The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nostalgia time! Early Teddy vids. Wanna post YOUR early vids, too?

I was looking for a videoclip of Teddy as a three-year-old, but I never found it. However, I did find the disc with his early hunter, jumper and eventing efforts. Thought some of his fans here might like to see them...then I got to thinking how cool it would be to see other horses "then and now." Wanna join me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaf7aRlP8wA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=947SodCGBfY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJgVL3btQvg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6iy-vg_TMI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ekmyYzlTg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LiwPeCob2g
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

Thanks PWynn!

Wow those bring back some memories ( and a few tears). How about one of his little brother:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu3aMokcV94

This was on Jan 1st and is his 6th time jumping.

Christan

I have not watched all the videos but seeing the two that I did watch only makes my appreciate just what a tremendous job that CT did with him.
    KOC may have the Pan Am medals but IMO his success was ALL about CT. She is the real winner in my eyes.

Is number 3 (the 4th one) Gillian? it is definitely Frying Pan Park.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

No doubt, Snoop. Under Christan, he grew up. IMO, it was a natural matched with a natural (o/f at least--can't say he ever got it when it came to the dressage, though!). I think Christan has a "go for it" attitude that did NOT stifle Ted's own, as might have happened with others. For example, one rider wanted me to longe him before dressage and manage him in other ways to make him more quiet. I felt the problems that were occurring stemmed from bottling up his natural tendencies and am now, in hindsight, really glad I spoke out that time. Both Kev, Cat and Clee (full bro & sis, sister in blood) are also energizer bunnies who turn into tigers if they are bottled up. We didn't know how ingrained that trait is back then, of course, so calling it wrong wasn't really someone's fault per se, but I wonder if I'd have come to recognize it with the confidence I now have if I hadn't seen the difference under Christan.

Anyway, enough of my guys! I wanna see OTHERS. See how unbalanced and pudgy Ted was (notice NO withers, just like that shot of Kev from last year)? I wanna see how OTHERS developed along those lines, y'know? Come on, let's see 'em!

Oh, and, yeah, Janet, that was Gillian.
    Sportponies Unlimited

Wynn - Just curious - how old was Teddy in these videos?

Christan - WOW - you guys look really great!!!

Oh, these are very cool. YouTube is fabulous.

Did you ever take any video of him doing the free jumping work you once described? I want to learn more about how you do that with your youngsters.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

We've been following in text the eventing adventures of quite a few equine COTH members - I won't put their moms on the spot naming names - and we'd love to see their early and now vids too! Not just a face with a name, but a vid with a story we've heard.

I am curious, and this may be a delicate question or one no one really knows the answer to: But why did Christen stop riding Teddy when they look like they were made for each other? She fits him so nicely! It makes me think he could have done even MORE with a rider more his "size."

Money, dear! Neither of us had enough of it. That was the primary reason.

But, y'know, none of those videos listed on this thread have Christan on board.

Sudi's Girl, he was five for the hunters, six for everything else, IIRC.
    Sportponies Unlimited

I apologize! I followed the link to Christen riding Teddy's brother and that's what I was refering to.

Eventfan,

Don't apologize! The video I posted is of Teddy,s little brother Theodore al Coda, who I purchased from Wynn last February. He was unbroke but is going to his first show on Thursday. Thought people might like to see the similarities and the early videos. Sorry if it was confusing. And yes, money is always a factor and I don't doubt that Teddy would not have been the celebrity he was if Karen hadn't ridden him. I just hope his little brother can follow in his shoes,

Christan

Question

I read the post and saw the cute video of Teddy's brother, Coda, that Christan Trainor (sp?) has.
    I'm confused about his name. I thought I read a while back that his name was "DC al Coda" but on Christan's video it says "Theodore al Coda", did it get changed or was it always "Theodore al Coda" and my memory is obviously even screwier than i thought ?!
    Thanks for posting the videos, Wynn, it's fascinating to see how he started out.

Ok, I'll bite....this is our three year old pony "participating" in the dressage phase only of his first ridden event. Before you laugh too hard.....he has only nine days under saddle (five days in march, and four days before this outing in september) http://gallery.me.com/redbudranch#100015...the little bugger actually led the field after dressage. He has come a loooong way just since this video.

Quote Originally Posted by wabadou View Post
    I read the post and saw the cute video of Teddy's brother, Coda, that Christan Trainor (sp?) has.
    I'm confused about his name. I thought I read a while back that his name was "DC al Coda" but on Christan's video it says "Theodore al Coda", did it get changed or was it always "Theodore al Coda" and my memory is obviously even screwier than i thought ?!
    Thanks for posting the videos, Wynn, it's fascinating to see how he started out.
    Wabadou,

You are correct, before Coda's name was DC al Coda but Christan thought it would be a good idea to put "Theodore" into Coda's name so everyone would be aware of the connection between the two ponies, so now it is Theodore al Coda.

Goodpony, NINE DAYS? I'd have a hard time getting some of mine within six feet of the dressage rail...in 90 days (idiots that half of them are). And the way he just trots right up to the judges stand? And your left canter circle is so accurate! Oh, come now! The trot to walk transition at C was just unfair. It ain't right that you can have it that easy AND do it that well, too.

The only "excuse" I can think of for this behavior of your naughty creature is that he looks and acts like one of the worlds sanest of breeds: the Morgan or the Connemara. Is he?

BTW, when was that taken and do you have a more current one so we can see the difference (like, his last 3rd level test or something )?
    Sportponies Unlimited

Thank you for posting these early videos! For those of us who were fans, and only saw him at his finest, it was nice to see his progression. I also enjoyed seeing that he was truly an energizer!
    Just because I talk slow doesn't mean that I actually AM slow.

Love the Teddy vids, and his little brother is just gorgeous. Can't wait to see him competing in the next couple years -- if he's going to be in MD, I'll come out to see him!

Of course, all vids of me on Katy are 'early', I've only been riding her a year.

This is our September jumper show round at 2':
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lX8OWUlW6U
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Hi PWYNN---yep, nine days/rides. I know its crazy and truthfully more than even I expected-all things considered.

I hate to say it but there hasn't been any after YET because shortly after this outing in late september both he and his little brother were castrated . He is now my personal riding pony and I hope to spend the next year just putting low key mileage on him. And yes, he is a purebred Connemara--14.2 HH, nine inches of bone, 11oo lb.

Jack 1

Jack 2

here are a couple of pics from that weekend.