The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stall-Dry, Sweet PDZ, Lyme or something else?

My set up is as follows:

2 (true) 12 x 12 stalls for two geldings that open into the sac paddock. They use these stalls at will and I feed meals inside (not locked in). I will also put their hay inside if it is raining, snowing or too windy... as in it will blow away as soon as I put it down!

Both geldings are good about using the paddock as their bathroom, but will pee at least once a day inside. I don't mind... I bank the stalls most days and pull them down at night so they can lay down if they please. Bedding is 4-6" deep and am using bagged shavings now. Matted underneath. I got a sample of stall dry from the grain store and bought a 40 lb. bag last week for $14. I sprinkle it in wet areas and my mats dry right out. No urine odor left behind. Obviously it is winter, so true performance won't be seen until it is a 90 degree summer day.

What does everyone use for wet spots/odor control? Preferences, dislikes?

I use the Sweet PDZ in granular form. My horses are out all day, in at night. There's never an ammonia smell in my barn. In the spring, summer and fall they're basically out 24/7 but love to come in to pee in their stalls.

I use Stable Fresh. It is a liquid and I just spray it on wet spots. It works well for me. My gelding is quite neat, but my pony mare uses both the stall and run-in as her personal toilet. Drives me crazy. With the Stable Fresh, I have no odor.

I was using PDZ Granules but then the feed store never had them and we ran out. We have mats and shovel out the pee spots anyway. Well, we haven't noticed any difference since we stopped using it. So I guess I'll save my money. We'll probably start using something when it gets hot or if we have a lactating mare peeing it up good in there.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

Default I've had it! Need Geotextile Fabric.

This was supposed to be a new thread totally unrelated. I'll start over.
    Last edited by Altamont Sport Horses; Jan. 4, 2009 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Oops, don't know what happened.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

My setup is very much like yours. I have Stall Skins in my stalls so that helps with wetness, but I'm happy with a combination of Stall Dry and unsoaked Equine Fresh bedding pellets to dry things out when needed. Ideally I sweep all the bedding aside, let it air-dry all day (with the Stall Dry sprinkled on top) and put down a layer of dry pellets before raking the bedding back over at night. Unless they pee over and over in the same spot (which does happen now and then) this usually dries things out quickly.

As for odor, I very rarely get any unless the horses are in a lot and peeing a lot in one spot. Then I do the above with a good dousing of Pine Sol over the wet spot before the Stall Dry goes down. The liquid Pine Sol soaks through the Stall Skins (obviously with regular rubber mats you'd just spray a little--I can pour a bunch on) and the barn smells WONDERFUL. Sometimes I do this even if there is no pee smell because I absolutely adore the smell of Pine Sol.
    Click here before you buy.

I use Sweet Pdz powder or granular, whichever the feed store has on hand. Is about $1 cheaper than Stall Dry, and works better than lime. It goes on the wet spots, and is covered with wood pellets.

Pine Sol is a great idea! I should have mentioned I only have two geldings in two stalls. They both love to be out and have 24/7 access but each day there is a wet spot to remove. Stall Dry says it can be used to reduce fly population. Any experience with that?

My set up is similar to yours. I have matted stalls w/ mats and shavings. I let the mats air dry everyday all day and spray a little pine sol mixed with water, and use PDZ before I pull the bedding back. I have no odor, even in summer. And very few flies. I dont like the pelletized PDZ because I dont think it lasts as long as the powder and I dont like lime because of the health hazards.

Ah Pinesol! I also have it mixed in a spray bottle with water, I like to go through the barn (horses out) and spray it around, makes it smell so fresh and drives the flies away for a while! Also spray in the stalls when cleaning and take it when we camp with the horses, spray the stalls where we camp.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

I use Lyme. Its cheap and works. I have mats in my stalls, before I put bedding back in the stall after being stripped I take about a scoop of lyme and sprinkle it on the mat then put the bedding down. It works great.
    No hour of life is spent wasted in the saddle. - Winston Churchill

I use Sweet PDZ for my gelding with a HUGE bladder!! I use the powder..actually not knowing there was a granular until this thread! But, the powder Sweet PDZ has been a stall-thrush saver for me!!!
    lindasp62
    Founder & Donor/Account Advisor
    Brennan Equine Welfare Fund
    http://www.brennanequinewelfarefund.com/index.html

I've used both PDZ and Stall Dry, and found both to work really well. It really just boils down to personal preference between the two.

I was having the same problem with my mare that LOVES to pee TONS in her stall. I used the Sweet PDZ and it did do a great job but the cost ouch! Then I found DryNest bedding. I don't think I will ever use anthing ever again. No dust, has a very low moisture containt so it absorbs and just clumps together. Saving on lose of bedding there too. And OMG I used 1 1.5 bags in my mares stall which is an odd size 12x13 and the bedding is like walking on air! It's also Kilm dried so it give a very pleasant aroma of fresh bedding.
    www.homesteadsporthorses.com
    Boarding FULLY HEATED BARN
    Foaling with webcam
    Horse Trailer Rental/ trailering

I was just looking up Drynest as I never heard of it! I wonder where I can find it... I am in NH. Their website does not seem to be working....