The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Breeches for Short People

Most of the breeches I own are too tall for me. I end up folding the waist down once so that they don't go past my belly button. What do all you people who are around 5ft wear? I've been trying to find breeches that fit for ages but it seems to me that they are only available for a lot of $$$. Thanks in advance!

Try the tailored sportsmen. The TS breech. It comes mid-high calf on me and I'm 5'4".

I'm 5'2" and an Irideon junkie. I think I have 5 or 6 pair, with my favorites being the Cadence knee patch. They also come in a low rise which might help you. Not cheap, but they are durable, comfortable, and reasonably flattering.

I'm 5'4" and wear petite sized pants/shirts. Also ride in childrens length stirrup leathers......anyway I have decent luck with Devon Aire and Mountain Horse breeches.

Jazzy: Do they come in a full seat version?

I'm 4'10 and can get away with wearing Junior sizes - they're cheaper so I save money!
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Lady View Post
    Try the tailored sportsmen. The TS breech. It comes mid-high calf on me and I'm 5'4".
    I second that!! I'm 5'2 and have had almost NO luck finding anything, ether I had to deal with the extra length of the pants at shows or have them almost pulled up to my neck! I hate anything around my belly button. I tried a pair of TS Royal hunter (low rise) on and they fit perfect, they are on the $$ Side, but after years and years, who cares... I find a pair that fit!! lol

Good Luck
    You board with what I call a, sh!t disturber - Patty Lynch

i am 5'2 and I love Irideons for schooling and Devon Aires for show!

I also am a fan of Irideons, though I've only owned the full seats. I school and show in them. Super comfortable, decently priced (esp. compared to some TS!), pretty durable. I'd definitely recommend them.

I try to buy Junior sizes when I can, it's definitely helpful when buying pricey winter breeches!
    “I always knew I had the ability, I just had to find the horse to get me there.” - Calvin Borel, on riding Street Sense to victory in the 2007 Kentucky Derby

I love the RJ Classics low rise side zip breeches! They fit like normal breeches on me, not low rise!

You CAN get a TS full seat. Extremely hard to find. The full seats that I find that fit me the best are Ariat Fairfax (pretty inexpensive and super light weight for the summer) and Ovations. Might be a touch long on you, but it would be a really easy alteration to make.

I'm 5'3" and instead of rolling down the waist, I'm always rolling up the bottom of my breeches. Devon Aires are the only ones that seem to fit length wise.
    Elisha

abbyby Guest

I also love the Tailored Sportsman TS breech. It is around 100 (the TS model at least) and I think it may have even come in short... I'm 5'4" and it fits me great!!

Default RTS-Bentex

Super quality, easy to take care of, last forever. I got my first pair at a trade show and wear nothing else now. I am 5'2ish. I get compliments on them all the time. I buy the full seats and you can just throw them in the wash easy-peasy. They are not inexpensive. Dressage Connections sells them on-line but I have had great luck on ebay.

Kerrits all the way!!

if someone hasnt already said this... but you could try childrens...? just a thought.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try a few and see what works.

I am 5'4" have a pair of FITS that work well (sorry, they are not cheap either). They have a thin mesh in the back of the calf area (to breathe under boots) and are easy to roll up at the bottom. Two small rolls work wonderfully. And not bulky under boots either.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I have some Tropical Riders that I had made with full seats, although they are the Nona Garson style. I love these breeches. The waist is not too high and they are not too long. Unfortunately, not cheap either. I am 5' tall.

Nancy

I love my Elizabeth Gs if she is still doing them http://www.elizabethgbreeches.com/

Also, equissentials does custom
    http://www.equissentials.net/
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!