would get started as a breeder.

His advice was to go to a dispersal sale, find the best old mare and buy her, since she wouldn't go for much. Then breeder her to the best stalion you could afford. Lastly, and most importantly, pray like hell she gets into foal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravencrest_Camp View Post
    About a year ago I was speaking with a successful TB breeder, and asking him his advice on how someone would get started as a breeder.

His advice was to go to a dispersal sale, find the best old mare and buy her, since she wouldn't go for much. Then breeder her to the best stalion you could afford. Lastly, and most importantly, pray like hell she gets into foal.
    Another most important point-- pray she has a stellar looking physical specimen, in order to sell said yearling for large $$$$$-- that's all there is to it!!!
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

Quote Originally Posted by KBEquine View Post
    But I worry about the old girls, too.
    I worry about the old girls too. A few years ago I was at a dispersal sale and ended up buying a 20 year old NoDouble daughter. She had raced, had made babies, was owned by the same farm all her life, but couldn't get in foal that season. Something about the way she walked into the sale ring that struck me. She was all class and confidence, with a kind, trusting eye. She went to the meat buyer for $250 and it really bothered me. I tracked the buyer down the next day and picked her up at his place for twice what he paid. I gave her a nice retirement for a couple of years, until she contracted EPM and we had to put her down. Unfortunately I board, otherwise I would bring them all home.
    Member of My Balance is Poo Poo Clique

I would love to take some of those old broodmares they always look so wise.... I hope she finds a great home.