The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Up-Date In Post 60 (Colt from "Is The Market Really This Bad" Thread)

The colt from the tread "Is The Market Really This Bad" is now at my farm as of yesterday. He doesn't have any injuries, but is very small and very, very, very thin (body score of 2). He's very fluffy, so you can't see from the picture just how thin he is. His backbone sicks up about 1" and there is a shelf on the tops of his ribs where they tie in with the backbone. The points of his hips are sharp. His head is huge for his body. There is no fat anywhere and his muscles are much smaller than they should be.

When I spoke with the owner about him, she said he weaned himself at 2 1/2 months old. I asked to see his dam and she said the mare was already in Florida. This colt was born in the middle of July, so he should really not even be weaned, yet the mare is already gone. To make matters worse, he was fed with other adult horses who more than likely stole his grain. Luckily, babies are pretty resilient and we'll get the weight on him slowly and he should not be any worse for wear.

I'll keep everyone up-dated as to his progress. Right now, he's a good 8 inches smaller than my other weanling. We stood them side by side and the height difference was amazing.

**The owner was honest when she said she was moving. They were actually loading up a U-Haul while we were there and left for KY today. She priced the colt for a quick sale, but I think his condition kept people from buying him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RubiconJan4th08.jpg 
Views:	765 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	23783  
    Member of the "I Ride A Chestnut Thoroughbred Mare, So You Don't Scare Me Clique"

I don't have much to offer about the business of breeding, but I can't help it - he's darling! Good for you for picking him up. I hope you're rewarded when he flourishes, finds a great home, and brings $ in for you!
    Y'all ain't right!

I'm so glad you bought him! Poor little guy. I've never heard of a 2 1/2 mo old foal weaning itself. I have weaned all of mine at 6mos.....they are ready, but would keep on nursing if they were allowed. I hope he turns out very special.

Can't help it . . . I LOFF him!! Poor baby; weaned @ 2 1/2 months? No wonder he's a bit behind. Happy he's got you for a mommy now; keep us updated w/photos of his progress.
    Owner of ATA and Verband-Approved Trakehner stallion, Tzigane *Pb*, breeder of ATA-approved Semper Fidelis

www.twingates.com

Congrats on your new guy and giving him a loving home and a fresh start. He doesn't look super short in his picture - how tall is he currently?
    Cloverfox Stables

I'm having a hard time believing the "weaning himself" thing myself. The farm I board my mares at foals out over a 100 a year and I've never heard of a healthy foal wean himself at 2 + months. Just because they nibble on creep feed doesn't mean they are weaned. My foals stay with their dams 5-6 months and I don't understand why a baby was then turned out with adult horses. I try not to make snap decisions on the Internet but, if that's correct, I feel sorry for that baby. Good luck with him. Hopefully there are no lasting effects.

Poor little guy.

I seriously doubt he "weaned himself". I've certainly NEVER had a foal even remotely do a thing like that, and certainly not at 2 1/2 months of age.

Hopefully some groceries will help turn him around. It looks like he also is quite wormy. May I suggest that you have a fecal done on him and worm VERY carefully to start with. My vet suggests starting with a half dose of Safeguard/Panacur to start with, for ones that are heavily loaded with parasites, followed by a full dose in 10 days, a half dose of Strongid in 10 days, a full dose of Strongid 10 days later, and finally, a dose of ivermectin 10 days after the Strongid.

Sadly, several years ago I killed a just purchased filly by worming her -- and not realizing the parasite load she was carrying. I am ULTRA paranoid about that now.

I would also put him on probiotics.

Please keep us updated on his progress. He IS adorable.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

He's beautiful....I absolutely love his sire, Rosenthal.

I call BS on the "he weaned himself".....she got rid of the mare and orphaned him. Poor mare too....I bet that was one stressful trip on that horse.

Right now, he's about 12.0H. We stood him up beside my other weanling colt and you can see the difference. They both should finish 16.2-16.3H, yet the new one is much smaller. I honestly don't think he's grown since they weaned him! His sire is Rosenthal and his dam measured 16.3 1/2H at her Oldenburg inspection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TwoBoysSideBySideJan4th08.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	23786  
    Member of the "I Ride A Chestnut Thoroughbred Mare, So You Don't Scare Me Clique"

I absolutely LOVE Rosenthal! I hope this little guy comes around quickly!!!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Poor Baby! He's obviously been poorly cared for and looks half starved. I'm so glad to hear he's in good hands now.

My vet is coming out Tuesday to see him. Babies can get a large belly from a protein deficiency, but it might be a combination of lack of food with lots of worms. Right now he's hanging out in a stall and he seems to love it! His owner kept commenting how quiet he is. Of course he's quiet; he has no energy to be bad! Let's get his weight back up and see if he keeps that dead-head disposition. I'm thinking; NO!

I'm not calling the breeder a liar, but we've bred horses for more than ten years and I've never had one of my babies wean themselves at 2 1/2 months.

Thanks for buying him - so I didn't have to...

I went out and looked at her "third level trakehner" mare a few months ago. She called me yesterday and wanted to know if I wanted the colt for less than her equine.com ad.

Hopefully he turns out to be a diamond in the rough for you!
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

He is soooo cute!

I am glad to see that he now has a good home where he will get all the TLC he deserves.

Keep us up to date with his progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabovee View Post
    She called me yesterday and wanted to know if I wanted the colt for less than her equine.com ad.
    I didn't pay near what he was listed as.

Quote Originally Posted by LockeMeadows View Post
    My vet is coming out Tuesday to see him. Babies can get a large belly from a protein deficiency, but it might be a combination of lack of food with lots of worms. Right now he's hanging out in a stall and he seems to love it! His owner kept commenting how quiet he is. Of course he's quiet; he has no energy to be bad! Let's get his weight back up and see if he keeps that dead-head disposition. I'm thinking; NO!

I'm not calling the breeder a liar, but we've bred horses for more than ten years and I've never had one of my babies wean themselves at 2 1/2 months.
    I am. Can you imagine the stress on that mare and baby being seperated at that age? Pretty heartless....hope that person is out of the breeding industry for good. The only thing she did right was chose a good stallion.

Best wishes and so glad you got the baby. I don't think there is anyone here who buys the "weaned himself at 2 1/2 months" bit. If he himself stopped nursing at 2 1/2 months, then there would have to be an underlying medical issue, or the mare simply stopped lactating for whatever physical reasons SHE might have ( I dunno, starvation maybe?) . Either way, I think if all systems are OK internally for him now, he should be able to overcome these deficits over time. Please keep us posted.

Poor little guy. I do like Rosenthal and think that he might be a sleeping hunter sire.

Poor baby. Bravo to you for buying him.

So glad to see he is in good hands now. I bet he will grow up and appreciate all that you have done for him.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube