The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1 yr. old German Shepard female needs new home

We are currently fostering a "yearling" German Shepherd female. She looks to be purebred. She was dumped (along withe some other dogs) alongside the highway in S. Cal. and caught by a gentleman.

She is very people friendly, loves kids (probably a little too energetic for smaller children), tries very hard to please and listen. Is learning obedience (sit, stay, down) as well as off-leash commands and is mostly housebroken (we haven't had an accident since the first few days after she arrived). Loves to play fetch and retrieves very nicely - will drop ball and lay down for you. Really seems to like water - will follow water hose. Very energetic, can jump mid-air about four feet and has SUPER SNIFFER nose. Possible future agility, search and rescue star?

She is learning to get along with dog-savvy cats, that it is NOT alright to bark at horses (this is a work in progress, but she tries very hard), seems to be alright with chickens, ducks (one of our ducks chases her and she tries to play with him). Goats - she intially chased because they ran away from her, but has not bothered with them since.

She does get along with our neutered male Aussie/Border mix, but unfortunately does NOT get along with our alpha female German Shepard, as she is also an alpha female.

When she first arrived with us, she was quite thin and has been putting weight on nicely, but could still use some more pounds. Her coat has shed and is very shiney now. She is not spayed as of yet, but will be in the next few weeks, along with finishing up her first set of shots.

We have been fostering her for almost two months and love her dearly. Originally we considered on keeping her, but since she and our other shepard do NOT get along at all, we need to find her another family.
    Last edited by winsmorefarm; Jan. 5, 2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: forgot how to typo
    Anney Daugherty
    Winsmore Farm
    www.winsmorefarm.com

Do you know what kind of GSD she might be? Do you think her "super sniffer" would be good for Search and Rescue? At one year old, has she had her rabies/distemper shots yet, and has she been Heartworm tested?

I am looking for a spayed female GSD for SAR, and though I am entirely too far away from you, I know of at least two other teams looking for potential SAR dogs.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Hello Hydro,

Meeshka looks to be purebred German Shepherd. I believe that she has a "super sniffer" because on the very first day that she came home with me, I happen to have a doggie treat in my pocket, that I apparently emptied into my nightstand drawer, along with some other things and closed the drawer (except for about one inch was left open). Meeshka was not in my bedroom when I put the treat in my drawer.

Later on that day, she happen to be in my bedroom and stuck her nose in my drawer. She was able to open it and found the treat - which I didn't realize was in there.

There have been a few other instances where she has found treats and her play toys. Now, I'm not really sure how much of a good candidate that would make her for Search and Rescue, as I'm not trained in that respect and am not sure of how to get her evaluated.

Regarding her shots, she is due to have her last set in the next few weeks and will be getting spayed as well. We were not sure (and highly doubted since she wasn't spayed) about any vaccinations that she may have had, since she had just been dumped along side the highway and had just been caught. We have absolutely no idea where she came from before being caught and the gentleman who caught her was driving home from a business trip. We put off getting her spayed and starting her shots as she was quite thin (very ribby and NO fat on her at all).

Hope this helps and if I can provide any additional information regarding Meeshka, please feel free to e-mail me directly: anney@winsmorefarm.com

We want the best possible home for her and if she truly is talented for SAR, then we would love to see her have that opportunity. We were amazed as how high she jumped and love her outgoing personality.
    Last edited by winsmorefarm; Jan. 5, 2009 at 01:27 AM. Reason: forgot how to typo
    Anney Daugherty
    Winsmore Farm
    www.winsmorefarm.com

Too bad she's on the other side of the world (figuratively speaking ) -- I lost my shepherd cross before Thanksgiving and have been looking for a new friend. PM me if you'd even consider sending her across the country.
    " ...the mist parted, and there was a green land under a swift sunrise." J.R.R. Tolkien, Return of the King

Default Charlieo

You have a PM!

Aw crapola- I just looked to see where you were and you're in CA- that's really far from MD! LOL!

Hope she gets a great home
    I'm good at being uncomfortable so I can't stop changing all the time -Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine
    If I were your appendages, I'd hold open your eyes so you would see- Incubus

I am open to adoption (geographical) areas that are not local to me currently, as a good match and good home are my main priority for her. We are planning on relocating to VA area - hopefully within the year, so at some point, we would be closer and would like to be able to visit her from time to time.
    Anney Daugherty
    Winsmore Farm
    www.winsmorefarm.com

Exclamation Here are some pics of Meeshka

I've added a link to my photobucket with pics of Meeshka. She is still available and I would LOVE to have her find a good home. Thanks.

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/k...view=slideshow
    Last edited by winsmorefarm; Jan. 8, 2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Need more coffee...
    Anney Daugherty
    Winsmore Farm
    www.winsmorefarm.com

Pretty girl! I have an adult student currently looking for an adolescent GSD. I'm going to forward your email info to her (Caroline Dennis).
    Patience pays.

Thanks much Melissa. I appreciate it. I will keep an eye out for her e-mail. I love Meeshka dearly and wish so much for her to have a great home.
    Anney Daugherty
    Winsmore Farm
    www.winsmorefarm.com

Just moving this up. Meeshka is still available and looking for a new family. Thanks.
    Anney Daugherty
    Winsmore Farm
    www.winsmorefarm.com

Great pics! Your not getting any more German Shep than that I have 2 and worship them. Just trying to help you out with a bump up
    Corner Stone Farm
    Weeki Wachee,FL .Follow us on FB!

Thanks gray - I appreciate it. We have our house up for sale and may have an offer coming in soon. Unfortunately, I don't think that we will be able to continue fostering her at that point...
    Anney Daugherty
    Winsmore Farm
    www.winsmorefarm.com

She is beautiful! I hope you find her a home - I had a GSD when I got out of college and he was wonderful!

Wow, she sounds like a really nice dog. Do you think that she might have gotten lost and that someone is looking for her? Have you had her scanned for a microchip? I would be heart broken if my GSD disappeared.

She was scanned - that was the first thing that my vet did. The gentleman that caught her saw her being "dumped" alongside the highway, along with several other dogs that were smaller breeds (not sure what kind) and other people were catching them - perhaps because smaller dogs are "in".

Apparently no one else was going after the "Meeshka" the only GSD that was being dumped in this group. He called the police and I'm not sure if they caught the person "dumping".

She was also VERY thin - you could just see her ribs, back bone through her fur which was dull and "raggety" looking. She came to us just a few days later (after being caught), as the gentleman and his wife have six dogs already and could not keep Meeshka. So we took her in to foster her.

Our GSD, Greta (that unfortunately Meeshka does NOT get along with) was part of a puppy "dumping", again with other breeds of dogs. The police caught this person as he was apparently trying to drown the dogs in one of the irrigation canals. She was sent to SPCA, where we adopted her - that was just over three years ago and we are very lucky to have her in our lives and family.
    Anney Daugherty
    Winsmore Farm
    www.winsmorefarm.com

Oh, that's so sad! You're very kind to have taken her in! If I were closer I would take her.

Try your in state GSD rescue. They should be able to at least find a foster.
    Corner Stone Farm
    Weeki Wachee,FL .Follow us on FB!

I have. The one closer to me has apparently closed down and there is another one that is not so local to me and the last time that I checked with them, they were full, since many people have given up their pets during economy crisis.

But there is hope - we may have a possible lead on a new home for Meeshka - will keep everyone posted...
    Anney Daugherty
    Winsmore Farm
    www.winsmorefarm.com

I am still looking for an awesome home for Meeshka.
    Anney Daugherty
    Winsmore Farm
    www.winsmorefarm.com