The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default is there a reason there are no TB-Mules?

you always see gaited, or draft, QH, etc...

but, never TB-Mule

if you can get a TBs heart/drive, with a Donks intelligence (and feet) wouldnt that be a superior athlete?

or would it be a train wreck?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Horses View Post

but, never TB-Mule

if you can get a TBs heart/drive, with a Donks intelligence (and feet) wouldnt that be a superior athlete?

One of my neighbors has a bright red mule out of a TB mare by a son of Secretariat. Not a train wreck at all. If you like mules, this one is very handsome and a very good mover. My neighbors are very serious about their mules and are firm believers in breeding good horses to good donks to get good mules-- e.g., the QH mare they use is out of a full sister to a national cutting horse ch.

I'm just partial to small ears and horse (as opposed to mule) shows myself.

I have heard of/seen, plenty of half TB Mules.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    One of my neighbors has a bright red mule out of a TB mare by a son of Secretariat. Not a train wreck at all. If you like mules, this one is very handsome and a very good mover. My neighbors are very serious about their mules and are firm believers in breeding good horses to good donks to get good mules-- e.g., the QH mare they use is out of a full sister to a national cutting horse ch.

I'm just partial to small ears and horse (as opposed to mule) shows myself.
    is this guy for sale? is there a link to more info on him? Id like to see him, you can PM me if you want.

Fish must be my neighbor because I was going to post the same thing. There are some local breeders of mules that cross their former eventing TB mare to get mules and her offspring are wonderful. They pack into the Sierras and compete at the Mule Days in Bishop. If I wanted a mule, I would seek their's out first (but as Fish said, I prefer horse shows (I can't say the small ears part because my friends tease me about the size of the ears on all my horses)).

but, never TB-Mule

Don't forget about how easy they are to feed. I drive by 25 head of them eveyday. The guy barely feeds them and they all look great.
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

can you guys direct me to a reputable TB-Mule breeder?

PLEASE

but, never TB-Mule

part of it is purely historical...among the old "classes" of mules there was not a mare base that was TB based...and the mares make the mules...now you do see currently a lot of the SW Western Mts who use an appendix based mare herd...and they are as close as you'd come in modern times...

it all comes down to the mama as to train wreck potential in this regard...

best
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

but, never TB-Mule

Actually I've seen quite afew of those. VERY nice riding mules. I remember I saw one in Griffth Park (Los Angeles) -- the owner was riding the mare (dam) and the foal was following along. Very elegant, nicely conformed foal -- the only thing that made it look like a mule were these L-O-N-G (but graceful) ears.

Check out www.luckythreeranch.com. They are just north of the Denver area and she has
    been doing this (TB mules) for several decades. Remember reading about her back in the
    late 80's and a friend visited her facility.

It's because of how shocked and horrified a ***TB*** mare would be, to give birth to a mule.

Sorry, I just had to say it
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Don't the mule racing folks use TB mares?
    Just checked their site and apparently, yes, they do: http://www.muleracing.org/mules_for_sale.htm

cool THANKs

awe, my TB mare would just LOVE her long-eared little darlin and she'd take ANYONE on who would dare pick on him. although my mares original breeder would probably have a heart attack if she found out...

I currently have 2 BLM burros (females, no plans on breeding), and they are the most amazing critters on this earth in way too many ways to mention here.

my grandfather rode a mule in the cavalry. he was the vet/farrier/trainer for the horses and he rode a mule..... guess why

anyway, ive always wanted a mule, but, my first love is TBs (something in the eyes/heart) the other day, I thought... HEY! maybe a TB-Mule, and friend said "there is a reason why they dont mix those"... so I went looking, and I couldnt find any.. perhaps I just cant find one "for sale" and there might be a reason for that too

thanks for the links. I will contact Meredith, and the racing mules site.
    Last edited by Jumpin_Horses; Jan. 2, 2009 at 02:20 PM.

OMG! I must own one of these in the future!

There's a guy near me who has a TB mule. She's lovely He even shows her in the hunters at our local saddle club.
    Y'all ain't right!

There is a HUGE racing mule industry and there's big money in it. Remember, the first three equid clones? They were actually siblings to the famous racing mule, Taz. So, plenty of breeders of TB mule crosses.

Hope that helps!

Kathy St.Martin
    Equine Reproduction Short Courses
    http://equine-reproduction.com

I can think of lots of reasons why but I'll hold my tongue!

is this guy for sale? is there a link to more info on him? Id like to see him, you can PM me if you want.
    I'm afraid that mule is pretty old by now-- he was showing 16 years ago-- back when I bought my daughter's pony from his next door neighbor (also a mule breeder).

Very interesting people, but I haven't had much contact with them for awhile, mules not being my thing.

(My daughter's [Arab x QH] pony was the result of a test breeding to see if that cutting-bred QH mare I mentioned could carry a pregnancy, having been the runt end of twins. They got 2 nice H/J ponies from her, then started using her to produce fancy mules.)

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    There is a HUGE racing mule industry and there's big money in it. Remember, the first three equid clones? They were actually siblings to the famous racing mule, Taz. So, plenty of breeders of TB mule crosses.

Hope that helps!

Kathy St.Martin
    Equine Reproduction Short Courses
    http://equine-reproduction.com
    I hadn't heard of mule racing before. I've heard of mule juming, at the State Fair and such. Interesting.

The prettiest mule I have ever seen was a hanovarian mule of all things. This mule was used for driving and was a very nice mover and actually didn't look very mulish. The ears weren't that much different from many WB ears are normally The owner was driving the mule at an Equine Affair demonstration doing a driving dressage demonstration.