The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Swollen palate/Now with stinky mouth...like sewage stinky...Update

When the farrier was out seeing my horse this morning is wife looked at her teeth. She had me look at her palate and it was swollen and puffed down lower than her top teeth. She had a horse with it too (in the past) and 3 days of penicillin took care of it. I will call the vet tomorrow to come out and look at it. Anyone ever had this happen? So weird.

****Update****
    SO the vet came out this evening. She started by sedating Gracie and going carefully over each tooth and squeezing every bit of gum around every tooth and smelling her hands. Pretty graphic! She could smell something...maybe but she couldn't find any place that seemed to be smelly in particular. So, after a great deal of investigation she took out the speculum and took it over to the truck. Then we were both in a cloud of the horrible smell. She said ah it is on the speculum so it must be coming from her front teeth. She cleaned all of her front teeth and inspected her gums and inner upper lip and it had a big (canker...my word...I can't remember what she called it). It looked like the worst canker sore you have ever had. Big circle that is hollow in the middle. Around that she had bumps that looked irritated but the vet couldn't get anything to happen when she squeezed on them. She took at q-tip and pushed on the canker to make sure it didn't go anywhere to an abscess. No smell. Then she found a little itty bitty sore on the outside of her lip right on the edge of her mouth. She pushed on it and it was soft and she pushed harder and her finger sunk into the little sore. She smelled her finger and almost fainted! There is was! She gave her a 5 day course of antibiotics and we took some blood for good measure. I couldn't figure how something like this could have gotten so "angry". But later when I was waiting on her to eat after she had woken up I remembered that this mare does this weird thing when she eats. She gets grain in her mouth and then sits her mouth on the fence. She doesn't crib but sort of sits her mouth there. I don't know if maybe she has had the canker and dermititis on her inner upper lip and this is a way to take the lip off of her teeth while she chews or it is a habit that caused the dermititis and sore. I will try and get a picture of the dermitits for y'alls input. The vet had no guesses for causes. I am sure it was very very painful. I don't know what to do for the canker but see if the antibiotics will help it. It will be interesting to see if the palate swelling goes down too. I am so relieved and hope this is the end of it!
    Last edited by Gayla; Jan. 23, 2009 at 11:03 PM.
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi

What are the farrier's wife's credentials? Is the horse acting like it's having any sort of difficulty with its mouth? I'm no expert AT ALL on horse mouth anatomy, but in my occasional glances "within" it always strikes me that the tissue on the hard palate (roof of the mouth, if you will) is pretty exuberant and well developed--probably because of what the critters eat. It does sound weird, mostly in that someone would make a random diagnosis like that and recommend medication for a totally inadequate amount of time (for most infections) without anything more than a quick look around!
    Click here before you buy.

You must mean palate.... Some irritation?

Any time you don't know what is going on, that is a good time to call a vet.
    Our vets always tell us that they rather their clients are too quick to ask than they wait to see and after all it was something that needed seen asap.

They have at times not even charged for the visit in those cases.
    I just took our now 29 year old a few weeks ago to our vet because his nose was swelling.
    The vet ran a blood panel just in case, as he was going to in three months anyway as he said and all came clear.
    He only charged for the test, none for the visit.

The swelling was diagnosed for now as sinusitis and it seems to be happening to several other horses right now, because we are so dry, windy and cold.
    It came and went for several more days and finally now it seems to be gone for good, so I guess the vet was right.

I too would ask your vet to look at anything that seems strange.

As for your farrier's wife's comments, she meant well, but she should not try to diagnose and give a treatment plan for someone else's horse, as that is considered illegal without a veterinary license.
    A warning and her case history is ok and the reccommendation that you follow up with your vet.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    What are the farrier's wife's credentials? Is the horse acting like it's having any sort of difficulty with its mouth? I'm no expert AT ALL on horse mouth anatomy, but in my occasional glances "within" it always strikes me that the tissue on the hard palate (roof of the mouth, if you will) is pretty exuberant and well developed--probably because of what the critters eat. It does sound weird, mostly in that someone would make a random diagnosis like that and recommend medication for a totally inadequate amount of time (for most infections) without anything more than a quick look around!
    Weelll, it would be like a friend telling you that she thought something was amiss. She was not making a diagnosis. She just told me that her vet had given her penicillin to treat it and it was no big deal. It was discovered by her chiropractor. Her palate is hanging down further than her teeth on the front. there is something not right for sure.
    ? Rumi

she should not try to diagnose and give a treatment plan for someone else's horse, as that is considered illegal without a veterinary license
    Happens all the time on this BB!

The chiropractor found the farrier's wife's horse's palate anomaly and the vet treated it? Whew!

I'd think if there was something actually going on there would be tenderness, actual swelling (as opposed to prominent tissue) and a "NQR" picture. But by all means, if I were convinced something was really off I'd ask the vet to see the horse.

The vet came out last week to look at my mare's mouth. She said she didn't think it looked all that unusual but to watch it. Later in the week I put the bridle on her and she acted kind of funny. Then she jerked her head when I tried to snap the lunge line to the bit. Then she got very excited and acted most unusual. To anyone observing you would have thought it was the bit bothering her so I calmed her down and took the bridle off. She was still really excited. I was puzzled at her behavior. I went out of town and got back today. I don't know why I felt the urge to do this but when I walked up to her in the field today I opened her mouth to have a look and it smelled like sewage! Oh it was awful. I called the vet and the soonest they could get back (and I could get off) is next Monday. I asked for them to bring everything for a full dental exam. I am suspicious of a rotted tooth. She really hasn't seemed like herself lately. Anyone here had a dental problem that manifested like this?
    ? Rumi

That's an anaerobe smell. Probably an abscessed tooth, yuck. Definitely get a qualified vet out to do a full exam--has she got a fever?

Maybe the farrier's wife is psychic - the vet didn't think anything looked off the first time? Stinky is definitely an abcess or rot of some kind. Poor mare! Is she eating normally???

God, can't you guys ever give the "diagnosis" fetish a rest??! The farrier's wife shared a similar experience, that's far from making a diagnosis, sheesh! Besides, the vet has been called for a closer look.

If it is not a tooth, it could be that some foreign object imbedded itself in the palate or gums somewhere. Definitely sounds like an infection going on. I hope you will find the problem so she can heal quickly

She was dropping some food and sort of lifting her head as she chewed. But nothing too off. Since I don't know this mare I don't know what is "normal" for her. I do know that it is through these types of episodes we get to know them.
    BTW I had her teeth floated last summer but it was the most rudimentary job by a vet at the previous owner's farm. She was a skeleton so I wanted to make sure nothing horrible was going on. I also thought she was 18 and know their teeth start to have more rapid changes as they age. But now I know she is more like 10 years old. I was really just looking for big problems as her weight was the burning issue. Thanks y'all I will update you as soon as I know something.
    ? Rumi

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Not a diagnosis , but one of mine had something similar last year, and it turned out to be a broken bone in his lower jaw. Tooth was broken also. It all got infected and nasty because my local vets didn't think to check his mouth, even though I told them about his odd eating. First vet didn't find anything; second vet diagnosed ulcers, which he had from the trauma, and it wasn't until we got to the vet school AND on the second day there that they figured out the broken bone.

Is yours out with other horses? Could s/he have gotten kicked in the face?

Guttural pouch infections cause stinky breath, don't they?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Not a diagnosis , but one of mine had something similar last year, and it turned out to be a broken bone in his lower jaw. Tooth was broken also. It all got infected and nasty because my local vets didn't think to check his mouth, even though I told them about his odd eating. First vet didn't find anything; second vet diagnosed ulcers, which he had from the trauma, and it wasn't until we got to the vet school AND on the second day there that they figured out the broken bone.

This mare was out with a stallion after she foaled and apparently had to fight him off her foal constantly. She is so sweet and has never ever protested anything except her mouth. She really doesn't want you to fool with it. She will allow it of course b/c she is so sweet but she does act funny. I will mention the guttural pouch thing to the vet.
    ? Rumi

Yes, guttural pouch infections can cause stinky breath.... Sinus infections and tooth infections can also cause the nasty stinky breath.

Either way, it's a good idea to have the vet out, just to be safe!
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

It does sound like it could be an abcessed and infected tooth. If I were you I'd demand the horse's head be x-rayed. You don't want to fool with this kind of thing. I have seen a horse's head blow up to 3 times it's normal size due to an infected tooth that was not taken care of. Horse's cheek areas had to be lanced and the amount of puss that came out filled a good amount of a bucket. Horse was in severe pain. It was AWFUL. He survived after a week at the hospital on IV abx.

anyway, it is something to be alarmed about. I'd probably get a different vet out asap - if possible get her to the horse hospital so you can get proper x-rays done.

I 2nd getting someone out asap. Horses (& people) can die from complications of oral infections. Yucky stuff. With the smell you noticed it certainly seems like something in there is infected. Keep us posted on what you find out. Jingling...
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

I'd get a vet out right away to check it out. It does sound like an abcess or bad tooth.

Don't wait around for long.

Have you ever had a toothache? YOW! That should tell you what that horse might be feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by nuts4cowboybutts View Post
    I'd get a vet out right away to check it out. It does sound like an abcess or bad tooth.

Don't wait around for long.

Have you ever had a toothache? YOW! That should tell you what that horse might be feeling.
    I know I know! I called again today! I rearranged to see the vet on Friday instead of Monday. That was the best we could do. I promise I will report all results. I hope it is nothing. I will insist on the xray. I might have to take her to the clinic that is farther away to get that.
    ? Rumi

I had this happen too, with a pony.

I think I would be stroking out over them asking you to wait until Friday. Not with a smell like that... waiting doesn't seem like a good idea...
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Maybe some empirical broad-spectrum (vs. anaerobes) antibiotics would be worthwhile while waiting for the vet?