The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Talking

The below link should take you to Snapfish & pics of Lucy & Ethel, the delinquent goats. They really are cute but they are just baddddd.

Today's escapade involved my husband. Due to the icy roads, he drove our daughter over to the barn for turn in duties, hence, his introduction to Lucy & Ethel. You have to understand, my husband is by roots, a city boy (& Italian) so this is pretty much out of his realm of understanding. His tactic was to push them away. We all know, this is the ideal game for goats so naturally, this became the entertainment they had been wishing for all day. Either daughter was too involved with the hossies to worry about Dad, Lucy & Ethel OR she found the trio far to entertaining to step in right away. After a few minutes of Dad doing the whirling dervish with Lucy & Ethel, daughter made a break for the gate with the horses. Tommorow is another day!!

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailsh...=0/t_=50869606

I have found that the best, by far, goat deterent is a spray bottle. Goats HATE getting wet.
    For your situation, making a small holding pen from cattle panels would probably be the easiest way to keep them out of your way.
    Good luck, we have a herd of 30 or so goats and they are a PITA when trying to take care of the horses!
    april

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by equusus View Post
    I have found that the best, by far, goat deterent is a spray bottle. Goats HATE getting wet.
    For your situation, making a small holding pen from cattle panels would probably be the easiest way to keep them out of your way.
    Good luck, we have a herd of 30 or so goats and they are a PITA when trying to take care of the horses!
    april

Equusus, you gave me an "A-HA" moment! Spray bottle! That's why the little buggers stay in their house when it rains. Sometimes, the easiest solution is right under our noses! Thanks!

When I was a teenager, my Dad went through the "Yikes, I'm 40 and I need a sports car" thing. He bought a shiny new, bright blue MGB convertible. Said goat gets loose and jumps on the hood of the car he'd bought only hours before. I panic, and start screaming at the goat and waving my arms; goat then jumps on the convertible top and BREAKS THROUGH into the driver's seat. He's stuck in there thrashing around, tears up the entire top, then to add insult to injury, poops on the driver's seat. The dealer, when presented with trashed car, didn't believe a word of it. America's Funniest Home Videos wasn't around back then...

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    When I was a teenager, my Dad went through the "Yikes, I'm 40 and I need a sports car" thing. He bought a shiny new, bright blue MGB convertible. Said goat gets loose and jumps on the hood of the car he'd bought only hours before. I panic, and start screaming at the goat and waving my arms; goat then jumps on the convertible top and BREAKS THROUGH into the driver's seat. He's stuck in there thrashing around, tears up the entire top, then to add insult to injury, poops on the driver's seat. The dealer, when presented with trashed car, didn't believe a word of it. America's Funniest Home Videos wasn't around back then...

Darn! That could have been the $250,000 winner too!! Even tho I have kidded quite a few doe's, I am not a goat person. Don't ask. Call me a goat midwife & let's leave it at that. Anyway, I have no idea what is normal/abnormal goat behavior. One thing I do know, goats do not listen. So naturally, flailing arms & screams have no power over a goat who is determined to rampage a car. I would swear, that goat knew what he was doing too!

That may be the best goat story I have heard yet, better than our elderly neighbor so proud of his brand new Cadillac, when those were the best you could buy, pulling up to see his race horses in training and walking out of the barn and seeing Billy licking his car, ran at him and scared him right over the back, up the top and down the hood, leaving scratches and marks all over it.

Seems that goats think that a straight line is always best, even if they have to go over whatever is in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by equusus View Post
    I have found that the best, by far, goat deterent is a spray bottle.

You get better distance and a stronger 'deterrent' factor with a water pistol - like a Super Soaker type.
    Incredible Invisible

That's the BEST story!!!!

Thumbs up Water and corgis!

Parents do dairy goats. Worst. Influence. Ever.
    My filly got pitched in with the goats during weaning. By the time she was two, she'd take your arm off to get a banana peel.
    "I never panic when I get lost. I just change where I want to go."
    -Rita Rudner

Quote Originally Posted by wineberrywillie View Post
    Equusus, you gave me an "A-HA" moment! Spray bottle! That's why the little buggers stay in their house when it rains. Sometimes, the easiest solution is right under our noses! Thanks!
    Yes I was going to say this, it should work goats hate the rain or getting wet........I used to work with a petting zoo with 500 of the little buggers, if it worked to keep them away from little kid's feed cones it should work....

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    I finally gave my daughters Oberhasli show wethers to a petting zoo. I could not take their antics any more! I had no gardens left. They could open storage cabinets, raid trash cans, eat the neighbors trees, Climb or hop over any fence, endure any shock, - SICK OF IT!

No garden here either. Goats are left to range free in the dry season to eat whatever they find.

I call them rats with horns!

The squirt bottle worked!! Yahoooo! No more wrestling the "rats with horns" at 7:30 in the morning when it's 15 degrees or at 5pm when it's dark & all I hear it their bleating. Even the horses are done with their obnoxious behavior & beginning to nudge them when they get close.

Thanks everyone for your help!