The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Costco dog food?

I hope it's OK I post about this here...

I have always been a bit of a dog food snob in feeding my 3 (Innova/Evo, Solid Gold, Nutro Ultra), but my husband I and were at Costco a couple weeks ago after buying a 35 lbs of dog food for $50 and noticed their 40 lbs bags were $21.00 and I remembered once reading that Kirkland's own brand was actually decent. So I checked out the ingredients and I was actually quite shocked. They looked better to me than the Nutra Ultra we just purchased. So we bought a bag and slowly switched them over. They love it and seem to be doing just as good on it as anything else. At feeding about 8 cups of dog food per day, this is a significant find for us!

Anyone else use it or have any thoughts or experiences? (And yes, I know the BEST is homemade and/or raw, but I won't even make chicken for myself b/c I can't look at it...lol)

Would have to know what the ingredients are......not a fan of Nutro at all. I would be shocked if Costco actually compared with Evo. The lower quality, the more you have to feed.

Found the ingredients..

Lamb, Lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, rice flour, white rice, egg product, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocoperols and Vitamin E), beet pulp, potatoes, fishmeal, flaxseed, natural flavor, millet, brewers dried yeast, carrots, peas, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, taurine, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, copper proteninate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteniate, manganese oxide, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfate (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

It's okay, I've seen far worse. Personally not a fan of fillers lsuch as rice flour, white rice, "egg product", beet pulp.

But I am a dog food snob, I only feed raw now and would feed canned over kibble.....but dog nutrition is much like horse nutrition.....what works for one doesn't necessarily work for all.

Here is the lamb one (we bought the chicken one though, but it's similar) Besides the lamb difference, ours has barley in place of the white rice. My ultra has corn gluton meal in it which I don't think is good, but I got it and was recommended it at a high end pet store....
    I know someone who works for solid gold and she said that meat "meals" are almost alway needed in dry foods and that doesn't concern me. Everything else seems great... The fat is higher which is good for my dogs.

Lamb, Lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, rice flour, white rice, egg product, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved witn mixed tocoperols and Vitamine E), beet pulp, potatoes, fishmeal, flaxseed, natural flavor, milet, brewers dried yest, carrots, peas, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, taurine, vitamin E suppliment, iron proteinate, copper proteninate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteniate, manganous oxide, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bivulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein 23% minimum
    Crude Fat 14% minimum
    Crude Fiber 4% maximum
    Moisture 10% maximum
    Zinc 200mg/kg minimum
    Selenium 0.4 mg/kg minimum
    Vitamin A 15000 IU/KG minimum
    Omega-6 fatty acids 2.2% minimum
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.4 % minimum
    Glucosamine HCl not less than 300 mg/kg
    Chondroitin sulfate not less than 100 mg/kg

ok, found the chicken one...

Ingredients:
    Chicken,chicken meal,whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, egg product, beet pulp, chicken fat(preserved with mixed tocopherols and Vitamin E), potatoes,fish meal, flaxseed,natural flavors, brewers dried yeast, millet, potassium chloride, salt, choline, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder,
    salmon oil (a source of DHA), rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis
    Crude Protein 28.0% minimum
    Crude Fat 17.0% minimum
    Crude Fiber 3.0% minimum
    Moisture 10.0% minimum
    Calcium 1.2% minimum
    Phosphorus 1.0%minimum
    Zinc 225mg/kg minimum
    Selenium 0.4 mg/kg minimum
    Vitamin E 250 IU/kg minimum
    Omega-6 Fatty Acids 3.0% minimum*
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.5% minimum*
    Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) 0.05% minimum*

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post

It's okay, I've seen far worse. Personally not a fan of fillers lsuch as rice flour, white rice, "egg product", beet pulp.

But I am a dog food snob, I only feed raw now and would feed canned over kibble.....but dog nutrition is much like horse nutrition.....what works for one doesn't necessarily work for all.
    Must have been searching at the same time

Thankfully, ours doesn't have rice flour or white rice. Egg product is also something my friend at Solid Gold said is totally fine. I like beet pulp for my horse, so I assumed it was probably good for the dogs too.... Do you not like beet pulp at all?

Edited, nm, I just did some research on beet pulp for dogs and there are pros and cons. I wonder if beet pulp was in any of my other dog foods before this.

I believe in beet pulp for horses...but I don't like alot of useless fillers in my meat eating dogs' food. If I were going to feed kibble, it would be a grain free.

I think the food looks much better than alot I've seen....I'm just a fan of raw or canned.....less processed. I'd rather have fresh meat/salad than a premixed boxed meal.....just healthier.

My horses are no different...although beet pulp is a big part of their diet.

I definitely agree with you in theory. But I don't have much choice but to feed kibble right now and it's always worked out OK for us using a somewhat decent food and I think I feel good enough about the ingredients. Thanks for all the imput!

Quote Originally Posted by May07Bride View Post
    I definitely agree with you in theory. But I don't have much choice but to feed kibble right now and it's always worked out OK for us using a somewhat decent food and I think I feel good enough about the ingredients. Thanks for all the imput!
    Yes, yes...that's what I was saying........Heck, my friend's lab lived to be 15 on whatever was on sale at the grocery store.

I have a neighbor that has a small show kennel with more ribbons and trophies than anyone could imagine.

A few years ago she told me she was feeding Walmart brand food as it had the same ingredients as the higher end food. I've been feeding Ol Roy ever since and my guys look great.

I don't know if this has changed but she still has the champions and my mutts are good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth1 View Post
    I have a neighbor that has a small show kennel with more ribbons and trophies than anyone could imagine.

A few years ago she told me she was feeding Walmart brand food as it had the same ingredients as the higher end food. I've been feeding Ol Roy ever since and my guys look great.

I don't know if this has changed but she still has the champions and my mutts are good to go.
    Interesting! Normally I wouldn't go the cheap route, but it was frustrating to see very similar ingredients (and thisactually has the most fat and protein out of the others I was buying, minus Evo, which my dogs need) on a large bag that was less than half the price! It would be one thing if it was total garbage, but I think it's pretty decent. My dogs are all rescues too, so I'm sure it's still a huge step up fromwhat they ate in previous lives! haha

Thumbs up I LOVE Costco's dog food

I have 3 large dogs, and feed the chicken-based dog food from Costco. I previously fed Innova. I switched them to the Kirkland's Best about a year ago, and have not noticed any difference in the dogs. I won't feed the dogs any food with corn, so I was thrilled to discover the Costco food.

I also feed the Costco cat food to my cats, though I typically mix it half & half with EVO.

The CostCo dog food isn't too bad, ingredient-wise, although that's a lot of rice. Certainly a decent food for the price. I'd be curious to know who actually makes it.

Ol' Roy, though, is the doggy equivalent of feeding your kids McDonalds at every single meal. Trophies and ribbons mean *nothing* when it comes to long-term health. It's cheap, nasty crap.

I don't know about the dogfoot, but my barn cats that will eat any of the grocery store cheap brands HATE the Kirkland catfood.

Palatability doesn't necessarily indicate quality, however.

Quote Originally Posted by citydog View Post
    The CostCo dog food isn't too bad, ingredient-wise, although that's a lot of rice. Certainly a decent food for the price. I'd be curious to know who actually makes it.

Ol' Roy, though, is the doggy equivalent of feeding your kids McDonalds at every single meal. Trophies and ribbons mean *nothing* when it comes to long-term health. It's cheap, nasty crap.

Diamond and I agree with the Old Roy....I've never had a breeder recommend Old Roy food....it's full of fillers and by products.

I need to take a look at the Ol Roy ingredients again. The conversation I had with the show dog neighbor was quite some time ago and ingredients could very well have changed.

Having said that, my guys have very good vet checks and one is a large 15 year old.

I'll check this week and consult my vet. It may be time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth1 View Post
    I need to take a look at the Ol Roy ingredients again. The conversation I had with the show dog neighbor was quite some time ago and ingredients could very well have changed.

Having said that, my guys have very good vet checks and one is a large 15 year old.

I'll check this week and consult my vet. It may be time for a change.

If you can, do post them. And like I said, my friend had a very healthy lab who lived 15 years on "whatever was on sale" at the grocery store.

Genetic good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by citydog View Post
    Genetic good luck...
    HAhaha. I'm thinking now I've had garbage hounds on garbage food and all worked out well!

I'll call my vet tomorrow and tell you what she thinks. She's known for years what I've fed them.